Appreciation for Roy C!

mrbruce4

Just a short post to acknowledge my appreciation for Roy C.'s invaluable assistance with a resurrected pair of AR3s.  Roy accurately diagnosed a mismatch in the midranges and was able to get me set up with the correct replacement.  He also was able to do an expert repair of a woofer.  Without this major assistance, they would still be sitting, gathering dust.  Instead, they are singing!

Anyone who has dealt with Roy already knows the above, so I'm posting this as another data point for those not familiar with him.

Thanks again, Roy.

Couldn't agree more! 

Roy has assisted me on many restoration projects, from advice, crossover wiring diagrams, to sending me parts to repairing woofers, and rebuilding the mids for my 3's. One of the nicest gents you'll ever meet.

Glenn

Yes....one of the most unselfish people you come across in the audio world. He took this AR rookie and soooo patiently shared his time and knowledge to set me up correctly with the many sets of speakers I have redone. He is a great mentor and I am sure I have amused him with some of my ideas over the years....;) 

Thank you Roy for being so generous.

Another fan here. Roy has helped me MANY times over the years. He's part scientist, part artist and all gentleman.

Although we have a long-standing email relationship I got to meet Roy and his wife about a year ago when I was trying to liquidate the collection of late CSP member Joe Rutledge for Joe's wife, Kathy. Roy provided some parts for an unfinished restoration and drove all the way down here to NJ to buy a carload of stuff he didn't need and probably paid too much for,  just to help out Joe's widow (and to a lesser degree, me as well. I had to get that storage unit empty!) We had some time to relax and socialize, and two "speaker geeks" and their (very tolerant) wives had a very pleasant visit. Hope to do it again but without hauling speakers ?

Most of the readers here know Roy is responsible for much of the AR-3a restoration manual, perfecting the Hi-Vi tweeter mod, cooking up the ONLY goo appropriate for use on cloth surrounds, rebuilding AR mids, . . .  the list goes on. He is constantly experimenting and innovating AND--perhaps most significantly--sharing his knowledge and insights freely and unselfishly with fellow hobbyists like us. Roy has no "proprietary" or "secret" fixes or techniques. He enhances the hobby and makes this forum a great place to visit.

Kent

Ditto to everything stated thus far. Roy's contributions here have taught me a great deal. They are always offered with specific detail, good humor, and humility, but mostly, it is his enthusiasm and generosity that truly sets him apart.

23 hours ago, mrbruce4 said:

Just a short post to acknowledge my appreciation for Roy C.'s invaluable assistance with a resurrected pair of AR3s.  Roy accurately diagnosed a mismatch in the midranges and was able to get me set up with the correct replacement.  He also was able to do an expert repair of a woofer.  Without this major assistance, they would still be sitting, gathering dust.  Instead, they are singing!

Anyone who has dealt with Roy already knows the above, so I'm posting this as another data point for those not familiar with him.

Thanks again, Roy.

This is a great tribute to a very knowledgeable AR man!  I couldn’t agree more, and I have been dealing with Acoustic Research products nearly all my life, and I would run something by Roy before deciding on it when it comes to the vintage Acoustic Research products!  Roy has had such broad experience because he has seen and worked on so many Acoustic Research speakers!

Roy is also a fine gentleman, very gracious and thoughtful – and very nice, too!  What a huge asset to this forum of AR devotees!

--Tom Tyson

Yikes, I walk away from the forum for a few hours and you all start talking behind my back! Hey, although I'm working on it, "I ain't dead yet". :)

With the exception of my old friend Tom Tyson (who is all things AR, and should give paid AR tours of his basement), I've probably knocked around the technical particulars of AR speakers longer than most of you, but none of the regular contributors and friends posting in this thread can be accused of providing information any less freely than I do. I've learned more than you know from you guys.

Furthermore, here is a story about a forum member who complimented me above for being "generous"...lakecat (Jeff) acquired a bunch of audio stuff at an estate sale a few years ago. Along with AR speakers, there was a piece of tube equipment he wasn't interested in, so he offered it to me for peanuts. When he told me what it was I suggested he should not do that. Within a couple of weeks a surprise $400 showed up in my Paypal account after he completed a sale of a Marantz collectible! So, back at ya regarding the generosity thing, Jeff! (Btw, Jeff is in Ohio, I'm in NY, and we have never met...though he still owes me a beer and a barbecued brisket meal).

Seriously, other than to blush and say "thank you" I wasn't sure how to respond to this thread, but my appreciation for being a respected part of this gang, along with the friends I've found here, is easily equal to what you have posted above.

Thanks again,

Roy

3 hours ago, Chris1this1 said:

Would be very cool to shake hands with the man, the myth, the legend at Glenn’s Peekskill NY meet coming up on the 18th if it would work into Roy’s schedule. Either way, a real trailblazer for us all. 

Thanks Chris,

Speaking of trailblazing, you're the one rebuilding the AR tweeter I said could never be rebuilt!

I'll be making a decision on the Peekskill meet by this weekend, as some previous travel plans may be changing. It would be fun to get together. I've actually got some interesting tweeter stuff to run by you.

I looked at the forum when I got up this morning and was happy to see Roy had posted a response late last night.  Yesterday I thought these posts might be eulogies and was awaiting confirmation from someone in the know.  Good morning Roy and thanks for all of your help. 

Vive le Roi !

What did Mark Twain say? "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." We're certainly glad that's the case here!

This is quite the august group, without question. The amount of collective technical, historical and anecdotal knowledge about AR is extraordinary, in my view. And quite unlike most other social platforms, even when there is the rare disagreement, they're generally handled in a most agreeable fashion, with no bridges being permanently burned.

I've been here for 17 years and have enjoyed every minute. If I live another 17 years, I plan on continuing to visit every day.

19 hours ago, RoyC said:

Furthermore, here is a story about a forum member who complimented me above for being "generous"...lakecat (Jeff) acquired a bunch of audio stuff at an estate sale a few years ago. Along with AR speakers, there was a piece of tube equipment he wasn't interested in, so he offered it to me for peanuts. When he told me what it was I suggested he should not do that. Within a couple of weeks a surprise $400 showed up in my Paypal account after he completed a sale of a Marantz collectible! So, back at ya regarding the generosity thing, Jeff! (Btw, Jeff is in Ohio, I'm in NY, and we have never met...though he still owes me a beer and a barbecued brisket meal).

Ha.....the only thing I owe you mister is a hard time!....:)….and it's a SMOKED brisket for your dining pleasure....twelve hours of slave work but they are scrumptious. I wasn't being generous with that Marantz Model 7.... without you mentioning that I should look at that again.....I would have passed on it. When I saw the completed sales of them on Ebay, I about crapped my pants! That was how sorry of an audio guy I am/was..lol. I paid $600 for it....took it to an audio shop near me and spent $100 for new tubes and a going over. I put it on Ebay and got nearly five grand for it. One of the best deals I had ever done so a ten percent helpers fee went to the MAN!....:) I will make it up there to see you one of these day my good man....and as you know....always welcome here too.....

3 hours ago, lakecat said:

Ha.....the only thing I owe you mister is a hard time!....:)….and it's a SMOKED brisket for your dining pleasure....twelve hours of slave work but they are scrumptious. I wasn't being generous with that Marantz Model 7.... without you mentioning that I should look at that again.....I would have passed on it. When I saw the completed sales of them on Ebay, I about crapped my pants! That was how sorry of an audio guy I am/was..lol. I paid $600 for it....took it to an audio shop near me and spent $100 for new tubes and a going over. I put it on Ebay and got nearly five grand for it. One of the best deals I had ever done so a ten percent helpers fee went to the MAN!....:) I will make it up there to see you one of these day my good man....and as you know....always welcome here too.....

That was a great and a fine thing to do Jeff!

Cheers to all!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...