FREE AR3s!

Stimpy

Free AR3s on CL

Free, and still there!  Why?  From the seller :

" Have a pair of AR-3 loudspeaker units from 1968. These were state of the art in their day, but no longer work properly as speakers.  However, the solid walnut cabinets are in excellent condition. Will give to someone who wants to rebuild the speakers or re-purpose the cabinets (or the wood in them)."

I hope someone here, that will appreciate them, can Score these! 

Good luck.

00m0m_cLXT7jdVQoe_1200x900.jpg

3 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Free AR3s on CL

Free, and still there!  Why?  From the seller :

" Have a pair of AR-3 loudspeaker units from 1968. These were state of the art in their day, but no longer work properly as speakers.  However, the solid walnut cabinets are in excellent condition. Will give to someone who wants to rebuild the speakers or re-purpose the cabinets (or the wood in them)."

I hope someone here, that will appreciate them, can Score these! 

Good luck.

00m0m_cLXT7jdVQoe_1200x900.jpg

If they were on EBay they would be long gone by now.

you could list them for ALMOST free just enough to cover the fees.

not knocking craigslist, just saying    You get far more exposure there and that's what moves things out

Bill

Thanks owlsplace, just when I'm half way through finishing the sweater. And to think, it cost me extra wool to fit your long strapping form.

You know what they say about something being too good to be true?

What if he's serial killer? Or mad at the world. Or, maybe he blames AR speakers as being bad to him for some strange reason.

Anyway, I emailed the dude and waiting for a reply

fm

PS Listening to "Jean-Pierre Rampal's 'Picnic Suite' on  CBS vinyl. Just one more great thing about vinyl is that if you're lucky to find it, whereas with CD's many titles are just not and probably will never be reissued.

Cleaned it two years ago and it sounds good/excellent for a used $2.99 record. I highly recommend it for anyone who likes this kind of  suedo-jazz music.

And "stimpy", thanks for the heads up. If I get them I'll be sure to let everyone know.

Guess I should pay more attention to CL. Those are a fairly short drive from here.

I did respond to the posting (thanks Stimpy) but doubt I'll get them. There are a few guys in northern NJ--some even closer to those 3s than I am--who scour the thrifts, CL, yard sales etc. for all vintage audio gear to flip. Oh well.....

-Kent

I did find these but, no 3's.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/5685930940.html

But, at that price anything I have might have must be priceless?

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/5732205683.html    Wait, I just found them again, wtf.

And you owlsplace.com. these are for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Research-AR-5-Vintage-Speakers-AR5-Fully-Restored-See-Video-Demo-/222220502238?hash=item33bd5fc4de:g:WsYAAOSwanRXgmj2

7 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

Thanks owlsplace, just when I'm half way through finishing the sweater. And to think, it cost me extra wool to fit your long strapping form.

Glad you chose wool -- poly is so gauche ... ;)

10 hours ago, ar_pro said:

I emailed my contact info hours ago, but as yet there's been no reply.

I'd imagine that this poor guy has been inundated with responses, and maybe some cash offers, as well!

It has been all over AK also....but in looking at pic, it seems to be a joke. I mean the guy has them on cardboard and a backdrop for a free pickup?...lol And dozens of posters have said no email returns. Maybe a way to get emails?

23 minutes ago, Liangshan Marsh said:

Hi David!

Where is the thread mint pair AR1's on AK listed at 3K, I can't find that ads. Thanks

You have to join AK, and become a member, in order to see Bartertown.  There's a $25.00 membership sign up fee, that lasts one year.  Once joined, you can see and access several hidden forums, including Bartertown.

52 minutes ago, lakecat said:

It has been all over AK also....but in looking at pic, it seems to be a joke. I mean the guy has them on cardboard and a backdrop for a free pickup?...lol And dozens of posters have said no email returns. Maybe a way to get emails?

Good angle on the motive for doing this. Like most, I'm just curious as to why. Maybe he just wanted to watch a feeding frenzy.

1 hour ago, stan461 said:

Good angle on the motive for doing this. Like most, I'm just curious as to why. Maybe he just wanted to watch a feeding frenzy.

It's absolutely possible that it's not a legitimate offer, which is why a throwaway email address is so useful in this circumstance.

The 2nd thing I did after trying to contact him was an image search of the AR-3 to find a match for his speakers, but came up empty.

It was always a long shot, but worth the minimal effort if it paid off.

2 hours ago, Stimpy said:

You have to join AK, and become a member, in order to see Bartertown.  There's a $25.00 membership sign up fee, that lasts one year.  Once joined, you can see and access several hidden forums, including Bartertown.

Thanks for the INFO Stimpy.. I am thinking about should I Join $25.00 membership  sign up fees to see the special section of posts, ad etc, instead pay for the Costco one year second membership  card.... :)

The listing has been pulled. The photo has a film graininess quality to it. Looks like it was a legit listing to me displaying a child-like innocence as to the amount of interest it would generate. I prefer to use the phone when dealing with this type of listing but their phone would have been ringing off the hook if they did :)

Roger

8 hours ago, DavidDru said:

Meanwhile there is a mint original pair of AR1's over on AK Bartertown listed at $3,000!

I thought this is an other mint AR1's pair... but not I already saw this pair been listing   inEbay couple days ago... and It will be shipped with the super safely method packing...

71E3B71ED64541DA926C7E2883B4D3A3.jpg8-16-2016 11-47-26 AM.jpg

5 hours ago, Liangshan Marsh said:

Thanks for the INFO Stimpy.. I am thinking about should I Join $25.00 membership  sign up fees to see the special section of posts, ad etc, instead pay for the Costco one year second membership  card.... :)

If you value your money, you're better off with the extra Costco membership.    If you like very good deals, on audio equipment, try AK!!!  Don't say that I didn't warn you!   B)

Archived