Picked up some more AR speakers

DavidR

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My AR10pi speakers are the MkII version. They have polyfiber and not fiberglass stuffing. Could this be original?

I still need to peek at the crossovers and see what's in there for caps. Hoping for Sprauges but I've seen pics with Callins caps in some.

On 2/2/2018 at 4:40 AM, DavidR said:

My AR10pi speakers are the MkII version. They have polyfiber and not fiberglass stuffing. Could this be original?

Could you better describe the stuffing ( better if you would post some pictures of it)  and  exactly weigh it? Both these factors are very important for woofer damping.

Luigi

12 hours ago, DavidR said:

I still need to peek at the crossovers and see what's in there for caps. Hoping for Sprauges but I've seen pics with Callins caps in some.

David,

Polyfiber was used as the cabinet damping material in later AR-11's and 10pi's. I believe it was 11 or 12 ounces.

Roy

55 minutes ago, DavidR said:

Does anyone have the spec for the black paint used in the 9 series speakers? Mostly used on the backs of the speakers.

Eastern Chem-Lac 37038 Lusterless Black H-8241.  It's in the AR-9 Cabinet Plans that Ken uploaded.  Cabinet Drawing 1 references Drawing 6, which lists the paint, in Note 6.

5a78fb8927de3_AR9Black-Drawing012.thumb.jpg.e4265459877f6f9aec1958e3d0d3149a.jpg

26 minutes ago, Stimpy said:

Eastern Chem-Lac 37038 Lusterless Black H-8241

Here is what a google search turned out.

http://www.randolphproducts.com/products/industrial-coatings/#ecl

It is definitely not a flat black. Not really a black black. It does have a slight luster. I recently used some chalkboard black on some AR 6 baffles. Now that is a black black. 

If the paint doesn't match perfectly it would not be too hard to do the entire back and base. I was just going to use a sharpie on the little rub on one of my backs.

fSsBdpCh.jpg 

10 minutes ago, DavidR said:

I did some exploring. No work done to the  crossovers and it looks like their age has caught up with them. I'm glad I only hooked these up to a inexpensive amp.

Does anyone know what the DCR of the woofers should read?

David,

The caps are not Sprague, but I have never known them to damage an amp.

The DCR of the AR 12 inch woofer is  2.6 ohms.

Roy

On 1/31/2018 at 1:57 PM, alkermes said:

First of all, congratulations DavidR, I am envious!  Good luck with your restoration, I'm sure they will be marvellous.

Glenn's tip just caught my eye, I had never thought of a cast-off cabinet as a source for veneer.  Someone was showing me a pair of derelict Optimus speakers which have a beautiful veneer.  Maybe there is a way to repurpose them, they are large speakers, lots of nice veneer (looked like walnut).

That's where I've harvested all my old veneer. Old trashed or re-veneered speaker projects are perfect because it ha aged and will blend in well with the surrounding veneer.

I've put out requests as well for veneer from people I know are doing a re-veneer, send the old stuff to me!

Glenn

On 2/6/2018 at 8:34 PM, DavidR said:

On 2/2/2018 at 4:40 AM, DavidR said:

10pi_xo3.JPG

David,

In a previous post of mine I asked you to describe the type and weigh of polyester present in your 10 Pis. That was because in the two European AR factories were used different types of polyester wadding during AR 10 Pi and AR 11 MKII lifespan. If I have time to disassemble some AR 10 Pi to show it I'll take some pictures and post them. The weigh of the poliester wadding changes according to the type of polyester used.

By the photo you posted I can recognize the type of  poliester wadding used in your  AR 10 Pi. The AR engineering file states that were used 10 oz of that type of polyester. Anyway, I've found in AR 10 Pi and 11 MKII  an average of about 250g (8.82 oz, that is -12% compared to 10 oz) ) with this type of white polyester . As I'm interested in knowing the polyester weigh of the AR 10 Pi and 11 MKII manufactured in the US, could you please weigh it in both speakers?

Thank you

PS I post the engineering file (sheet 2) of the AR 10 MKII. It dates 18 Apr 1977, and the revision of cabinet wadding dates 9 Nov 1977. The AR 11 MKII engineering file show the same dates of revisions to new design (18 Apr 1977) and change of wadding ( item 11, 9 Nov 1977) and the signatures of the same engineer (probably Tim Holl). 

Thank you

Drawing ar 10 pi assy  18 apr 77 HD jpeg.jpg

AR11 MKII.jpg

picture1.jpg.46a7eb2634a0bdd3a68054f1c6e7f32a.jpg

This is an European AR-10 Pi MKII showing a soft multi-coloured polyester stuffing but other type of stuffing were used as well. The white polyester was only used at the end of production. Obviously, the stuffing weight changed depending on the different materials.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally recovered from the flu and took some time to pull all the drivers from the 9's and record the part numbers and voice coil DCR (below). (FYI: I always label/choose a left and right speaker when restoring).

All the drivers except one tweeter had replacement stickers on the magnet (WTF?).

Since three of the woofers are late production models will I loose bass? Or can I expect them to perform as if all drivers were the originals?

image.png.69327ac6dc7cebd4813a06aab10e9295.png