Picked up some more AR speakers

DavidR

The phono box sat half done for a longtime. I had a bad slip and fall on ice while walking the dog just after Xmas. Landed hard on my pelvis. Was in bad shape for a while and then mega-bursitis  hit my left shoulder requiring cortisone shot. I don't know if you can see it but the box has a sliding plexiglas cover. Much better than stuffed into cubby holes in my desk.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My original tweeter 200011-1 went OL on the voice coil and the other is the 200084-1 replacement that works well. I decided to go with the Midwest Speaker replica/replacements just so they would match.

Today I got my two Midwest Speaker tweeter replacements HERE

I'm disappointed with what I got. They do look very much like the original driver. The hook-up blades on one were bent; the other had one bent and the other loose. They were very nice when I called the Returns Dept. They offered to let me return them or $20 off if I wanted to epoxy the terminal that was loose. Both gave me a vc measurement of 4.1 ohms so I said let me listen to the one without the loose terminal. I will say that they sound VERY much like the AR tweeter except output was a bit lower. I also thought the upper treble was missing so I got my Test CD and started to listen from 6000Hz @ -10dB and up. All was good until about 14kHz. I thought the output of the Chinese replacements was lower. I then went to 18KHz (I had to turn up the volume for my old ears to hear it) the AR was good. No sound from the replica and then a loud 'snap' and no sound again. They are going back. I might try another pair.

It could have been the way they packed and shipped them. One stacked on the other with no cushioning between top and bottom, just on the sides. I'll try another pair.

It was diminished output at higher frequencies and got worse the higher the test tone was.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Glenn !

The first set of tweeters were not well packaged and arrived with some damage. MidWest Speakers was excellent about replacing them and packaging them per my request. The second set sound VERY good. If there's a difference between them and the AR 200084 then I can't detect it. (there's another thread that deals more with this). The original AR 200011-1 went OL. I don't know if these can be repaired or not. It had low output in the HF when I bought them.

I'm going to make the woofer swap/change per Fedeluigi and Aadams suggested.

My first thought on the 9 with the soft bottom was to pull the lower xover board and coat the inside first with Z-poxy, then do the base. I think the bottom 'plate' with the hole detaches. The coat that and finally address the lifting veneer.

20 hours ago, DavidR said:

I've given the 10Pi a few hours of listening and was listening to Grover Washington Jr.  'A Secret Place' last night on vinyl with my tube amp. These speakers are really opening up. OMG! Loving them.

What is vinyl and what is a tube amp?   LOL   Seriously, seems you've got the right equipment combo here to make the 10pi's shine.   Congratulations.   But I'm really encouraging you to get onto those AR9's so that I can compare your results to mine...especially with what caps you use on that dodgy UMR.

1 hour ago, AR surround said:

What is vinyl and what is a tube amp?   LOL   Seriously, seems you've got the right equipment combo here to make the 10pi's shine.   Congratulations.   But I'm really encouraging you to get onto those AR9's so that I can compare your results to mine...especially with what caps you use on that dodgy UMR.

Im waiting as well.

Focusing on what arsurround said, umr cap.     The 9's are truely the best i have, but the 3 way has its strong points as well.      You will love the ar9, if you have the room for it.

Do you own a 3a?    For comparison sake?

2 hours ago, AR surround said:

I'm really encouraging you to get onto those AR9's so that I can compare your results to mine...especially with what caps you use on that dodgy UMR.

The 9's will be ALL NPE caps except for Vishay 1837 bypass caps on the tweeter and UMR npe's

I've decided to use film in the 90's. Clarity CSA on the tweeter and UMR.

1 hour ago, DavidR said:

The 9's will be ALL NPE caps except for Vishay 1837 bypass caps on the tweeter and UMR npe's

Great idea on the 9s.

They go LOW....but placement is important.

Carver power to them?

Enjoy.

2 hours ago, DavidR said:

Just to tweek your memory...I found that my AR9 was somewhat more forgiving with a poly cap on the UMR than was my AR90.  The Solens were a disaster even with a F&F bypass and the Jentzens just a bit better...but I never tried the Jentzens with a F&F bypass.   So I'm very curious how the Clarity with bypass works out for you on that AR90 UMR.

1 hour ago, AR surround said:

So I'm very curious how the Clarity with bypass works out for you on that AR90 UMR.

Me too.

Using AudioCap Theta on the tweeter caps and a Cornell Dublier 940C on the UMR cap

Just in case I have some Mundorf ECaps on hand and ready to go.

44 minutes ago, DavidR said:

I'm DONE with Carver amps.

I have a Limited Edition Studio Reference amp by Emotiva; the SA250. Actually, I have two.

AR9's for the fronts, AR90's for the surrounds, and AR91 for the center and AR10pi's for rears.   Power the fronts and center with a new 3 channel Emotiva and power the surrounds and rears with your two existing ones.  Now what a great 7.1 system that would make!!! ?

41 minutes ago, AR surround said:

AR9's for the fronts, AR90's for the surrounds, and AR91 for the center and AR10pi's for rears.   Power the fronts and center with a new 3 channel Emotiva and power the surrounds and rears with your two existing ones.  Now what a great 7.1 system that would make!!! ?

9's for the fronts and Bose 901_II for the rears: 2.2 system each powered by SA250 amps. The 10Pi are staying on the tube amp. I may loan the 91's to my son in place of the TSW610's.

Bose 901 sounds like a great choice for rear speakers, since they were designed to provide "reflected" sound. You like them?

20 minutes ago, JKent said:

Bose 901 sounds like a great choice for rear speakers, since they were designed to provide "reflected" sound. You like them?

I do like them. The acoustic version not the ported; althou the ported are very durable.

I've had a pair since college (early 70's). They create a nice rumble. There is something about listening to a full range driver. They are not as detailed or articulate as my AR speakers but are nice speakers. I had my EQ rebuilt by DHS Speaker Service and it made a big difference, especially in the treble.

127_2782.JPG