AR3 sells for over $3000!

AR surround

I'm gasping for air on this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-Research-AR3-AR-3-speakers-one-owner-SN-C1440-1425-/322576662250?hash=item4b1b113eea%3Ag%3AczsAAOSwPWRZWbGI&nma=true&si=%2BZL9iSi%2BBZpmQTuxI0yfYtDpCEo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I guess it is the collectability that drives the prices on the 3; and perhaps the "low" serial number of these particular units.

Yeah, that certainly was a steep price. By all appearances, they seemed to be an exceptional pair of AR-3's, but the posting did not even include a pic to verify the drivers or a description to attest to their functionality or performance. What struck me was the contrast between that sale and this other auction that occurred during the same week.

EB AR-3.jpg

EB AR-LST.jpg

The 3's are the popular kid on the block these days - hence the premium - however - until the money changes hands, this is only a closed auction with promise to pay - more than once i have seen buyers remorse take place on eBay and the speakers resurface - most often in the case of high-priced AR-1s, this may happen here too, or not.....but i think there are quite a few more reasonably priced pairs with actual photos of drivers.....on side note....sad i missed those LSTs (was on cruise) as they are only thing i might consider replacing my current AR-1 / AR-3st pairs with......

Yes, it seems that people reneging on ebay is more prevalent than one would think.   And you cannot even leave negative feedback for the offender if you file a non-paying bidder claim and recover your ebay fees.   So let's see if these particular 3's reappear for sale again.

Anyway, those LST's ended up going at a bargain price.   For my particular situation, the LST's are more complicated to place than my AR9's, which come with their own built-in "stands."  I could probably find a home for a pair of LST's, but my better half has this bizarre idea that placing furniture and pictures takes precedence over AR speakers.  However, once one does find a location for the LST's one can just keep stacking up pairs of them like Frank.  LOL

21 hours ago, DavidR said:

Just crazy

is it?

price is relative to ones wallet and his-her desire.   Certainly over my budget on all my speakers combined.

However, inflation adj.......those cost 250 each new (1966)?  oz of gold was (call it 35 usd then)  (or use your own metric if you hate gold-lol) and you can compare.

4 hours ago, AR surround said:

Yes, it seems that people reneging on ebay is more prevalent than one would think.   And you cannot even leave negative feedback for the offender if you file a non-paying bidder claim and recover your ebay fees.   So let's see if these particular 3's reappear for sale again.

Anyway, those LST's ended up going at a bargain price.   For my particular situation, the LST's are more complicated to place than my AR9's, which come with their own built-in "stands."  I could probably find a home for a pair of LST's, but my better half has this bizarre idea that placing furniture and pictures takes precedence over AR speakers.  However, once one does find a location for the LST's one can just keep stacking up pairs of them like Frank.  LOL

3-27-14work BEST BEST larger 5 copy copy 2.jpg

Did I hear my name mentioned? You know, it’s not difficult to lift the rock that I reside under.

There are AR men, and then there are AR men.

When I was married, there wasn’t ever any demands made regarding or against my Hi-Fi set-up, she knew that my speakers were part of my life. Henceforth as far back as 1989, my LST’s took precedence in our living-room. Of course it helped that, that, that thing liked much of the same music as I did but, even if she didn’t, I would have not made any concessions regarding my owning what I felt then as I do now; one of the greatest speakers ever made.

When we parted ways, I allowed her to take anything except my four LST’s and my 300 vinyl disks. 

Presently, I have one spare pair that are not being used. As soon as I find another pair locally, I will stack them also, even if it means selling my AR-9’s to make room.  And that’s a true story.

FM

On 7/15/2017 at 6:18 PM, jayrosc said:

These have been for sale near me for a month. No takers.

https://albany.craigslist.org/ele/d/pair-ar-lst-speakers/6176438387.html

Wow, that’s a good deal.

Although that’s about a 7+ hour drive for me I’m feeling tempted. The new-ish car only has just over 16 thousand miles on it and has the biggest trunk in its class not including its fold-down rear seats, so I'm good to go in that sense. Ah, gee why did you have to post this information here full well knowing that I and other LST freaks might see it?

But, however I may desire and want these LST’s, most of you on this site should by now know who lives close to that distant destination from me, why it’s………….

And to those that I’m being mysterious about, just think, we could become friends merely by having the same speakers.

P.S. this just changed my good feelings as I've been listening to 10 brand new LP's that came this week of classic jazz performers.

Damn to hell, let me get back to "Oscar Peterson" before I become any more worrisome than this information has made me feel already.

P.S.II  "jayrosc", thanks for the heads up. As they say, "Don't shoot the messenger".

P.S. III jayrosc, I just did a google map search and again, damn to hell it's only a 3 hour drive, I was incorrect or google is.

Now,  my musical listening mood is really torn.

FM

7 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

......................................................................, even if it means selling my AR-9’s to make room.  And that’s a true story.

FM

Frank, Please PM me if when you decide to sell your AR9's.

16 hours ago, DavidR said:

yea, however I think this is too conservative in its calculations...

gvt inflation figures arent inline with reality.  Many economists have commented the gvt has changed their metrics to hide true inflation.

While this offers a convenient view of prices, in reality most things have risen more than this

I dont want to start a debate on the topic though.   Its fairly obvious the public gets ripped off through inflation, as costs rise, even with production efficiencies and outsourcing for cheaper labor on top of it. 

Point?   A good sounding wood veneer speaker produced today in a First world country would cost How Much?      Todays price would reflect all sorts of production efficiencies and a questionable labor pool that would be paid 10-12 dollars an hour with crappy health benefits.     There is Demand for nice sounding speakers, but the market isnt producing a wood veneer great sounding speaker for 1500 dollars today.    From what I see, most of the "better speakers" cost between 5000 to 10000 dollars, and there isnt a 12 inch woofer inside.

The ar3 was the Gold standard in speakers.........or one of the few that kept up with true inflation.    Luckily for me, I got mine under the original price of the 1960's.

Best Regards.

ps. a clean 1969 Camaro, Mustang, Barracuda  also surpasses these phony gvt cpi figures as well........ as does many of the quality items of the past.....including a vintage firearm.   I am not talking about Art either. 

On 7/16/2017 at 7:44 PM, AR surround said:

Frank,

My crystal ball sees that pair of LST's for sale in Albany in your future!!!

LST.jpg

AR surround, I fear that you're reading my mind as I sit in this room often and visualize the same thing.

This is very scary for me to actually see a rendition of it before me.

Five or so years ago, the north-east coast experienced a slight tremor/earthquake. To the point of windows vibrating and lamps shaking, I almost soiled myself watching it all happen.

The ramifications of another tremor is even more frightful if I were to have my third set of LSTs arranged like this. Geologically it shouldn't have happened as central Jersey has much sand as it was a flood-basin for the last two glaciers in the last 10 and 20 thousand year period. Besides this area of the east coast geologically speaking is very old and was at one time connected to Western Europe so, it's anyone's guess.

However, I do have the speakers and identical amplifier ready to go. Personally, I don't think it would make an earth-moving difference, although I'm tempted of course. Who wouldn't be?

I do enjoy your sense of humor though.

P.S.  And AR surround, kid yourself not, the stands that lovingly hold my double LSTs can support 500 lbs as they are being used, so no fear about a weight problem. I still think this is hysterical, thank you very much as I enjoyed this immensely.

On 7/15/2017 at 6:58 AM, AR surround said:

Still don't see the feed back yet...From the time bids ended to now with domestic shipping I guess the buyer had already received the item,,, most of the case the buyers don't leave feedback that they received the item but they are not happy with it ( they can't return with any reasons) or they control their positive feed back by the way they wait for the seller leaving feed back first..
---->>> Updated: 7/31/17... Just read the discussion about this pair over the foreign AR speakers forums, so far as I know the winner from Vietnam and the guy is trying to find the third party Oversea shipping company ... Unknown if the item has been paid yet..? Or some one from American has bidded for them... And this Guy owned the AR3s with very low serial numbers: C-0168..

20479436_564543610382809_4215699497274497644_n.jpg

BTW, presently on EB  there is an pair of AR-3s,great cabinets condition and great drivers all original components, BUT with so so strange mod extra tweeters..( I have no idea what are extra tweeters in there, are these tweeters , the sealed filled port holes, still air leaks.. etc and and when the extra tweeter has been added , who knows if the X.O  has been touched or modified  since the seller stated :" Fresh out of the estate of the original owner:" ...)  but some people don't care that non original condition, bids are up to $1575.00 now with three days left..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/382167873492?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

1a2.thumb.jpg.fc6de371f0fe92fb8449280be0120184.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01212_6dPwmO5QeRt_1200x900.thumb.jpg.e6c5542949df08904382b5944a190558.jpg

I recognize the tweeters, they are Motorola piezo-electric tweeters.  They probably date from late 70s, when they were popular in sound reinforcement speakers as super-tweeters.

Tis a head scratcher as the speaker terminals on back were changed with some instructions written on back so I assume the crossover was messed with. This seller could wind up with his/her hands full with this sale with advertising as all original........

7-23-17

Well it's 4:17PM EST and those AR3's sold for and even number of $2,000.00

In my opinion, in no way is a pair of 3's or 3a's ever worth that amount especially being bastardized as these were.

This craziness regarding AR-3's and AR-3a's  prices has really reached absurd levels and IMHO is very unwarranted!

P.S 7:00P.M.. Just came off of the auction and there seems to be a crazy tendency to list 3a's and 3's immediately at absurd prices as a new 'lister' has just now offered. I guess sheep do follow. 

Archived