Think they can be saved?

DavidDru

AR-90's with no original drivers I presume?

00D0D_iOqoJdhTMKa_600x450.jpg

Okay, so they upgraded the drivers since the tweeter failed and the surrounds were shot on the other drivers. Now they sound really good ;)

Maybe check and see if the original drivers are available. They may be worth more than the speakers if any are still serviceable

Roger

Ha, ha!

For a second, I thought that wire going around the middle was where the cabinet had been divided in two!

Even if the cabinets & crossovers are in good shape, re-populating that box is going to get pricey. The going rate for AR-9 mids & tweeters is around $75-$100/each, and an authentic 8" lower mid could be $150. I'm thinking the AR-90 woofer is about $50, when available.

00l0l_6LdRFb86swS_600x450.jpg

$100 for the cabinets if they're in good shape and the grills are all there and don't need new fabric. Driver hole changes are easy enough to change back.

I figure a 90% chance the crossovers are original and unmodded, because most frankenspeaker builders haven't a clue about the need to change crossovers for driver changes.

Those are some awesome speakers. They may be a good match for my Franken AR 2ax's. I know from experience that buying empty cabinets and acquiring the correct drivers can get real expensive fast.

IMG_0334_zpsnqxdiofs.jpg 

You could theoretically wind up with some nice AR90's. It might be more economical to buy the ones Vintage AR has for sale. I wonder what GD70 may have to say? And what about that Yamaha Receiver? That could be the icing on the cake.

The time to buy empty cabinets is when you notice that you have enough parts in your spares locker to build another speaker. I just acquired a pair of AR-11 cabinets, for which I've already had the drivers and the crossovers sitting idle in boxes for a while. Pretty good buy at $50 the pair.

A few years back I built myself a second AR turntable the same way. It's amazing how spare parts can accumulate.

1 hour ago, larrybody said:

. They may be a good match for my Franken AR 2ax's.

Larrybody, I see a pair of AR-4&1/2's there ... pull the tweet, plug the hole, drop in a single cap and voila, instant garage speakers ... ;)

Roger

1 hour ago, genek said:

The time to buy empty cabinets is when you notice that you have enough parts in your spares locker to build another speaker. I just acquired a pair of AR-11 cabinets, for which I've already had the drivers and the crossovers sitting idle in boxes for a while. Pretty good buy at $50 the pair.

A few years back I built myself a second AR turntable the same way. It's amazing how spare parts can accumulate.

Yes.

This is the Zen way of doing things. Those turntable parts caused that turntable to be built!

4 hours ago, larrybody said:

Those are some awesome speakers. They may be a good match for my Franken AR 2ax's. I know from experience that buying empty cabinets and acquiring the correct drivers can get real expensive fast.

IMG_0334_zpsnqxdiofs.jpg 

You could theoretically wind up with some nice AR90's. It might be more economical to buy the ones Vintage AR has for sale. I wonder what GD70 may have to say? And what about that Yamaha Receiver? That could be the icing on the cake.

These to me are donor speakers. I would pull the mids and pots and sell them, strip as much veneer as possible for future cab repairs and call it a day. 

The CL AR90's, that would have me thinking for a while. The cabs look pretty good, but are they worth the effort finding all the correct drivers? They would be tempting for a long term project.

21 hours ago, GD70 said:

These to me are donor speakers. I would pull the mids and pots and sell them, strip as much veneer as possible for future cab repairs and call it a day. 

These were actually giving to me when I drove to Dayton to pick up a nice set of 2a's. The mids and pots will be saved, but I really hauled them home for the veneer. 

20 minutes ago, DavidDru said:

Texted the seller and asked what happened to the original drivers.  He said "they are still inside. I only replaced the speakers and did some rewiring."  Oii.

Long gone apparently. 

Too bad, if he had those tucked away somewhere I suspect you would be on your way!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, DavidDru said:

SO what drivers are shared between the AR9 and AR90?

LMR UMR and tweeter....90 uses AR12/48S/92 spec 10" woofers, 9 uses AR11/58S/91 12" woofers

Archived