AR3a Unfinished Pine Plywood Cabinets

Manhattanman

Just found a pair of AR3a speakers in the rainy trash this morning. They're drying in my hallway, now. When I first saw them I thought they were homemade because I'd never seen quality cabinet veneers made from pine. Then, after reading the cabinet page on this site, I realized they were factory made. Apparently, they've never had finish or vinyl of any type. They are described here as "unfinished pine plywood utility cabinets".

My questions follow: Did AR intend that these cabinets remain unfinished. If so, why? Can they at least be oiled with something without interfering with cosmetic integrity?

I had collected several PIC of the minty ARa3 from google recently (unknown serial) . Here is couple PIC of the incredible minty AR3a unfinished pine.

FYI I had saw a pair of AR3a unfinished pine sold for $900 over a month ago, in Craigslist Wichita, KS near Kansas City...

111.JPG1111.JPG1.JPG11.JPG.

Manhattanman, nice score. They were sold like this so end user could finish (often paint) to their liking to match décor. That being said to find unfinished "unfinished" pine cabs is a bonus at this late date some 40ish years later! Hopefully the rain and time have not destroyed the cabs integrity, pics will be helpful.

Drivers if original are keepers for sure!

Thanks, Stupidhead:

I haven't even taken off the grill cloth yet. The mitered corner joints are starting to very, very slightly separate, but nothing serious. I like plywood better than particle board, anyway. I'll post pics later.

Hoo boy, that sounds like some excellent trash-pickin'. Congrats. The solid wood front nosing is normally birch, not pine, so that when situated on bookshelves, the unfinished pine is sometimes not even in view. It is a somewhat uncommon finish, and it often looks great, and if the cabinets are in decent condition, you may wish to restore these with very minimal finish, if any at all. The same finish was offered on the earlier AR-3's as well.

AR-3 blonde.jpg

I have 5's and 6's in unfinished pine. I built up a clear shellac finish on them to prevent any further deterioration of the wood. Also have an orphan 4x in pine but it has been modded.

Nice find and at that price you can afford to spend some money on restoration.

Roger

On 5/7/2016 at 2:08 PM, ra.ra said:

Hoo boy, that sounds like some excellent trash-pickin'. Congrats. The solid wood front nosing is normally birch, not pine, so that when situated on bookshelves, the unfinished pine is sometimes not even in view. It is a somewhat uncommon finish, and it often looks great, and if the cabinets are in decent condition, you may wish to restore these with very minimal finish, if any at all. The same finish was offered on the earlier AR-3's as well.

AR-3 blonde.jpg

Without exception, the front moldings on all of the utility cabinets were always birch.  Solid-stock pine was never used for this purpose.  Birch is not an expensive wood, and it matches the pine color very closely.  All utility cabinets were fabricated from plywood rather than MDF or NovaPly panels, as the finish is already in place.  Plywood, on the other hand, doesn't hold veneer as well as MDF-type wood panels, so manufacturers got away from using plywood on veneered cabinets.  --Tom Tyson 

Manhattanman, congrats on the find.  Hopefully their age was the only reason the owner tossed them.

Before you proceed too quickly with those, read teh AR3a restoration manual provided here on this web site.  It will provide you with all the insight you might ever need,  Follow that up with questions and of course there ar eplenty of past threads on these beauties.  Even removing the grilles is not easy and worth being carefull.

13 hours ago, tysontom said:

Without exception, the front moldings on all of the utility cabinets were always birch.  Solid-stock pine was never used for this purpose.  Birch is not an expensive wood, and it matches the pine color very closely.  All utility cabinets were fabricated from plywood rather than MDF or NovaPly panels, as the finish is already in place.  Plywood, on the other hand, doesn't hold veneer as well as MDF-type wood panels, so manufacturers got away from using plywood on veneered cabinets.  --Tom Tyson 

AR never used furniture grade plywood like this unfortunately:

birch.plywood.jpg

Roger

2 hours ago, tysontom said:

Why would they?

Tom,

Rhetorical, I guess ... they wouldn't have even if it was available as it would have cost more than the veneer. I think I would be using it if I was doing my own cabinets though.

Roger

11 hours ago, owlsplace said:

Tom,

Rhetorical, I guess ... they wouldn't have even if it was available as it would have cost more than the veneer. I think I would be using it if I was doing my own cabinets though.

Roger

KLH used some marine plywood for their early cabinets, but it was expensive, heavier and served no real purpose, and the company soon moved to MDF-type panels for veneered cabinets.  It was part of the "trial-and-error" period at KLH in the late 1950s.  Marine plywood is typically 9-13 ply and is stronger than cabinet plywood, but it's not necessary for speaker cabinets.  

--Tom Tyson

Sorry about not responding to everyone's posts earlier, but I was locked out of my account Saturday afternoon. I emailed the moderator/admin 4 times and got no response. Eventually, I tried resetting my password, so for now at least, I'm back in. I'll post pics later. They definitely need new foam surrounds. Both look to have original drivers.

As near as I can tell from the driver photos shown on the 3a restoration page, these speakers were manufactured in 1974.

And no, Liangshan, the back paper's gone. Staple marks are evident and backs are painted black.

I'm still having to reset my password if I want to log in. Can someone who has personal contact information with the moderators please let them know about my predicament? I get no response when emailing them.

On 9 maggio 2016 at 5:19 AM, tysontom said:

My AR 3's second pair are surely built with plywood , unknown finish , maybe unfinished pine or birch. The rear side of my first pair , oiled walnut, is surely plywood . It seems plywood-made AR 3 are slightly lighter than my AR 3a, built with MDF panels. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Archived