AR3a Unfinished Pine Plywood Cabinets

Manhattanman

I recently completed a restoration of these unfinished pine AR-3's. Fortunately nobody tried to "finish" or fix them prior to my acquisition. They were purchased near Kinderhook, NY a couple of years ago.

Roy

AR-3 resto.JPG

Wow, both pairs of those speakers - - the 4x's and the 3's - - look terrific and practically brand new. Thanks for sharing.

Not mine, but here's another fine looking pair of pine 3's.

AR-3 blonde 1.jpg

Thanks DavidDru ,lakecat, RoyC and ra.ra,,!

Sometime I believe in the good fortune, have been looking for the AR4/4x unfinished pine for awhile, yesterday saw an old ADS I called and It is still available, the seller accepted my offer and agreed to ship it... Still can get the minty 4x unfinished pine one that the ADS posted over a month ago , that is really my luck ,,,

Yes Roy, that is a very nice AR3s pair with the rare unfinished pine cabinets.. What is the finished coats you are planning to apply for the cabinets or leaving its original untouched condition..? And if you do I will follow all of your stepped  for my coating 4x cabinets.

20 hours ago, Liangshan Marsh said:

Yes Roy, that is a very nice AR3s pair with the rare unfinished pine cabinets.. What is the finished coats you are planning to apply for the cabinets or leaving its original untouched condition..? And if you do I will follow all of your stepped  for my coating 4x cabinets.

Liangshan, I prefer to leave the unfinished pine cabinets as is.

Roy

On 5/12/2016 at 11:54 AM, RoyC said:

I recently completed a restoration of these unfinished pine AR-3's. Fortunately nobody tried to "finish" or fix them prior to my acquisition. They were purchased near Kinderhook, NY a couple of years ago.

Roy

AR-3 resto.JPG

Roy....those really nice. Amazing how that pine can survive the years in that condition.

Well, the pine is soft, so some dings and scratches can be seen up close. A light sanding freshened them up a bit.

The way I see it, as more of these are "finished" or lost to time, the unfinished specimens will become even more unique and rare... so I like to try to keep them as original as possible. I even hit my very small stash of near-mint original pots for this pair. (I'm saving the best of the rest for recently acquired teak 3's.)

Roy

Just received the 4x unfinished pine speaker today.The AR-4 wt 16 pounds each, AR-4x wt 18.5 pounds, although the unfinished pine is little lighter then other finished but with the properly packing, the two speakers box will be weight over 40 pounds and up,,,  so When I saw the tracking item weight only 33.30 pounds, I know right away it is a poor packing and I pray the item being arrived safely... but that is... when I opened it there is a light damaged in the top back corner of one speaker..

Yes for all non properly or poor packing, that will be damaged for sure by UPS.. so far I had received the fourth times damaged from this shipper, one of them was the rarely early mahogany single AR3 C-41xx that listed in the Auction awhile ago... luckily I got full refund from the seller ( UPS collected the speaker and dealing with the seller for the damaged... that  these damaged being crushed four corners cabinets and pops out the tweeter..)

13254200_1754175871528582_3835416513576707692_n.jpg13226954_1754175798195256_3790041874601078028_n.jpg13178927_1754175761528593_7522626776625462482_n.jpg3.jpg2.jpg4.jpg6.jpg

On 5/16/2016 at 5:02 PM, Liangshan Marsh said:

Just received the 4x unfinished pine speaker today.The AR-4 wt 16 pounds each, AR-4x wt 18.5 pounds, although the unfinished pine is little lighter then other finished but with the properly packing, the two speakers box will be weight over 40 pounds and up,,,  so When I saw the tracking item weight only 33.30 pounds, I know right away it is a poor packing and I pray the item being arrived safely... but that is... when I opened it there is a light damaged in the top back corner of one speaker..

Yes for all non properly or poor packing, that will be damaged for sure by UPS.. so far I had received the fourth times damaged from this shipper, one of them was the rarely early mahogany single AR3 C-41xx that listed in the Auction awhile ago... luckily I got full refund from the seller ( UPS collected the speaker and dealing with the seller for the damaged... that  these damaged being crushed four corners cabinets and pops out the tweeter..)

13254200_1754175871528582_3835416513576707692_n.jpg13226954_1754175798195256_3790041874601078028_n.jpg13178927_1754175761528593_7522626776625462482_n.jpg3.jpg2.jpg4.jpg6.jpg

I am sorry to see that damage as it turns my stomach. It really isn't that difficult to pack these beauties correctly. And UPS is terrible....and why I use FedEx. Only one slight damage in four years and they paid immediately.

2 hours ago, lakecat said:

I am sorry to see that damage as it turns my stomach. It really isn't that difficult to pack these beauties correctly. And UPS is terrible....and why I use FedEx. Only one slight damage in four years and they paid immediately.

Yup lakecat, the corrected packing of these beauties AR3,3a are needing to put more time, stuffs for it and listening the recommendation packing from the buyer...

The good packing, correctly, properly packing for the AR3s speaker weight minimum around 65 pounds and up... All of my case the damaged  packed box weight less then 63 pounds. After gaining the study from the 1st shipped damaged, couple times after that when I saw my order tracking AR3s packed box weight around 60-63 pounds, I knew something bad could happened and when I received the item, It happened exactly the item was damaged as what I suspected..although before each shipped I had messaged to the seller for the way it was well packed and preferring shipping by FedEx but sadly the seller ignored it.

• 3 weeks later...

A  rare pair AR3s unfinished pine cabinets just pops out in the auction site with very cleaned drivers, starting price $999.00. Hoping someone in this Forums goes for it.. good luck!!

New listing fleabayAR3s unfinished pine cabinets starting bid: $999.00, (0 bids)

Edited: the Auction ended sold for $1425

-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jp.jpgs-l100.jpgs-l160.jpg

Archived