Stopped for toilet paper, found a pair of AR3's!

GD70

9 hours ago, fedeleluigi said:

That's why, as I had never listened to new AR3s, I started a thread asking people who could listen to them when the were new how much was the difference between AR3 and AR3a midrange frequencies as the AR3s I listened to had the midrange frequencies "too weak" in comparision with the speakers (AR and not AR) I'm used to listen to. You are one of the few who could simultaneously compare the restored midranges to the original ones using two pairs of AR3.

Thank you for sharing your listening impressions.

Luigi

You're welcome Luigi!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/29/2016 at 7:49 PM, ra.ra said:

Hey Glenn, those turned out just gorgeous and the new grilles look great. You (and Roy) did spectacular work with that restoration project. Your results look just like this random pic I keep on file. Congrats.

AR 3 primo.jpg

There is really no prettier loudspeaker than the lacquered-mahogany AR-3.   Here are a couple of other pictures for reference:

Tyson_AR-3_001C.jpg

Tyson_AR-3_002C.jpg

The lacquer finish is not glossy so much as it is semi-glossy, smooth with no grain showing.  It is akin to the Steinway piano finishes, done the same way.

Tyson_AR-3_003C.jpg

The speaker (one of two) looked shiny, but it was due to the flash used.

--Tom Tyson

Thx for the additional pics of the mahogany AR-3, Tom. It makes me curious why this gorgeous veneer finish seems relatively rare, given that the mahogany option was between $6 to $10 less in price (per cabinet) compared with the oiled walnut, per the 1971 catalog.

19 hours ago, tysontom said:

There is really no prettier loudspeaker than the lacquered-mahogany AR-3.   Here are a couple of other pictures for reference:

Tyson_AR-3_001C.jpg

Tyson_AR-3_002C.jpg

The lacquer finish is not glossy so much as it is semi-glossy, smooth with no grain showing.  It is akin to the Steinway piano finishes, done the same way.

Tyson_AR-3_003C.jpg

The speaker (one of two) looked shiny, but it was due to the flash used.

--Tom Tyson

Thank you Tom! I'm honored!

ra.ra. posted the same first pic as you! The lacquered Mahogony is stunning. I restored a couple cabinets for a power amp, and pre amp set last summer. They were beat up when I bought the two pieces, and incurred more damage while being shipped. The original finish had 21 coats of gloss lacquer and they were stunning. My goal was to mimic the original finish as closely as possible. I did the cab repairs, and reveneered them with Ebony. Mixed some stain for color, then proceeded to apply the lacquer until built up, block sanded it, then another 6 to 8 spray coats. They came out quite well! Lacquer is very easy and forgiving to work with, but it stinks! I did all the lacquering out in the garage. You can see it a bit next to the 3 in the closeup pic.

Glenn

• 1 month later...

We had the AK Frankenfest gathering last weekend and when I got home, I moved the 3's to the family room, moving the KLH Fives to the living room.

The 3's sound spectacular in this room, better than the Fives did. Just wow! They are about 14-15 feet apart, incredible sound stage, especially live performances! I'm driving them with my JVC A-X9 integrated.

IMG_2650_zpsm4ujdxed.jpg

IMG_2651_zpsbm3j3pjm.jpg

On 3/2/2017 at 8:45 PM, DavidR said:

$5 at a yard sale! Guess I need to go to more yard sales and get TP.

Thanks for the tilt info. I was guessing 10 deg. They look custom.

Oh, you don't want to run out of TP!

I doubt they are custom, but they do the job. Yard sale season is just around the corner, and don't forget the thrifts.

On 1/10/2017 at 0:03 PM, ra.ra said:

Thx for the additional pics of the mahogany AR-3, Tom. It makes me curious why this gorgeous veneer finish seems relatively rare, given that the mahogany option was between $6 to $10 less in price (per cabinet) compared with the oiled walnut, per the 1971 catalog.

I overlooked this post regarding the less-expensive option for mahogany vs. walnut for cabinet finishes.  

In the years prior to the growing popularity of oiled-walnut finishes used in the furniture industry, the typical wood finish for furniture cabinets was mahogany.  For many years prior to the high-fidelity industry, case-goods furniture manufactures had perfected lacquer and varnish finishes for mahogany, walnut, cherry and birch, etc, and it was natural for speaker manufacturers to follow furniture trends and to get cabinets from their vendors in lacquered mahogany or lacquered walnut (or birch, cherry or korina, too).  Production costs were lower, too, due to the popularity of mahogany during that time.  When oiled-walnut came along, the costs did go up somewhat because applying oil finishes is somewhat more labor-intensive—often done by hand—for the cabinet manufacturers, and this cost was passed on to the speaker companies.  In addition, walnut was more more expensive than mahogany.  Therefore, the oil finishes had a slightly higher mark-up in the price list than lacquered finishes. 

—Tom Tyson

• 2 weeks later...
On March 5, 2017 at 0:28 PM, tysontom said:

I overlooked this post regarding the less-expensive option for mahogany vs. walnut for cabinet finishes.  

In the years prior to the growing popularity of oiled-walnut finishes used in the furniture industry, the typical wood finish for furniture cabinets was mahogany.  For many years prior to the high-fidelity industry, case-goods furniture manufactures had perfected lacquer and varnish finishes for mahogany, walnut, cherry and birch, etc, and it was natural for speaker manufacturers to follow furniture trends and to get cabinets from their vendors in lacquered mahogany or lacquered walnut (or birch, cherry or korina, too).  Production costs were lower, too, due to the popularity of mahogany during that time.  When oiled-walnut came along, the costs did go up somewhat because applying oil finishes is somewhat more labor-intensive—often done by hand—for the cabinet manufacturers, and this cost was passed on to the speaker companies.  In addition, walnut was more more expensive than mahogany.  Therefore, the oil finishes had a slightly higher mark-up in the price list than lacquered finishes. 

—Tom Tyson

Interesting that Mahogany was more popular and cheaper, yet you see more Walnut veneer ARs.

I decided to put the 3's on the floor (very carefully) instead of keeping them on the stands. They sound better on the floor. I know, they should be set so the tweeters are at ear level when seated, but I felt the bass was lacking believe it or not. On the floor, it's better, deeper, and I feel it more. I did this because I had the KLH Fives on the floor as well, and the bass was outstanding without being boomy at all. With the 3's on the stands, it was so much less, I thought how could this be? Now I'm happy, though I may make some low stands, matching Walnut, slightly angled so the back bottom edge is 2-3 inches raised, the front edge raised a inch or so higher.

• 1 year later...

A short update. These continue to sound phenominal. Roys mids have held up well, sounding just as they did when first reinstalled. I brought them to the last Frankenfest, and finally got to meet Roy in person, and he got to hear these 3's. 

On 7/20/2018 at 8:48 PM, GD70 said:

A short update. These continue to sound pheniminal. Roys mids have held up well, sounding just as they did when first reinstalled. I brought them to the last Frankenfest, and finally got to meet Roy in person, and he got to hear these 3's. 

Very cool that you got to meet Roy. His unselfishness has enabled many people to enjoy and love the AR sound. I am working on another set of 3's....and only because this man had the patience to teach me much about the AR's. 

I look forward to meeting him one day...and buying him at least one beer..;)

On July 24, 2018 at 12:47 AM, ra.ra said:

I'll vouch for the excellent results of Roy and Glenn's work on these speakers - - - they sound terrific and they look gorgeous. Thanks for dragging your gear to the F-fest!

Thanks ra ra! It was great to see you again and finally meet Roy. Glad you both got to hear the 3's.

I'm going to try to convince Roy, to come to the Peekskill Blue Mountain AK gathering on September 15th.

Glenn

On July 25, 2018 at 8:28 AM, lakecat said:

Very cool that you got to meet Roy. His unselfishness has enabled many people to enjoy and love the AR sound. I am working on another set of 3's....and only because this man had the patience to teach me much about the AR's. 

I had been trying to get Roy to attend a Frankenfest for several years,. It the timing didn't work out for Roy.

I couldn't agree with you more regarding Roys generosity.

Glenn

1 hour ago, GD70 said:

Thanks ra ra! It was great to see you again and finally meet Roy. Glad you both got to hear the 3's.

I'm going to try to convince Roy, to come to the Peekskill Blue Mountain AK gathering on September 15th.

Glenn

I'd like to meet this Roy guy and give him a piece of my mind. He's been unable to repair a number of AR-3 mids recently sent to him! There are some really nasty mids out there.

Hey Glenn, I am planning to attend the September gathering. I really enjoyed meeting you, Robert, and Pete (finally!)...and that AR-3 pair of yours is something special. Your attention to detail is extraordinary.

Roy

On 7/25/2018 at 8:28 AM, lakecat said:

Thanks, Jeff...but based on our past dealings in other matters, I have nothing on you in the "unselfish" department. I will, however, take you up on that beer. :)

Roy

9 hours ago, RoyC said:

Thanks, Jeff...but based on our past dealings in other matters, I have nothing on you in the "unselfish" department. I will, however, take you up on that beer. :)

Roy

I have a strange feeling that one beer wouldn't suffice with us!....:)

And yes...I am having the worst luck with those damn mids...sigh.

20 hours ago, RoyC said:

I'd like to meet this Roy guy and give him a piece of my mind. He's been unable to repair a number of AR-3 mids recently sent to him! There are some really nasty mids out there.

Hey Glenn, I am planning to attend the September gathering. I really enjoyed meeting you, Robert, and Pete (finally!)...and that AR-3 pair of yours is something special. Your attention to detail is extraordinary.

Roy

Hi Roy!

Excellent news you'll be attending. 

And again, thanks for your help on the 3's. Reading all the bad news of late regarding the mids, I'm feeling pretty lucky you were able to get the one working that I attempted to repair.

Glenn

• 1 year later...

Well, another year has passed, and the 3's are sounding fabulous! For those with low output mids, don't hesitate to have Roy rebuild them.

They continue to impress, and at good volume!

I had a neighbor over last Sunday and demoed a few systems. He was amazed by the 3's, and shocked they are circa 1965! He thought they were "modern" speakers because of how new they look. I told him they have had extensive restoration work, and not all will sound this good.