Stopped for toilet paper, found a pair of AR3's!

GD70

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More progress. Finished a few more corners, and the first cab has 3 applications of Watcos. The cab was so dry, it sucked in the oil and practically dried instantly! I added 3 more applications and letting it sit for 24 hours to do the first sanding with 600 grit.

The veneer patch ready to be glued. The original veneer is pretty thick, and I need to laminate two pieces together for the correct thickness.

IMG_2162_zps2tl09nyd.jpg

I like to spread the glue with a small screw driver blade.

IMG_2163_zpsufkdna76.jpg

IMG_2164_zpsh44ywaq9.jpg

Two pieces laminated using super glue. Then trimmed to fit.

IMG_2165_zpslxm0fqgw.jpg

Both pieces for this corner.

IMG_2168_zps94ob7mdm.jpg

IMG_2166_zpso7nuqbs2.jpg

Cab oiling, the best part! Before and after.

IMG_2169_zpsbkmmdbxk.jpg

IMG_2170_zps6lykbhcc.jpg

IMG_2173_zps4sja505y.jpg

IMG_2174_zpst1futh0f.jpg

IMG_2175_zpsggusteks.jpg

The 3 pins from Roy.

IMG_2160_zpszgphqdcd.jpg

6 hours ago, ra.ra said:

What is the preferred method for trimming the overhang on the veneer patch? Utility knife? Razor sharp chisel? Sanding block? Sledge hammer? :lol:

And, is that ordinary yellow wood glue used to secure the patch? Thanks.

Hi Robert!

I only use an Xacto knife with #11 blades. After the glue dries, I shave the overhang down so it's almost flush with the back surface, then sand it until it's smooth with the back, and on the top surfaces.

I use Tite bond wood glue. If there's gaps under the patched veneer and where the corner was crushed in, I fill that cavity with epoxy. This is how I do all of my repairs like this. The only time I use super glue is when laminating two pieces together for a thicker piece.

Glenn

6 hours ago, ar_pro said:

Excellent photos - thanks for showing your process, Glenn.

This is the kind of detail that could encourage & assist others who are interested in restoring those speakers that are not in the best cosmetic condition!

6 hours ago, ar_pro said:

Excellent photos - thanks for showing your process, Glenn.

This is the kind of detail that could encourage & assist others who are interested in restoring those speakers that are not in the best cosmetic condition!

Thanks! Photos often show and explaine way better than trying to describe it in writing.

Its not that difficult, just takes time to do it right.

Glenn

Just now, GD70 said:

Hi Robert!

I only use an Xacto knife with #11 blades. After the glue dries, I shave the overhang down so it's almost flush with the back surface, then sand it until it's smooth with the back, and on the top surfaces.

I use Tite bond wood glue. If there's gaps under the patched veneer and where the corner was crushed in, I fill that cavity with epoxy. This is how I do all of my repairs like this. The only time I use super glue is when laminating two pieces together for a thicker piece.

Glenn

Glenn,

Your great patience and skill has brought another classic pair of loudspeakers back to near new condition. Your documentation of the process is invaluable for anyone wishing to repair and re-veneer cabinets. I know what you mean about that first coat of oil being sucked in. Some of these cabinets haven't had oil applied in decades!

On November 23, 2016 at 7:59 PM, JeffS said:

Glenn,

Your great patience and skill has brought another classic pair of loudspeakers back to near new condition. Your documentation of the process is invaluable for anyone wishing to repair and re-veneer cabinets. I know what you mean about that first coat of oil being sucked in. Some of these cabinets haven't had oil applied in decades!

Thanks Jeff!

The first 3 oil applications were sucked right up! I've done 5 on this cab and it's still absorbing it. 

I've done two applications on the 2nd cab, same as the first, absorbing the oil like a thirsty runner!

I can see this will take some time and many applications to start to get a nice smooth surfaces.

Happy Thanksgivng!

The cabs are done! 9 applications of Watco's oil!

Sitting out in the sun to air them for several hours.

Also plotted out the grill frames. I have a friend who is a master craftsman, does historic restoration and has a great shop in his garage, so I may ask him to cut them for me. I'm leaning towards getting the Saran material for an original look but we'll see.

If the cabs are completely dry this evening, I'll temporarily mount the drivers for final testing, and if all is good, put everything back in permanently. I'm really looking forward to hearing these with Roy's restored mids!

Here's a few more pics.

IMG_2215_zps6pguu16j.jpg

IMG_2216_zpsx7iwutkq.jpg

IMG_2217_zpsqnknpmno.jpg

IMG_2218_zps1cw0wwd8.jpg

Been meaning to ask you, with doing so many applications - 9 on these - of the Watco, how much time you waiting between applications etc?  Good thing with the Watco is the fact you dont have to wait an entire 24 hours between applications like you do on other oils.

2 hours ago, DavidDru said:

Been meaning to ask you, with doing so many applications - 9 on these - of the Watco, how much time you waiting between applications etc?  Good thing with the Watco is the fact you dont have to wait an entire 24 hours between applications like you do on other oils.

Hi David,

Early on, every 3-4 hours for the first 4-5 applications. Once it stayed tacky for 6 hours or more, then I let them sit for 24 hours before the next coat and sanding with 600 grit.

By the 9th application, it takes a full 24 hours at least to dry. By now, the wood is not absorbing anymore oil, and it's just a build up now. After fully dry, I hand rub them with a paper towel, then a cut up t-shirt.

Glenn

I'm a happy camper! Roy was able to save the mids! Shipped them back to me today so hope to have these singing maybe next week after the cabs are refinished.

Also cleaned the pots and polished the disks and they are working fine.

Success! Initial testing, these sound great! Now to solder the mids leads, glue the caps in place to the rear baffle, put the stuffing back in and onto the grills!

Roy, the mids sound fantastic! Loud and clear as a bell!

Glenn

Damn! These are sounding fantastic! I've been listening primarily to my ADS 910's which are amazing!

The 3's are right back in the game, and it makes me realize my first pair mids will need Roy's attention.

More that thrilled I found these and they are singing so well.

4 hours ago, samberger0357 said:

Wait until you stack them with the 3a's. The best is yet to come. 

It will be two pairs of 3's, and yeah, stacking has crossed my mind! The beauty of my multi speaker selector is its circuitry will not allow the amp to see anything below 5ohms regardless of how many speakers are playing simultaneously.

Also got the grill frames cut today so now I have to decide, Saran, or Linen. 

12 minutes ago, GD70 said:

It will be two pairs of 3's, and yeah, stacking has crossed my mind! The beauty of my multi speaker selector is its circuitry will not allow the amp to see anything below 5ohms regardless of how many speakers are playing simultaneously.

Also got the grill frames cut today so now I have to decide, Saran, or Linen. 

What kind of selector do  you use?

Glenn, thanks so much for sharing your restoration processes with the rest of us.  After seeing your work, it  motivates me to tackle some AR- 4x cabinets that I once thought too far gone.  By the way, I hestitated on that pair of AR-LST2's from Long Island, only to regret it later.  So glad they wound up in such competant hands - that was one first class restoration! 

Edited by Rich W

2 hours ago, samberger0357 said:

What kind of selector do  you use?

Monoprice is the brand.

From their site:

Spread your sounds around your home or business with this Monoprice 8-Channel Speaker Selector!

This speaker selector allows you to connect up to eight stereo speaker zones. Each zone can be individually toggled on or off with the front panel switch. Built-in impedance-matching circuitry ensures that the overall impedance level to the amplifier does not drop below 5 Ohms, no matter how many speaker zones are selected or how many speakers are in each zone.

The impedance-matching protection circuitry can be disabled using a front-panel button, but this should only be done if there is another protection circuit employed or the system is carefully designed to avoid amplifier damage. The unit can handle up to 100 watts per channel with the protection circuitry enabled and up to 200 watts per channel with the protection circuit disabled.

Glenn

1 hour ago, Rich W said:

Glenn, thanks so much for sharing your restoration processes with the rest of us.  After seeing your work, it  motivates me to tackle some AR- 4x cabinets that I once thought too far gone.  By the way, I hestitated on that pair of AR-LST2's from Long Island, only to regret it later.  So glad they wound up in such competant hands - that was one first class restoration! 

Hi Rich!

Thank you! It makes me very happy that I inspired you to tackle the 4x's. As you can see, it's not difficult, just take your time.

When I saw the CL listing for the LST's, I also hesitated, for an hour or two, wasn't that familiar with them. After doing some quick web investigation, I realized these were fairly rare, and worth buying and restoring. The seller had a buyer that didn't show, I said when and where can we meet, and the deal was sealed. He told me when we met, he had a ton of offeres for more that 3 times what the listing price was., but he was good to his word and we had had a deal.

That was a really fun project, and when it was completed, in a way I was sad. I had worked on those for a good amount of time, but was also very happy with the finished project.

Glenn

A couple pics, set up for listening for now.

Unfortunately, the wire screens for the mids were missing when I found these. If anyone had a pair of blown mids that are just papre weights, that have the screens, please let me know.

Glenn

IMG_2229_zpskjujeyia.jpg
IMG_2230_zpsnlfvbvjp.jpg
IMG_2231_zpspafpqmam.jpg