Stopped for toilet paper, found a pair of AR3's!

GD70

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, xmas111 said:

Hey Glen,

As usual an excellent job on the restoration!

You're going to enjoy for a while to come.....they grow on you.  Believe me I know, my stacked 3a's have grown on me.

John

Thank you John!

Love working on these old speakers, keeps me sane!

Stacked will be interesting, can't wait!

Glenn

17 hours ago, samberger0357 said:

Would love to see a picture of your stacked 3a's. Are they vertical or horizontal? What do you drive them with?

Here's a picture of the stacked 3a's.

Each set is driven with a Yaqin MC-100B amp.  They sound wonderful.

post-102118-0-67191400-1447256489.jpg

Don't want to steal Glen's thread so I'll be quick.

I run them in Ultra Linear mode and they do have 4 ohm taps. Also replaced the KT88's with KT120's. Been running great for 4+ years!

Here's a newer picture.

DSC04887.JPG

So I went with the Saran! ra.ra. posted a link to a supplier in Canada in my AK thread. Thanks Robert!

I decided to go with the original look with this pair, and I can always make another set of frames and wrap them with linen to switch them up once in a while.

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished the grills this morning. They came out looking terrific I think! The Saran is a little difficult to work with as it's somewhat stiff. Once I had it stapled down and trimmed. I used a match to quickly melt the edges at the corners to keep it from fraying. Here's a few pics of the finished AR3's!
IMG_2330_zpszmtgqm2g.jpg
IMG_2332_zpso6voy118.jpg
IMG_2333_zpsygqfq3yt.jpg
IMG_2334_zpsfswxt8oj.jpg

2 hours ago, ra.ra said:

Hey Glenn, those turned out just gorgeous and the new grilles look great. You (and Roy) did spectacular work with that restoration project. Your results look just like this random pic I keep on file. Congrats.

AR 3 primo.jpg

Looks just like mine! ;-) Thanks Robert! I'm very happy with the end results, and they sound fabulous! Thanks to Roy working his magic on the mids. 

Glenn

On December 29, 2016 at 3:42 PM, ar_pro said:

They look like new, Glenn, and that's a good tip to prevent fraying.

How do you have your grill panels attached to the cabinet?

Thanks Reel Man!

They just stay in place on their own. I measured and cut the frames, taking into account the thickness of the Saran, and have a very snug fit.

Happy New Year!

Glenn

22 hours ago, GD70 said:

Happy New Year!

Glenn

Happy New Year to everyone!

Glenn, as usual an excellent work!

As I wrote in a previous thread (http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/8815-difference-in-sound-between-ar3-and-ar3a/), about one year ago I listened to a pair of AR3s for the first time in my life and I noticed a backward  midrange band in their sound. What about the AR3 sound in the midrange band before and after RoyC's midrange restoration? In other words, how much is the loss of output pressure and details with the old AR3 midranges?
Luigi

On January 2, 2017 at 6:32 AM, fedeleluigi said:

Happy New Year to everyone!

Glenn, as usual an excellent work!

As I wrote in a previous thread (http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/8815-difference-in-sound-between-ar3-and-ar3a/), about one year ago I listened to a pair of AR3s for the first time in my life and I noticed a backward  midrange band in their sound. What about the AR3 sound in the midrange band before and after RoyC's midrange restoration? In other words, how much is the loss of output pressure and details with the old AR3 midranges?
Luigi

Hi Luigi,

Thank you! An enjoyable project.

The mids in this pair had almost no output. Roy said there was no guarantee how well they would sound, and luckily, they are sounding terrific. I have not had a chance to compare them to my other pair yet, which sound very good, but suspect they will need Roys touch once I compare both pairs.

Glenn

9 hours ago, GD70 said:

Hi Luigi,

Thank you! An enjoyable project.

The mids in this pair had almost no output. Roy sId there was no guarantee how well they would sound, and luckily, they are sounding terrific. I have not had a chance to compare them to my other pair yet, which sound very good, but suspect they will need Roys touch once I compare both pairs.

Glenn

Thank you Glenn,

Roy is very expert in repairing AR drivers so when you have a chance to compare both pairs of your AR3s, please let us know the differences. As I told, I listened to a pair of AR3 with a backward midrange band so I'm very interested in knowing how AR3 midrange frequencies really sound when the drivers are ok.

Have a nice day

Luigi

On January 3, 2017 at 4:51 AM, fedeleluigi said:

Thank you Glenn,

Roy is very expert in repairing AR drivers so when you have a chance to compare both pairs of your AR3s, please let us know the differences. As I told, I listened to a pair of AR3 with a backward midrange band so I'm very interested in knowing how AR3 midrange frequencies really sound when the drivers are ok.

Have a nice day

Luigi

I'm not sure what you mean by a "backwards band".

I compared the restored vs the original and the improvement is night and day! The originals sound terrible!

They will be pulled and sent to Roy.

Glenn

1 hour ago, GD70 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by a "backwards band".

I compared the restored vs the original and the improvement is night and day? The originals sound terrible!

They will be pulled and sent to Roy.

Glenn

Sorry Glenn but unfortunately English is not my native language.

By a "backwards midrange band" I'd like to say that the sound pressure in the midrange frequencies is less than the sound pressure in the treble and bass frequencies. So, for example, when listening to human voices they seem smaller than usual. In other words the midrange level is lower than treble's and bass's.  Maybe I could use the expression of a "recessed midrange" or "recessed midrange frequencies" but  I don't know if it is correct and how to exactly express this idea in English: "less sound pressure in the midrange frequencies compared to treble and bass frequency sound pressure".

Could you please tell me more about the sound differences between the AR3s with the restored and original midranges?

Thank you

Luigi

35 minutes ago, fedeleluigi said:

Sorry Glenn but unfortunately English is not my native language.

By a "backwards midrange band" I'd like to say that the sound pressure in the midrange frequencies is less than the sound pressure in the treble and bass frequencies. So, for example, when listening to human voices they seem smaller than usual. In other words the midrange level is lower than treble's and bass's.  Maybe I could use the expression of a "recessed midrange" or "recessed midrange frequencies" but  I don't know if it is correct and how to exactly express this idea in English.

Could you please tell me more about the sound differences between the restored and original midranges?

Thank you

Luigi

Hi Liudi!

Your English is very good, no worries.

The difference is the originals are very recessed sounding, like you have some cotton in your ears compared to the restored mids. I felt they were a little recessed and now, in comparison, very recessed sounding. I didn't realize how much so until I finished the current pair. The restored mids are crisp, very detailed, much higher output. Now that I've done this, I would recommend to anyone having their mids restored. Roy states, that a percentage are not repairable, so to keep this in mind when making the decision to proceed with the work.

Glenn,

Thank you very much!

As I said, for the first time in my life,  I could listen to a pair of AR3 about a year ago. It seemed to me that they sounded with a recessed midrange. So you have confimed my listening impressions and my suspects of a very probable problem with the midranges of the AR3s I listened to.

Luigi

On 1/7/2017 at 2:43 PM, fedeleluigi said:

Glenn,

Thank you very much!

As I said, for the first time in my life,  I could listen to a pair of AR3 about a year ago. It seemed to me that they sounded with a recessed midrange. So you have confimed my listening impressions and my suspects of a very probable problem with the midranges of the AR3s I listened to.

Luigi

Roy told me this is the case with just about all AR3's. Very few, if any, are producing output like when they were new.

22 hours ago, GD70 said:

Roy told me this is the case with just about all AR3's. Very few, if any, are producing output like when they were new.

That's why, as I had never listened to new AR3s, I started a thread asking people who could listen to them when the were new how much was the difference between AR3 and AR3a midrange frequencies as the AR3s I listened to had the midrange frequencies "too weak" in comparision with the speakers (AR and not AR) I'm used to listen to. You are one of the few who could simultaneously compare the restored midranges to the original ones using two pairs of AR3.

Thank you for sharing your listening impressions.

Luigi