AR Grill Badge Numbers

Spensar

Spensar,

Live & learn. No--you won't be banned but if you stick around you will definitely be kicking YOURSELF at some point ;)

Fellow CSP "veterans",

Before we pass judgment, let's give Spensar some credit. He could have bought them just to "flip" and make a fst buck but instead he passed and let someone (we can only hope) who really appreciates them have them to enjoy.

larrybody,

I don't have HK's picture on the wall but I DO have an illuminated, flashing KLH sign!

-Kent

9 hours ago, Spensar said:

I did consider just saying I bought them, as I thought passing on them could get me a immediate and automatic life ban from the forum B)   

Nah, just a little slap on the woofer. :lol:

No one wants to end this thread on a sour note. My participation was triggered by some simple discussion about the esoterica of little metal badges, but I will confess that I might tend to get a little overenthusiastic about the more modest offerings from AR's "classic" series - - - i.e., the small 8" two-ways. My previous comments were meant to be yet another cheerleading effort on behalf of the smaller speakers, but I was also challenging the OP's seemingly contradictory statement that he is seeking "something a bit higher up the ....food chain" (which to me often translates to 'larger') while stating the spatial limitations of his living environment.    

Spensar, stick around, this tent is big enough for a wide variety of tastes, practices, and opinions (you did miss a special bargain, though), but do keep us posted on the eventual acquisition of your 'keepers' once you procure them. And to larrybody, I shook hands with Bobby Kennedy before I ever knew of Acoustic Research and I'm good with that, but there is no snark in this thread - - - all comments have been supportive and cooperative to the OP's questions, and it has been a healthy exchange. You stick around, too - - your posts have been great.

But, when the time comes that I feel the need to post a pic of Henry Kloss on my wall, there is no doubt that I will prominently display this visage of HK. Cantankerous genius perhaps? Maybe, but I'm good with that, too.

Henry Kloss.jpg

Well, I learned something about badges in this thread. Also, four 4x's did pass through town here a while back when I was shy on cash flow but they sold for considerably more and one set was the early version (less than 50K serial #).

Nice photo of Kloss ;)

Roger

12 minutes ago, owlsplace said:

Nice photo of Kloss ;)

btw.... It's been mentioned before but for newbies: KLH at one time considered a marketing slogan "It's not perfect, but it's Kloss." Henry's name was pronounced like "close" (it did not rhyme with Koss, a headphone manufacturer)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Over the years I have had various iterations of the model 4.

The first was in the early 70's and the last was in the late 90's.

I mostly ended up giving them as gifts when I was outfitting friends with systems.

Almost all of the gear I have ever acquired has been of garage / estate / rummage / thrift provenance.

I now regret having disgorged every pair of 4's as I'd really like to put a pair above the kitchen cabinets for tunes to cook by.

All the rest are too big to fit between the top of the cabinet and the ceiling.....

But I still keep looking!

Regarding the badges, I'm looking for a pair for my 2a's, everything else is properly adorned.

Lou

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, lARrybody said:

There are reproductions out there. Check with Vintage AR, they may have some.

I'd look for originals. The repros I've seen are either aluminum with black lettering or brass with cut-outs over red plastic. Yuk.

I tried in vain to find an engraver who could make good quality AR-3a reproductions. I came close, but apparently asked him too many times to make minor changes for authenticity and the deal fell through. Those thick, engraved solid brass plates with deep engraving filled with maroon paint are apparently difficult-to-impossible to reproduce.

2 hours ago, JKent said:

I'd look for originals. The repros I've seen are either aluminum with black lettering or brass with cut-outs over red plastic. Yuk.

I tried in vain to find an engraver who could make good quality AR-3a reproductions. I came close, but apparently asked him too many times to make minor changes for authenticity and the deal fell through. Those thick, engraved solid brass plates with deep engraving filled with maroon paint are apparently difficult-to-impossible to reproduce.

I believe I saw a few original AR-5 badges last time I was in Larry/"Vintage_AR's" shop. His Ebay listing is for the plastic type (despite the ambiguous description). The buyer should be prepared to pay a hefty premium if he has any original badges to sell. Larry is unavailable until March.

Ebay seller "burtnbec" is selling the print-on-aluminum type for a relatively reasonable price compared to the above listing. It is much the same as the non-engraved badge of the very late production AR-2ax.

Roy