3 badge for AR3 grill

canman

Any idea where to find a set of the 3 badges for the AR3?  I have checked the well known vendor an that well known auction site...no luck. I have contacted a few fab shops about making my own or a small run and the cost is prohibitive.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Unless 'vintage AR' has discontinued his badge offerings, I'd double check with him. He commissioned a fellow to make 'repros' and they looked fine.

Or if you can buy a larger run of badges and sell extras here at a fair price.

In 2007 I purchased repro AR-3a badges, AR-LST badges, LST auto-transformer plates, AR-3a fiber-grills dressed with cloth and a double set of LST grill frames with cloth.

One might say: "I don't need no stinking badges" any longer.

If I weren't able to purchase good condition used badges. I would certainly attempt refinishing originals by buffing with and using a dremel tool.

If I'm not mistaken there was a post here about badge refinishing and painting with the closest 'AR-red' matching paint some time back.

I imagine that I would start out by trying 'Testors' gloss paints in those little bottles I used to paint my 'AMT' model cars with in the early sixties. They're low cost enough so one may experiment mixing colors to acquire just the right color match. It would be a fun little project if you are so inclined.

FM

I "had" some made and in fact Vintage AR ended up selling some of mine. I'm all out but may look into getting more made. I still have some "a"s for the AR-2a.

-Kent

12 minutes ago, samberger0357 said:

Please let me know if you do have more made. It's ironic that I just got my 3 back with an original replacement woofer, but the little number 3 went missing. Funny how the world turns sometimes. 

I have a couple of extra "3's" (Kent's reproductions) and could let one go. Send me a PM.

Roy

14 minutes ago, samberger0357 said:

Please let me know if you do have more made.

OK. I'll check with my engraver and post them in this thread if I get more:

You can see a photo of the repro in the thread now but I'm sold out. I'll have to buy 100 pieces if I can get them, so I want to be sure there is interest.

They come with raw edges and unpolished. I hand polished the ones I sold and attached pins to the backs. Really labor-intensive. Vintage-AR sold them "raw" and maybe that's how I'll offer them.

-Kent

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2016 at 11:10 PM, samberger0357 said:

Please let me know if you do have more made. It's ironic that I just got my 3 back with an original replacement woofer, but the little number 3 went missing. Funny how the world turns sometimes. 

Good news I hope.

I just ordered 100 of the "3"s. Will probably take a couple of weeks. 

I'll offer them to CSP members for a very low price (like 5 bux each) IF you are willing to polish them and solder your own pin to the back. If I have to do the soldering and polishing it'll cost ya ;)

Please watch the For Sale section or feel free to PM me.

-Kent

You can see them side-by-side in this post

They are the same size (height and width) butTom Tyson found fault with them: As you can see the repros a a bit "thicker". IMHO it's not noticeable on the speaker but side by side you can see that the original is a bit more delicate.

-Kent

On 9/19/2016 at 0:17 PM, JKent said:

They are the same size (height and width) butTom Tyson found fault with them: As you can see the repros a a bit "thicker". IMHO it's not noticeable on the speaker but side by side you can see that the original is a bit more delicate.

-Kent

That is good, I can sand down the thicker, just about the curve...It may need trimming little bit and sanding for more looking like the original ones... I am definitely will be ordered 4 pieces.. Thanks Kent

9-19-2016 12-48-52 PM.jpg

Good morning:

I just saw your recent post about the 3's you should be getting in a few weeks.

If possible and not to late, I would like 2 of them and let me know when they are available and how much and how to pay you.

We are leaving on vacation to Captiva Island Florida on Saturday 9/24/2016 and will not get back until 10/1.

Good morning:

I just saw your recent post about the 3's you should be getting in a few weeks.

If possible and not to late, I would like 2 of them and let me know when they are available and how much and how to pay you.

We are leaving on vacation to Captiva Island Florida on Saturday 9/24/2016 and will not get back until 10/1.

Hi canman. I won't have them until after you return, and I have to order 100 pieces, so don't worry about being too late! Watch the For Sale section for an update or feel free to PM me.

Captiva is a great place! Enjoy!

-Kent

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Glenn....Kent is out of town until after Thanksgiving. I am waiting on the 3's also and he was having some issues with the manufacture. He left me an email saying he would be gone till then and had little opportunity to get online. Last month,  I also had him look in his attic for that grill material as I have a pair of 3's with no grills. He is saving me the last of what he had for two speakers until he gets the 3's done. Just letting you know so you don't think Kent is ignoring you...:)  Good luck.

9 hours ago, GD70 said:

Hi lakecat,

Thanks for the heads up.

I hope he has some extra Saran after he sends some to you. If not, I'll settle for the linen from 123stitch.

Cheers, Glenn

Kent has the place he got the grill material from. I had it but can't find it. Get it from him when he gets back.

Hey Lakecat,

Thanks! I actually had the info from my first set of 3's when I was restoring them. Was looking through my print outs from that project and found it. Forgot I had it! I'll post the info tonight.

BTW, I was able to get a pair of 3 pins.

Glenn

Hi all

The first batch of 3s did not look right so I had to order some more. I now have the corrected ones and they look good.

I just got back from a long road trip and "may" have time before Thanksgiving to polish some 3s, attach the pins and take photos. Will post in the "ForSale" section ASAP.

-Kent

Hi Kent,

Roy ended up having some extras and sent them to me, so I'm good.

I also contacted the fabric supplier for a price quote for the Saran. Now I need to find some 3a grill frames. I really don't want to use the plastic frames as they are so fragile now from age.

Glenn

Archived