What an idiot.....AR3a ruined....

lakecat

On 9/18/2019 at 3:23 PM, genek said:

The front baffle would be relatively easy to replace and the veneer doesn't look too bad. If this was close enough to pick up I'd probably offer $50 for it

Just wondering. How would you go about replacing the front baffle?  Is it just glued to the back of the inner cabinet spacer or would the front beveled trim have to come off? No I am not even considering  getting them, just trying to understand what would be involved.

What would you do with crossover plate and speaker wire terminal that has been destroyed also? Paying $50...then buying 3/4" fiberboard...then drilling holes with recessed flanges...then buying crossovers and caps...buying all drivers...wiring and stuffing...I see over $400 or more there easily. Then...refinishing cabinets...new grill cloth...and badges....to still have a hacked speaker?  I will pass...:)

My point of this seller being an idiot....is all he needed was a screwdriver!!!...lol...but he attacked with drills and circular saw....insane...

The crossover plate is a total remove and replace. The MDF backs and Norwood labels are a tell that this is a late model 3a that originally came with back-wired mids and tweeters.

This is a project for someone who already has a crossover and a full set of drivers in his/her spare parts box. And who lives close enough to not have to pay the shipping.

On 9/18/2019 at 3:23 PM, genek said:

The front baffle would be relatively easy to replace and the veneer doesn't look too bad. If this was close enough to pick up I'd probably offer $50 for it.

I agree with that.    $50 you could do something with them.   It's a good excuse to ask a fellow forum member to make a detailed drawing of that front panel.

Awww....

That's a shame.

I work in Skokie, about twenty minutes away from the listed seller's location.

I could do the work to replace the baffle board.

I have mids and HiVi tweets and even some Ohmite 16 ohm pots,  but no woofs. 

I'm actually sorely tempted to offer the seller $50 if he'd do local pickup.

I could just imagine the look on the Boss's face when I'd arrive with these saying "But think of the finished product!"

2 hours ago, Aadams said:

It would be far easier and less expensive to convert these to passive subwoofers than to restore them to 3a form.

I did exactly this with an AR-1 many, many years ago. The cabinet had been banged up, and the Altec driver was completely shot, but the woofer was in great condition. I think I paid about $20 for the AR-1, and about the same amount for the refinishing supplies that the AR service department put me onto. With a new AR-3a grill panel & cloth, it matched my stacked AR-3a speakers perfectly, and it was driven by the center channel of a Mac preamp into a low-pass crossover and separate amplifier. That was a fun project!