AR 58S

harry398

Owner lost 1 woofer.lol.  no badges.

Today i pulled the stock crossovers out.

Recapped a AR91 crossover, all dayton npe caps.    Glued in.

Pulled totally smooshed midrange out with industrial carton tape.

Notice wood grill,not plastic.

2 coats of watco oil. 

Simple speaker.   

Slapped in ar9 woofers.   Going for a test ride in 8 hours after glue dries.

20180721_085617.jpg

20180721_092322.jpg

20180721_110757.jpg

20180721_112737.jpg

20180721_140409.jpg

20180721_140442.jpg

20180721_142132.jpg

20180721_140618.jpg

20180721_095449.jpg

Nice work Harry

How does one lose a woofer?

Do you test the dayton caps ? I bought some small ones and had varying results. The 2.7uF were spot on, the 3.3 were like all 5% high, the 8uf were just a bit on the low side  but acceptable.

Where do you get your Watco oil?

6 minutes ago, Stimpy said:

The AR58S crossovers are identical to the 91s, minus the level switches.

Good to know. Thanks.

Ahhhh.....yes...

58 is a excellent speaker.   Deep lows, good bass output, clear mids(a touch strong at times), and a crazy great tweeter.   Simple crossover that does it all well fir a 3 way.    

Why didnt they produce more?   

Its not as smooth as the ar9, nor as detailed, but it approaches ar3a levels in greatness.   It doesnt have the smoothness of a 3a(mine at least), however the lows are almost the same with possibly more bass output.   The tweeter Blows away the 3a even with a hivi.   No comparison.

While analizing this speaker, i pulled over the ar78ls.    Smoother on mids, almost as low, less tweeter output and highness(crispness and high freq).   78 is super smooth and mellow.    Outdtanding specimen of a 12 inch AR.   Also great!    Room placement is key for me.   I found these sounded best on floor in corner.

All dayton NPE on 91 board, since it gives me switches.    Thanks to my brother for that!     I LIKE THE 91!

The question is  ....why did AR use that fiberglass ring in front of the mids back in the 60S and 70s?   Calm the mid??

The ar9 is far smoother, but thats a diff animal.

Enjoy...i worked hard on these, and they are great.

20180722_200000.jpg

20180722_195311.jpg

20180721_174648.jpg

8 hours ago, DavidR said:

Nice work Harry

How does one lose a woofer?

Do you test the dayton caps ? I bought some small ones and had varying results. The 2.7uF were spot on, the 3.3 were like all 5% high, the 8uf were just a bit on the low side  but acceptable.

Where do you get your Watco oil?

Nope, didnt test caps.

Every time i use those dayton npe......great results.    I cant say yhat for others, and mh worst experience was ERSE yellow turds.    Scratch my ear drum!

Watco, home depot.

David, your going to love those ar9s.    

1532305543625225665880.jpg

1532305571020532808765.jpg

1532305596688-1730994313.jpg

6 hours ago, Stimpy said:

The AR58S crossovers are identical to the 91s, minus the level switches.

737800481_AR58sX-Over-Drawing469.thumb.jpg.c20f1bc1e967e77fbe9db3cbfd8d29f2.jpg

Hi Stimpy.

You got a winner in the 58s.   Hope you enjoy them!    

Yea, i had a broken terminal on one cab, so i capped the 91 boards..........better connectors.    Nothing wrong with 58 board, just easier for me

1 hour ago, harry398 said:

Hi Stimpy.

You got a winner in the 58s.   Hope you enjoy them!    

Yea, i had a broken terminal on one cab, so i capped the 91 boards..........better connectors.    Nothing wrong with 58 board, just easier for me

Thanks!  I'm definitely enjoying my 58S speakers.  Much more than I anticipated.  So much so, that I bought a set of AR91 crossover boards too, as a mod.  Just putting together another cap order for those.

Nice job pulling the mid dome out.  Those have always been a challenge for me, due to family genetics with small fingers trying to "pop the bubble".

My family is the reason why Dynaco had metal screens over their domes...

If you are looking for AR 91 crossovers for your 58S's check that they are actually 91 boards. AR used the same Masonite boards for the AR 91 and AR92, although the components are different.  Some online sellers don't realize this and advertise them incorrectly. I did not realize this till Stimpy (I think)  set me straight. I was lucky and got the correct 91 boards.

8ocW4j1h.jpg

You've accomplished a lot in short order - nice job, Harry! 

Clever use of the AR-91 switched crossover, too; those might be the most reliable level controls that AR ever employed.

And thanks for the photos of your AR collection & listening room, as well as your work space - extremely impressive!

Thank you mr AR PRO.

I am getting good at this.     I enjoy the results, and some of them i sell off since i now have 15 pair.  LOL.   Cant keep em all.

I Also like sharing my results and opinions on sound quality.

You also have done tremendous work on ar speakers.   Thanks again.

20 hours ago, larrybody said:

If you are looking for AR 91 crossovers for your 58S's check that they are actually 91 boards. AR used the same Masonite boards for the AR 91 and AR92, although the components are different.  Some online sellers don't realize this and advertise them incorrectly. I did not realize this till Stimpy (I think)  set me straight. I was lucky and got the correct 91 boards.

8ocW4j1h.jpg

What differences should I be looking for here as mine are currently in progress?

Roger

1 hour ago, owlsplace said:

What differences should I be looking for here as mine are currently in progress?

Roger

The 91 has 5 caps.  Four, 8, 24, 40, and 100uf in value.  The 92 only has four capacitors; 4, 8, 24, and 80uf.  One coil difference in value too, but that's not so obvious.

• 3 years later...

On multiple occasions here  I have read the 58s crossover referred to as "simple". Like the 3a.

I have 91 xo's ready to go into the set of 58s that just 5 mins ago showed up at my drive way!!! ( first at 12"!)))

If the xo on 58s is 3a simple vs 91 complex and beautiful, I'll have been misled and bummed.  Like jbl centuries...the top two most popular vintage speakers had essentially 2 caps and a attenuation on mids and highs.  The at at least had a inductor on woofer.

I love the beauty of the guenious behind a complex xo.  Though simple 1st order can also mean better in some ( many cases) cases.

The AR58S crossover was simplified, compared to the 91, with the elimination of the level switches.  Otherwise, it's not a simple 6dB first order crossover.  Both can sound great, if correctly designed.

Regardless, good luck with the 58S speakers, and the crossover swap.  That should be fun.  😃

• 4 months later...
On 8/23/2021 at 12:49 PM, scottie munoz said:

On multiple occasions here  I have read the 58s crossover referred to as "simple". Like the 3a.

I have 91 xo's ready to go into the set of 58s that just 5 mins ago showed up at my drive way!!! ( first at 12"!)))

If the xo on 58s is 3a simple vs 91 complex and beautiful, I'll have been misled and bummed.  Like jbl centuries...the top two most popular vintage speakers had essentially 2 caps and a attenuation on mids and highs.  The at at least had a inductor on woofer.

I love the beauty of the guenious behind a complex xo.  Though simple 1st order can also mean better in some ( many cases) cases.