Suggested pairing to the 2aX

JeffPro

You folks helped me revive these beauties, now I could use some direction on how to power them. I imagine this topic has been gone over before, so if so, I apologize.

The best I can figure, and I will test my dads memory on this as well, is they originally had a Fisher Control Amp and Tuner. Based on the pics, the amp could be the X-202-C if it was tube, or a TX-200 if it was SS. I have a pretty strong recollection that there was a glow coming from the cabinet, and something kept burning out that made my dad frustrated to the point he finally stop fixing it. Hope he can recall that to confirm.

So my first really uninformed but emotional reaction is to hunt for the same amp, or at least keep it a Fisher from the same mid 60's era. Looking on places like Ebay, I do not see many that have come up. Not many resources for good used equipment that I was aware of near me, Chicago is not terribly far, but would be an all day adventure, and from what I see some shops post for prices, there are no bargains to be had. I did find a stereo repair shop owner that loves Fishers and collects them (never sells them) that could be a good source to help refurbish or at least check over one if I can find a good or from what I can tell a workable one. He did not feel it was worth it to fix the Scott 355R I have.

Funny enough, a record collector friend just told me about a shop up north that also brings in nice quality used equipment via estate sales, etc. I called just now and he has a Sansui 2000x for a reasonable price that I might pick up to hold me over until I can find the Fisher. The current Scott SS receiver is getting wonky and this process might take a while.

Current listening habits are low to mid level volume in a small room, turntable is the primary source. Wide range of musical taste, mostly 60-70's rock, but would love to grow the jazz vinyl collection. 

Any other suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

It's pretty much a wide open field, Jeff. The 2ax was an easy speaker to drive (relative to an AR-3 or 3a), and was in its day, very commonly matched with amplifiers in the 20-60 watt/channel range. Naturally, the earlier versions were usually tube-driven by Fisher, Scott, Dynaco, Eico, Sherwood, etc. amps, but the model was in production long enough to find itself in solid-state systems from the same manufacturers, as well as from some of the big Japanese sources like Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood & Sansui. Most of these amplifiers & receivers were at popular price points, as audiophiles with deeper pockets tended to match their Marantz and McIntosh gear with the AR-3 and AR-3a.

To my recollection, the 2ax was not fussy at all, and I cannot ever recall hearing one - regardless of amplifier - that sounded bad. So, this is good news. It's still possible to buy a "turn-key" vintage amplifier that's been gone over by an expert, but it will naturally be more expensive. Most of the tube gear - and vintage solid-state for that matter - will probably require some sort of attention, so being familiar with a reliable technician or someone experienced in vintage restorations wouldn't be a bad idea.

One of the most musical, best-balanced, and affordable audio systems that I ever heard was a pair of 2ax's driven by an AR amplifier & turntable combination. I think the list price on everything was less than $600!

Hi Jeff back in the 80s before the vintage receivers and amps prices skyrocketed on ebay i had both a few sansui and scott tube receivers and i preferred the sansui, If you can get a tube receiver that uses 6bq5 or 7189 output tubes sonically that would be a good match for the AR Speakers i remember the Fisher being a rare bird ps check out audioproz in Watertown Massachusetts Vince can find and fix a good match for your speakers

2000x should drive the 2ax's just fine. It's about 40 watts, and for your listening habits and room should be a nice pairing. I driven a pair of similar KLH Model Six's with tube amps between 14 and 35 watts, and solid state of 40-200 watts. Presently driving them with a McIntosh 1700 receiver and the sound is phenomenal. Like the previous folks have indicated, the field is wide open. Enjoy! 

Hi Jeff, I'm soon to complete my first AR restoration job on my brother's 2ax s from 1970 and I have the same question.  My brother's system consisted of a Pioneer amp (solid state), Dual turntable, Teac reel to reel tape deck, and the speakers. I don't remember the model numbers but I could ask him.

I currently have a Phillips 384 amp from around 1975 that my father in law gave me a long time ago. It's been up in my attic with the 2ax's for some time. It's 40 W per channel.  I'm just getting back into audio after a break of many decades so I'm not sure what my listening habits will be.  I'm also curious about tube amps.

I am currently enjoying a set of 2ax's stacked with some 5's powered by a Pioneer SX-1010. These two speakers really complement each other.

SX1010_zpscnnfdwki.jpg

I agree with Pat about the Marantz 22XX series of receivers. They would be a excellent choice for your 2ax's. Here is a couple of 2270's and a 2240 I have used. I love my silverface receivers, but there is something about these blueface models that just look so cool.

100_2649_zpsdjnwb5mq.jpg

Thanks for all the great feedback and pics, still would love to hear what else folks are using to run their 2ax's. Last night I did pick up that Sansui 2000 x, with the initial thought that it will be a stepping stone. I am very happy to report that the Scott must have had some serious issues as the Sansui opened up the speakers to a whole other level for me. The unit is very clean, although it does have a hiss you can hear in quite sections in the back ground which I understand is common but can be fixed. At 1/4 volume it sounds full and satisfying if I have to play nice with the wife, and creeping towards the 1/2 way point I don't find the need to go more. The tone controls stay either neutral or plus a couple tics, to get a full rich sound - the tweeters actually have come back into play. To be honest, I feel pretty satisfied with the set up, so now I can take my time looking for an amp to take it to the next level.

I agree with the other commenters,  you can't really go wrong with any source as long as it's in good shape.  I have been listening to my 2ax's (one just restored, the other still as it was) using a Realistic STA-2200.  This receiver is unique in that it has a MOSFET power amp section.  I haven't tried anything else yet but I am confident that anything I throw at it will be gracefully accommodated.

Jeff,

I have no 1st-hand experience with the 2000x but based on a little googling it seems like a nice receiver. IMHO any vintage receiver or amp should be checked out by a competent tech.

There were some super-powerful amps and receivers in the '70s and maybe that's what you want, to "take it to the next level". My own preference is to use all American components in my vintage system. I have nothing against imported stuff--I love my Onkyo surround sound receiver--but to me "vintage" hi-fi means American built stuff from the 50s, 60s, 70s.

Old Fisher stuff (your original choice) is great, but tube equipment is over-priced (IMHO). You can't go wrong with McIntosh but you'll pay for it. Sherwood made some real nice receivers not far from you in Chicago, and they're usually not expensive. A classic AR amp or receiver would be cool with the AR speakers. Believe it or not, Sylvania made some nice receivers in New York and they are often a steal if you can find one. If you want to go a bit newer, Adcom and Hafler made powerful amps here in NJ. Scott has a following. The KLH Twenty-Seven receiver is kinda neat. The Dynaco ST-150 was a good power amp (or go wild with a 400 or 416). Heathkit put out some nice stuff but the caveat with Heathkit and Dynaco (and a few others) is they may have been built by an incompetent kit builder.

So many choices.......

Hi Chris i used to have that same scotts integrated amp thats a nice tuner,  my frankenspeakers AR 93 needed more power so i went with a newer onkyo but i bet that sounds sweet with the AR 2s

Archived