Prices

dxho

I EXPECT TO SEE THESE SPEAKERS TO KEEP GOING UP AS SUPPLY GETS LESS. I PAID 800 FOR MY FULLY RESTORED 3A"S AND NOW ON EBAY I SEE A PAIR OF 3A'S FULLY RESTORED FOR 1295. THE PRICE QUOTED ABOVE IF IT IS THE SAME ONES I LOOKED AT WERE ORIGINAL 3'S IN MINT CONDITION BUT STILL NEEDED THE POTS CLEANED.

Craig--Check ebay to see what speakers are going for. I'd say a pair of 2ax's in great shape may be worth $200 to $300. In the condition you describe maybe 50 to 75. I just sold a pair of absolutely beautiful (IMHO) 2ax's. Fully restored, refinished, etc. They're the ones pictured in the Library here. They went for $300 and I considered myself lucky to get that. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on whether you are buying or selling) big great-sounding vintage speakers are generally under-appreciated and do not fetch big bucks unless they have some cachet, like the 3a. And it is just cachet. I recently bought a pair of 93s that are essentially a more modern, improved version of the 3a for $75 because the seller's wife wanted tiny little you-know-what speakers and he couldn't find a taker for the "too big" 93s! The 93s sound as good or better than the 3a and have a more durable tweeter that won't blow when I crank up the volume.

I've been trying to sell a pair of totally restored OLAs for $200 just to recoup what I put into them. No dice. My monster KLH Model Twelves rival the AR3a but you can't GIVE them away. I may have to "part them out"--sacrilege! I also have a pair of pristine JansZen J-Z 800s that nobody wants to buy.

Sorry for rambling. Bottom line: this hobby or obsession is for people who love the vintage New England sound and/or love to restore speakers--not for anyone looking to make a profit.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Kent

I saw these beauties and they long ago exceeded my weekly allowance, but did you notice the price skyrocketed more than $1200 during the final four seconds of the auction? Minty AR-3's sometimes do fetch some rare prices, but the mahogany cabinets seem to put this pair into the $trato$phere.

Here in the UK I recently paid £60 for 1970s vintage US-made AR-2ax with mahogany cabinets, and £200 for European AR-3a with teak cabs. Both needed re-foaming but the 2ax sound fantastic now (haven't redone the 3 yet).

Also picked up a pair of AR-7 for just £10, with their original boxes!

These were all on eBay.

• 4 years later...
On 2/15/2012 at 11:51 PM, dxho said:

$3710 for a nice pair of 3s? Is that a record?

Item number: 130645703648

That is a record ( oversea bidder ) does anyone in this Forums saved any PICS from this past listing..?

Congts the buyer for the beautiful AR3s has shipped to their house safely..

3700 ar3 history bids.jpg3700 ar3 over sea bidder.jpg

More power to 'em. This is simply supply and demand at work in a free market.

Some years ago there was a BMW commercial where a young man buys a vintage BMW from a 50+ farmer. The smile on the kid's face is priceless as the farmer opens the barn door and the sunlight illuminates the vintage auto. In the next scene, the farmer is tooling around at high speed in a new BMW. Everyone is happy.

On 9/26/2016 at 0:42 PM, Liangshan Marsh said:

That is a record ( oversea bidder ) does anyone in this Forums saved any PICS from this past listing..?

Congts the buyer for the beautiful AR3s has shipped to their house safely...

Well, TomT recently sold a set of AR-3's for $2,900 and a set of AR-2ax's for $1200.

I'd say if you have almost four grand to spend on these another grand to crate and ship probably would be the way to go ;)

52 minutes ago, jason4300 said:

As much as I'd like to own a vintage set of AR3's, I think I much more enjoy finding a $40 set of AR94's on craigslist.

How true ... ;)

Roger

Prices? Here is an auction for a JBL Hartsfield pair , in Anzio, a little city on Mediterranean Sea known for the allied troops beach head in WWII , image.png40 miles south of Rome . 35000,00 euros. Oh, if I only were a rich man. 

On 9/28/2016 at 3:05 PM, Sonnar said:

Prices? Here is an auction for a JBL Hartsfield pair , in Anzio, a little city on Mediterranean Sea known for the allied troops beach head in WWII , image.png40 miles south of Rome . 35000,00 euros. Oh, if I only were a rich man. 

Whoa, you should be able to source a replica for way less than that in my neck of the woods: http://jrsoundco.com/services.html

Yes, JBL Hartsfield , 1954 , fully hornloaded , with bass folded horn . Unlike Klipschorns, very easy to found at very reasonable prices, few Hartsfield were made and very few were shipped overseas . It 's an original Hartsfield in mint conditions and its rarity is the reason for the price. Probably bad sounding with today's standards , but it 's not a problem for the collector , a replica doesn 't have the appeal of the original , and collectors have surely a bit of madness in their brains . Look at this ad, a 1969 Lamborghini Miura for sale at three million euros . So, 3700 $ is a reasonable price for a MINT AR 3 pair, and probably a rare mahogany in mint conditions will cost more. Ciao , Adriano

image.png

image.png

Archived