AR 3A's I Got Today

DonT

Holy moly man! You must've built up some fantastic karma to get a haul like that. Those are beautiful and super early! Let us know how they sound when you get around to it.

And that Empire is fantastic. A wonderful table and of course matches up perfectly with the 3a's.

Enjoy!

Nice Catch! The AR-3a look like one-owner beauties from someone who cared for them.

And the Empire Troubadour was a masterpiece of machining; you can have a lot of fun restoring it to like-new.

The cartridge in the arm looks like it might be a Shure, but the one sitting on the lid in the next-to-last photo appears to be an Empire.

They used to package the Troubadour 598 with the Empire 1000ZE/X cartridge, and it was an excellent combination - the 1000 is a much-underrated cartridge.

Here's some history on Empire:

https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/empire-part-1/

1 hour ago, ar_pro said:

Nice Catch! The AR-3a look like one-owner beauties from someone who cared for them.

And the Empire Troubadour was a masterpiece of machining; you can have a lot of fun restoring it to like-new.

The cartridge in the arm looks like it might be a Shure, but the one sitting on the lid in the next-to-last photo appears to be an Empire.

They used to package the Troubadour 598 with the Empire 1000ZE/X cartridge, and it was an excellent combination - the 1000 is a much-underrated cartridge.

Here's some history on Empire:

https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/empire-part-1/

I got the 1000 ZE in a box with it. The needle looks okay. It has an Audio Technica on it.

4 hours ago, lakecat said:

Wow....that pair carries some of the earliest serial numbers I have seen! Great capture....let us know how they sound.

Well it looks like someone replaced or reconed the woofer on one. The other has never had the grill off yet. I wonder if I can find another older style woofer. We will see?

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

59 minutes ago, DonT said:

Well it looks like someone replaced or reconed the woofer on one. The other has never had the grill off yet. I wonder if I can find another older style woofer. We will see?

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

Dang...but the alnico shows up on Ebay occasionally. Good luck.

It's no big deal, I got them CHEAP. But sometimes when I post a price in the past there are some that argue and say I am lying about what I paid. here is a link to the estate sale that I bought them from. It has the company contact info on it and I don't know if they will say but you can call them and ask what they sold them for. It will SHOCK you! Oh and I got all 4 speakers and the TT for the one dirt cheap price. The other speakers appear to be off brand junk but I won't know for sure until I open them up.

https://www.estatesales.net/FL/Palm-Harbor/34683/2875353

Pic from the sale

132.jpg

2 hours ago, DonT said:

It's no big deal, I got them CHEAP.

Doesn't surprise me. Estate sales are usually run by people who deal mostly with furniture and ephemera and have no idea how to price electronics.

2 minutes ago, genek said:

Doesn't surprise me. Estate sales are usually run by people who deal mostly with furniture and ephemera and have no idea how to price electronics.

Yes they had absolutely no clue as to the value of this stuff. They referred to the Empire as "old outdated record player"