Thoughts on these "restored" AR5s?

ellloko

New here and looking to purchase a nice pair of vintage AR speakers to go with my Marantz 2245. These are listed locally and I don't know why they haven't sold in the 3 months they have been listed. Can someone take a look and let me know if they have been restored correctly? Price too high? 

And, if anyone knows if a solid place for me to buy a pair near the Atlanta area that would be great. I don't really know what to look for- I was looking into the AR 5 or the AR3 or 3A depending on cost. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/362971698229121/

Welcome to the forums!

Those look really nice and sounds like the restorer knows what they were doing. Can't really find any fault with what the seller has done. And the 5's are a really great classic AR speaker.

The price is a little high IMO, even for a restored pair, and that's probably why they haven't sold. I probably wouldn't want to pay much more then $3-350, but I've been known to overpay as well for gear that is in as nice as condition as this. Particularly if you plan to hold onto them for a while.

If they're local, I'd certainly recommend setting a time to listen to them with some of your favorite music. Sounds like he has other gear to sell so could be an interesting visit.

Let us know what happens. Good luck!

1 hour ago, ellloko said:

Can someone take a look and let me know if they have been restored correctly? Price too high? 

For the price I would keep looking.  The clean look of this pair draws attention away from problems that are described as benefits or advantages. 

1. The pots have been bypassed rather than replaced by installing new lpads with resistors or new style pots.  This is a big deal if you want original performance.

2. The original AR5 woofer had foam surrounds.  I suspect these woofers were scavenged from an AR2ax.

3. The tweeters appear to have been rebuilt.  I would want to know who did the work.  There are only two credible sources, anyone else is suspect. 

4. They are represented as teak but the cabinet backs are taped over where the labels would show they are teak cabinets.

They are done up nicely but the asking price is too high considering they are not really original in performance or appearance and there is no evidence of the quality of the circuit work.  They are worth the price of working parts.  Maybe $300 considering the woofers are wrong and $250 if the tweeters aren't correct. 

They don't look like teak in the photos. Ditto Aadams on the bypassed pots and tweeters. If the tweets were rebuilt by forum member Chris1this1 or RoyC they're good. Otherwise maybe not. I don't know about the cloth woofers but would trust Aadams.

The 3's are a better purchase, even if they need work or you wish to sell them due to buyer's remorse.

As mentioned above, the AR-5 was never equipped with the AR-2/2a/early 2ax woofer as seen in the photos. The seller was either too lazy or incapable of dealing with the level controls, which makes me wonder what else the seller doesn't know. They are also not "teak", just the usual walnut with a lighter stain after sanding. Lastly, a price of over $500 would be on the high side even if they were properly restored.

Roy

If I were in the market for such a speaker, I would buy them in an instant. The five was a brand new system back when I received a pair a brand new AR 2AX . They were a gift from my parents and beggars can’t be choosers. LOL, once I really got into this and started to read up on AR, I became intrigued by the five and realized if I was going out shopping back then the five is the one I would have bought.

Bill

58 minutes ago, lakecat said:

Yes...I stand corrected!..lol. I contacted the guy thru messenger and he avoided any question I had but swore they were teak. I asked him to remove tape to see....and he proceeds to block me on messenger!...lol. 

Ah Ha..... In one ☝️ post you’ve exposed the seller for what he is. A seller who’s hiding nothing would not respond to anyone like that!

12 minutes ago, newandold said:

Ah Ha..... In one ☝️ post you’ve exposed the seller for what he is. A seller who’s hiding nothing would not respond to anyone like that!

I suppose the answer to the question as to why they haven't sold in months has now been answered.

30 minutes ago, samberger0357 said:

I suppose the answer to the question as to why they haven't sold in months has now been answered.

Months?!? Wow....you’ve been monitoring this one I see.... selling quick is all about being brutally honest. Lots of pictures, and if you as a seller don’t know something for sure, let it be known in your advertisement. Oh well, I love buying, But I hate selling, a necessary evil at times.For what it’s worth, the last pair of speakers I sold off, went out of here in one week.

6 minutes ago, newandold said:

Months?!? Wow....you’ve been monitoring this one I see.... selling quick is all about being brutally honest. Lots of pictures, and if you as a seller don’t know something for sure, let it be known in your advertisement. Oh well, I love buying, But I hate selling, a necessary evil at times.For what it’s worth, the last pair of speakers I sold off, went out of here in one week.

Never saw the ad before you referred to it in your original post. But this would provide some clue as to how long he's been waiting for a buyer:

"Listed 15 weeks ago in Summerville, SC"

And yes, I agree with your points about how to insure a reasonably quick sale. You see a lot of his type on Craig's List, as least I do locally. Stuff that just sits and sits, never a price reduction, questions hardly or never responded to. Scratch your head situations.

Takes all kinds I suppose.

"

4 minutes ago, samberger0357 said:

Never saw the ad before you referred to it in your original post. But this would provide some clue as to how long he's been waiting for a buyer:

"Listed 15 weeks ago in Summerville, SC"

And yes, I agree with your points about how to insure a reasonably quick sale. You see a lot of his type on Craig's List, as least I do locally. Stuff that just sits and sits, never a price reduction, questions hardly or never responded to. Scratch your head situations.

Takes all kinds I suppose.

"

The one saving grace is The entertainment value. I mean, I do get a kick out of some of the sellers (and you become familiar with them after a while. Their M.O. is the same all the time, And much of their stuff just sits there forever.

42 minutes ago, ellloko said:

If I decide to purchase the 3s and the tweeters are blown is there a good replacement option for them? Guy at the audio shop said it wouldnt be as good as the originals.

Yes! You can have the originals rebuilt, which is by far the best option.  Both forum members RoyC and Chris1this1 rebuild them.  I can speak from personal experience with Chris as he rebuilt the tweeters in both the 3's and 3a's that I own.