Do AR speakers really sound that good? ** MORE NEW VIDEO**

The thread was moved to the section of the site that is for peoples' pictures of their systems. If anything, I probably waited too long to move it  Feel free to complain to the site owner if you feel it is inappropriate.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, in the spirit of this thread, using an Iphone 5s, I made video and audio files of some Van Morrison and Copland to see if I could produce something decent enough to share here.  After several attempts, I determined the best results were recorded too close to the system to get the speakers in the picture so I focused on the sound with the idea that before I posted anything I would “eat my own dog food” by first playing back the files on my systems.  

Bottom line is, for low dynamic range material that features a vocalist the sound was constrained but would have passed the computer speaker test.  When I played back the first minute of Fanfare for the Common Man, on Telarc, it became obvious that an Iphone 5s cannot capture the dynamic range that is being heard by my ears.  It was in no way a reasonable facsimile.  

FM. You have a fine Apple computer that will natively play hi res digital files.  If you connect it through an inexpensive DAC or even directly through RCAs to your Preamp and listen to your recording, you will hear what I am talking about.  I know your LSTs do not sound like smartphone recordings.

BTW the computer on which this post was composed has the same Altec computer speakers you describe purchasing in 2001 and I agree they are adequate for assessing music files to gauge interest but I use their headphone jack most of the time.

Adams

Contrary to what you say, the iPhone has a notably good audio and frequency response https://kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5s-audio-quality.htm

It's what you use for your listening components and room that matter, and especially judging from images that you've shown I'm forced to wonder as others would, if the room and speakers are properly arranged or if any sort of accurate statements/listening can be made. Fanfare for the Common Man is hardly a good piece to use for a thorough or even brief comparison as it is somewhat limited in its presentation and certainly too lengthy.

If this is what you're using as shown in your foto below, I'd like to see the rest of the room as shown from a your typical seating perspective  before I would find fault with your phone's ability.

6-26-19 copy.jpg

To aid in understanding, I'm sure we'd all like to hear a sampling of what  your playback sounds like as this is what this thread is all about.

If you're not receiving a good quality from my video clips, something is askew on your end for certain.

3 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

If you're not receiving a good quality from my video clips, something is askew on your end for certain.

I am glad to see you did not abandon your thread. 

First, you should play back your file on your LSTs instead of computer speakers before you try it out on others.

Re the 5s:

You are correct about the 5s, but the article you reference is strictly concerning the accuracy of the 5s DAC output and not its A to D conversion recording through its mic.   I agree with you and Ken Rockwell, the Apple DACs contained within their airplay products, are surprisingly good bargains. You happen to have one in your MacBook Pro which is an excellent digital front end.  Have you ever to used it as a hi fidelity music source?  You can use it to play your recording back on those LSTs

I am also glad you found my photo.   Taken out of context, it does appear I have a mess on my hands but If you will read the post in which it was contained, you know it was a temporary test configuration from over a year ago.

BTW I am all for the intent of this thread.  I just don’t see how listening to smartphone recordings on computer speakers achieves anything worthwhile. 

Re: Fanfare for the Common Man:   it plays for less time than most popular songs and has powerful transients going from silence to very loud in a hurry but, with a quality recording, everything about the dynamic and musical range of the piece is disclosed in the first minute or maybe even the first 30 seconds.   There are other options.  What would you suggest?

I would be happy to hear a smartphone recording of your LSTs playing HDR material of your choice. 

Adams

I repeat: "If you're not receiving a good quality from my video clips, something is askew on your end for certain". I have sent files to life-long stereo friends who have excellent systems and they were amazed of the very good quality.

I'm getting excellent listening results as does anyone who has decent computer speakers and, I made mention of that requirement in the beginning of my post.

I'm not here to enlighten you, nor do I care as I'm truly only interested in the pleasure that my over 50+ years of consumer audio experience and knowledge give me in my main system.

I have read the repetitive, monotonous and self admission of futility in the silly 'Blaster' whatever posts that have ended in no useful results for anyone. Even an honored and respected member here has told you, that you could never replicate an AR-LST with dog tail chasing.

It seems you expect me and others to pay credence and lend an ear to your posts. I don't have any need to, and typically as a matter of course automatically pass them by.

If you seek credibility, show me, and everyone else here on this site, what your listening to, tell us of your components that are used and include a clip of

what is heard in your room and perhaps I might be able to understand. You haven't done so,  and yet I have listed all of my components, cabling, high-end cartridges and so on and even showed multiple sound clips. While you are continuously skirting and avoiding the issues at hand while not offering any substantial proof.

The proof is in the listening. After all of my time-in, my 50+ years of learning experiences and dedicated practices of precision set-up 'front-ends' affording me the best system I've ever had in my entire audio life has no need to stop off for such foolishness to please anyone but myself and my visiting guests who are always elated and leave emotionally moved by the music, and super-high sound quality they've just heard.

Avoidance, and hiding behind the shield of the internet while double talking is lessening all potential believability.

The ball is in your court, show us a short clip that is representative of the sound you hear from your listening position as I and other members have done and things would change in terms of what I have already mentioned. Show us some views of your listening room or at least two sides of a four walled room showing component and speaker placement.

To reiterate; my $59. pay as you go phone renders excellent results both audibly and photographically though, maybe not as good as your expensive Iphone can but, can certainly offer an insight to one who has ears that know what to listen for.

I would say there is a good chance the mic on your new J3 is better than the mic on my 6 year old Iphone 5s.  Try your J3 with an HDR recording then play it back on your LSTs   Once you hear it on the system from which it was recorded we may have a basis for conversation otherwise,  I think you are just trying to be provocative and we are talking past each other.

On 6/26/2019 at 2:58 PM, Aadams said:

I would say there is a good chance the mic on your new J3 is better than the mic on my 6 year old Iphone 5s.  Try your J3 with an HDR recording then play it back on your LSTs   Once you hear it on the system from which it was recorded we may have a basis for conversation otherwise,  I think you are just trying to be provocative and we are talking past each other.

O.M.G. really?

Excuses, and more excuses, then, requests?  Photos please, where's your high-end laboratory/space in still fotos, I almost forgot you have video capability, show that too. Otherwise....... Then maybe it would nice if you list the degrees you hold, test documentation, test equipment used, microphones, mixers, DACs, room damping and cables used, along with comparative A-B recordings. Otherwise....... 

This thread is about the peaceful sharing of still fotos and or videos of member's systems. You come (butt-in) with comments such as "crap vinyl"  adding a negative tone and obviously directed at the thread's originator, which is me. Is there a chance you've read that I'm a dedicated vinyl person and owner of 7000+ vinyl disks replete with full 'brush & vacumm' and 'UltraSonic' cleaning methods. Have spent thousands of dollars on tonearms, high-end sota cartridges. Disrupting the enjoyment and fun some of us were having and still ignoring that this post is all about the sharing of members systems in that you won't show your's.

What don't you get about a short video recorded amateur-style on a $59. camera/phone low quality format posted on this site in low-quality before you inject particular levels of comment?  People I know who have seen and listened have emailed me about how good it sounds and other's if equipped with decent CPU speakers are in complete agreement with my opinion

You've made this into a big production and as I've said in every post of mine that you've invaded, I'm done with it!

On 6/19/2019 at 10:30 PM, JKent said:

What's the other black component in the stack?

Thanks Kent, I think I'll look into that recap. There is definitely a difference in sound when the 5's are connected to my father's Perreaux amps. Not massive,  but enough to be really pleasing. A recap of the 555a might close the gap. The old Perreaux's were bought for a few hundred dollars 10 years ago. Now, they cost a fortune, so out of my range.

The amp below the 555is a Sansui 101. It has been recapped and sounds great with the 18's. 

On 6/20/2019 at 3:56 AM, ra.ra said:

Your system is really fine - - - projecting back to the middle late 70's and that would be a pretty high end rig, in my book. Those components seem very well matched and the sound is excellent on that SRV song. In fact, that is the exact same tune that member GD70 has used to demo his restored AR-3's at one of our local meetings of gearheads.  

Yes, great track, eh! I walked into the local charity shop just after someone dropped off a stack of vinyl including that album. Good day. Thanks for the feedback. I'm very happy with the 5's post resto and now with the correct woofers. 

On 6/13/2019 at 4:30 AM, frankmarsi said:

Regarding cartridge choice, as I've mentioned above, for entry low cost ones, it's hard to beat the Audiotechnica AT-440ML series or the entry level Ortofon Red for moving magnets.

Thanks for the tips. Re. the 440ml,  do you know if the vm540, which has replaced it still do as good a job? The Ortofon 2M red is about a third the price of the AT over here. Maybe that's the best option. Do you think I'd notice a significant improvement over my current AT95E?

• 5 months later...

2-23-20

Although I’m quite satisfied with the whole system, barely any room for improvement other than trying out different vintage high-quality tone arms and modern higher echelon cartridges.

Pictured below on the left of foto during preliminary testing, measuring and tentative set-up is a mint condition “Fidelity-Research” FR-54 tone arm. If you know the name, you’ll know that they’re very high quality and rare in the USA market, though this particular model is popular in Japan.

At this early stage, things are basically ‘roughed-in’ but, the mounting distance seems to be spot-on thus-far. On the right side of foto is one of my many and favorite S.M.E. 3009 Series II 9 inch arms with a split-counter-weight mounted with a “Gull-Wing” by Benz-Micro cartridge and “Orsonic’ headshell which is my most prized and costly cartridge expenditure to date, even more than my four AR-LSTs combined.

If all goes well, I’ll be able to continue with what I like to call, ‘listener-tailoring’ of choosing the best suited cartridge for whatever record I’d be listening to. All this effort will also add a fourth vinyl input to be used at any moment’s desire with merely a flick of a switch on my two step-up transformers. Being a vinyl lover I have at my disposal the choice of how I want a vinyl disk to ultimately sound. That flexibility can only be enjoyed when using vinyl, of course.

So, until I begin to apply and measure with the necessary protractors and other measuring devices to exactly dial-in this new to me tone arm, it’s still a work in progress however, I have big expectations of great sound in keeping with the rest of the system.

FM

1141459049_20200222_1603521workcopy.jpg.d316468727014f3736a8ea088140fff6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

If you intend to show members what you are using or care to comment please do.

I'd show more but, as I've stated, enthusiasm seems to be nil.

I'm considering taking down my videos and text as not many here seem to be interested in making any worthwhile comments or showing their set-ups.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The next best thing besides playing my glorious AR-LST listening system is to actually play a musical instrument during a stay @ home.

Playing a musical instrument always endorses that my system is sounding realistic and affords the ability to compare just how accurate the system is actually reproducing real musical tones.

414440435_CSP.thumb.jpg.35d36a97a5266e2c9b4cf5e3e6a38d98.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2020 at 11:30 PM, frankmarsi said:

Nice empty boxes. LOL

Let's see the speakers and certainly that Tonearm as I once considered it. How do you judge this arm, what do you think of it?

Ha boxes, as rare as the actual speakers ! just had the woofers refoamed as they'd been in storage for several years so pics forthcoming

As for the rega arm , just basic not amazing on an AR whereas the AT1100 is so so much better , fantastic tonearms beautifully built sound amazing , heavier mass than your sme 3009 so more choices for carts/stylus , this and the AT1010 are my number one reasonably priced tonearm choices

and sorry for wandering a bit off topic in your thread , it was the Thorens  pic that did it

50284771588_a696b5798e_c.jpg

Hi reza, I agree your AT-1010 arm is better suited for a low compliance cartridges as it is a heavier arm.

I use a Benz Micro Gull-Wing (shown above),  which weighs in at 12.2 grams plus a 9 gram "Orsonic" headshell on my S.M.E. 3009’s and use a additional factory counter-weight so, I have no problems. Better quality Audio-Technica cart. cables round out the combination with a custom made high-quality cable from tone-arm to a Denon AU-340 SUT.    The resulting sound is blissfully sublime and it occupies the place of best sounding table and arm in system #1.

In system#2,  I use Dynavector 505 tone arms with one of them tracking with a Ortofon Cadenza Blue which weighs in at 11 grams though, I know it’ll handle even heavier cartridges.

Contrary to what the non-cognoscenti think, the more I spend for better cartridges and tone-arms, cables the better the sound is. Duh.

Sadly, some folks don’t agree and accept inferior sound quality as their normal, never realizing how important better quality 'input' components and accompanying better cables are. Some think as long as they have AR speakers, everything is perfect never knowing that the 'input' is just as important as the last component in the chain.

See a few of favorite my arms here:  https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/9747-i-just-wish-members-here-would-show-us-photos-of-their-set-ups-and-listening-rooms/

Some lovely tonearms and yes totally agree with you , especially if you like vinyl 

1 hour ago, frankmarsi said:

the more I spend in expense for better cartridges and tone-arms, cables the better the sound is

I've tried many tonearms but just have a love for how AT arms perform   , fwiw  its an AT1100 in the pic with their heavier counterweight and S shape (detachable) arm tube and a detachable headshell which at 67 years old I'm finding pretty essential nowadays when it comes to fitting new cartridges !

Although I'm more than satisfied with what I've chosen and use as my favorite tone arms, no harm in considering others. I'm curious as there were two models, one more costly than the other, the 'Standard' and the 'Phonomac'  which do you have, how would you describe its particulars/performance? 

7 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

Although I'm more than satisfied with what I've chosen and use as my favorite tone arms, no harm in considering others. I'm curious as there were two models, one more costly than the other, the 'Standard' and the 'Phonomac'  which do you have, how would you describe its particulars/performance? 

Only have the standard one , the Phonomac from what I gather is vastly improved with different bearings etc and at some cost I believe if they re still making them