I wish members here would show photos of their set-ups and listening rooms

I just wish members here would show us photos of their set-ups and listening rooms so as to allow us all some perspective and reference point in our conversations.

Describing the components, interconnects, sources and the like. Then we'd all have more to talk about.

Regarding a couple of posts above, I prepared a thorough response but, then I thought, why should I?

Like some here, I know how involved I've been all of these decades and what efforts I've made and what my system is comprised of. Generally, it doesn't matter to most because some folks will believe what they want to believe while going about their merry way none the wiser.

I have to ask; while standing outside of the situation, how many more conversations can be spoken of about AR speakers?

I feel we've reached a point of over-saturation. If folks spoke of their set-up's details and showed photos, then we'd all be better off while adding a sense of refreshed air while invigorating all concerned here.

P.S.  "ar-pro" in 1974 a friend and I had the speaker battle of the century in our own little world. He had JBL L-100's and I, my original AR-3a's from 1971.

Powered by his Marantz 2325 receiver the L-100s had 'it' in the presence area, aka upper mids and high-frequencies but, as suspected the 3a won our hearts in the bass extension area but came up short in most other areas. And the L-100 was certainly the winner in the volume category of the battle. Personally I felt compared to my speakers his were the typical overly bright sounding, a relative conclusion.

We used vinyl of course, as it was the sole qualifying source along with a Shure V15 Type III on an Empire 598 table.

After we were done and the smoke cleared and the dust settled,  I drove home with burnt out tweeters, P.O.ed as all hell. With-in two weeks I purchased the Micro-Acoustic's, Micro-Static tweeter array and never looked back.

Due to budgetary concerns, he sold his JBL's and later went on to Allison Ones with a PL-400 amp and PL-4000 pre-amp. Later on, he sold that and bought a set of AR-11's powered by a TOTL Rotel reciever, then sold that. Later on in the late '80s he bought Theil 3.5 speakers with B&K 202 mono-blocks, sold that and in 2014 bought used AR-11's again with a vintage Marantz 100WPC reciever. 

He's mentioned that he's strongly graving to pay me a visit to hear what I use today, except he now lives too far away.

I still have my 3a's.

FM

Photo of system taken 2014, front  wall corner bass-traps added since.

1751329555_3-27-14workBESTBESTlarger5copycopy3.thumb.jpg.95542b4dc3e033e73f89c0f3da1e6d9b.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, frankmarsi said:

while standing outside of the situation

How can this be? You started the thread and raised questions about tweeters.

19 minutes ago, frankmarsi said:

how many more conversations can be spoken of about AR speakers?

I have been through the archive of previous threads from years ago and was having similar thoughts---------- but------------ this is the AR forum.  What forum do we use to inflict our subjective opinions of sources, interconnects, etc. on one another?  I don't have much to say on the topic.  All of my sources are digital.  I use 14 and 16 gauge wire and plain old RCA jacks where possible.  I transmit music via cat5 and Wifi to whatever system I want and remote control it all from a smartphone choosing music on the fly if feel like it.     I am much happier than I ever was with vinyl except possibly the day I took my first system home from the Hi Fi shop.

Adams

I guess than you'll have to buy into vinyl and vintage sources all over again?

Besides, I didn't ask any questions  as I offered evidence and printed opinions of others which happen to coincide with my own.

I do know that I have one of the premier AR systems here and certainly proud of it.

It didn't come about by accident or was it borne out of lack of experience and chance purchases as I selected every component and addition knowing the exact improvement that would come about.

What I would like is to see a photo of your system. I have shown mine countless times as my reference, though few others show their's. I have to ask, why is that?  Is it shyness or lack of a digital camera?:rolleyes:

If as you say you're different because of the set-up you use, what more could I offer you?

I've been here on this forum for over 14 years now and an owner/enthusiastic AR listener over 45+ years. I have gone back and forth with the same folks about the same details many times.

If you are happy with your results, that's fine by me. If you chose two use inadequate gauge cables and wiring and lesser grade RCA's that'll place you where you might want to be, whereas I chose to be elsewhere using a higher quality and more system correct cables. Quality of cables can and do make huge differences, you should try it.

However, I don't see your point, verbal descriptions only ago so far, show us your listening room to assist your credibility factor.

I really think I and others would like to see your set-up before I continue any further. It'll be interesting to see and discuss it with you. Out of curiosity, have you been to "Audiogon" or other higher-end sites?

FM

2 hours ago, ar_pro said:

Adriano, I'd love to listen to the new Technics SL-1200G. How did the Technics tonearm seem to you?

The arm of the new SL 1200 G is fabulous and very " general purpose ". We used it with my old Shure V 15 III , a Grado Signature Black , then MC Denon DL 103 and the marvelous FR 1 mkII ( Lehmann step-up ). In every situation it shows excellent ability to drive every pick up. Probably it's build with close tolerances and with better materials ( magnesium ) . The turntable weights 39.68 lb. !

Adriano

IMG-20171001-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20171001-WA0007.jpg

Adriano, the tonearm of the new SL-12000G arm may be too light in terms of its mass for the Denon DL-103. It can be used but, with lesser results than with a high-mass arm can give.

I'm curious does that FR 1 mkII have a new stylus and cantilever, or the Type III for that matter?

Correct, the newer table has a heavier damped platter and is over-all constructed with better materials. However, the SL-1200GAE is the cream of the reissued models as its platter is even better than the standard SL-1200G. And although the included arm is better than the second series of SL tables it's still the weakest part of the re-issues.

No other table except for something more than 3 times its cost, or at any cost will better this table as far as speed accuracy goes and I have strong suspicions many will buy the table and put much more costly and better quality arms on it like folks have been doing since its inception back in 1972.

You want to talk about loving vintage do ya? I use the first issues from 1972, and I have 6 of them, plus 2 SL-1100 with two Dynavector DV-505 tonearms that are in mint condition. The latest fun items have been two Grace F-840 tonearms that I have slightly modified to utilize heavier MC cartridges. There are also five S.M.E. Pre-improved 3009 S2 arms along with two S.M.E. Improved arms and they're all in minty to excellent condition so, between all of the arms and multiple cartridges, I enjoy these things that I wanted 40+ years ago and now have them.  

That's how strongly I feel about their ability to sound excellent. These arms and tables are virtually a perfect match for one another and have heightened the sound quality of my system like never before.

FM

Below: Matching mint condition SL-120's sporting two minty S.M.E. 3009 S2 pre-improved tonearms. One with Lyra Delos, the other with Lyra Kleos MC cartridges. Below the two turntables is a Phase Linear Series II PL-700 in mint & upgraded condition. A full-complementary circuit amplifier and one of two used in powering four AR-LST's in main system #1.CIMG1920.JPG

Below:  Mint Technics SL-1100#1 during cleaning and testing.  Super-rare mint condition Dynavector 505 tonearm. Both slated for system #2 .2.jpeg

Below: Mint Technics SL-1100 #2 during testing of rare Grace F-840 tonearm with Ortofon Cadenza Blue MC cartridge and custom made acrylic armboard.CIMG2102workingbest dust.jpg

Below: Another view of SL-1100 with modded Grace F-840 tonearm.

CIMG2092 copy copy.jpg

Yes, a high mass arm would be better with DL 103 : the re-issue of the SP 10 it' s the ideal , interchangeable arms , but at 15000 euros it 's a bit expensive . My friend bought the FR 1 mkII  by a collector , almost like new . 

1 minute ago, frankmarsi said:

Sadly, that cartridge is too old to perform correctly unless it has been re-tipped with the last few years. The rubber grommet that holds its cantilever has no doubt stiffened and will not permit it to move as the stylus vibrates it, the same with the Type III.

Yes, I know . And it should be the same for the suspension of every midrange and tweeter in old AR 3 . But the FR 1 mkII today sounded  better than a new DL 103 , and my four old AR 3 sounds sparkling and alive . Probably 40 years ago they all were better sounding , but still today they gives great satisfaction. 

On 10/1/2017 at 5:59 PM, Sonnar said:

Yes, I know . And it should be the same for the suspension of every midrange and tweeter in old AR 3 . But the FR 1 mkII today sounded  better than a new DL 103 , and my four old AR 3 sounds sparkling and alive . Probably 40 years ago they all were better sounding , but still today they gives great satisfaction. 

The problem doesn't end there, that cantilever will cause the stylus to wear out any disk it plays due to its lack of its necessary designed up and down and sideways travel.

I wouldn't take such chances especially with valued records. An excellent replacement for the Type III stylus runs about $150., but, if on the cheap, of course you can find one for $50. but, buyer beware. With all of the time, effort and expense I've invested in my vinyl playback system and with the higher quality I've come to expect due to better choices of styli and cartridges, I wouldn't take such chances. That table cost about $2,000. and to put an old barely functioning cartridge in it makes no sense at all. Cartridge construction and design have improved quite a substantial amount since those two cartridges were made.

And that is the reason why I prefer MM cartridges . You can always have a new stylus . And probably You 're right , modern designs and materials are better than older ones , but vintage gear has a fashionable way in sounding , not perfect but with a lot of personality . The only vintage gear I don' t like are solid state amps, obsolete circuitation and obsolete materials , not a real personality but very bad sounding . 

Adriano

2 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

What I would like is to see a photo of your system

Pictures of  gear won't prove anything.  Send me a picture of how yours actually sounds and will try to do the same for you and yours better sound at least as good as a Wilson TOTL Monster. On another note, are you aware that you are hijacking your own discussion thread.  This is  looking more a like social outing than a  speaker discussion topic which was ostensibly the AR9 but, to your credit, you did label the thread "REQUIRED READING FOR ALL MEMBERS".

BTW I did post a picture of one my systems in the mods thread and you made fun of it.

Adams

Sadly, this thread seems to be devolving into some sort of %#*@ing contest over who has the fanciest/costliest gear. Maybe it's time to banish this thread to the Kitchen.

'I just wish members here would show us photos of their set-ups and listening rooms'

Well, I just wanted to show my #1 system. I like to refer to as, 'A Dream Come True'.

Enjoy, as it's rather rare to see such a system of much heralded and priced components so well set-up and arranged. When I finally had everything in place and fully operational, I was beyond impressed myself.

I continue to be amazed every time I listen as I've never heard anything quite like it in its category. Each component selected for its own sonic virtues and sound quality.

Below: Comprised of two direct-drive SL-120mk1 turntables, one belt drive Thorens TD125. Each table is using S.M.E. 3009 9inch tone arms, each mounting MC cartridges.

Ten inch Revox A77mk4 2 track tape, Sansui FM 517 tuner, two Marantz CD players a CD63Modified & CD5001. S.A.E. 1800 Parametric equalizer. Two Denon AU-340 and AU-320 step-Up transformers. All 3500 vinyl disks are in excellent, or new condition,(you're only seeing a small fraction of the collection), and cleaned with an ultra-sonic cleaning machine (I have another 3700+ more to clean).

Wall AC is filtered and distributed by a Belkin PF60 conditioner handling, all components, turntable lamps and amplifier fans. All components utilize vibration isolation feet and strategic placement of components on shelves.

AR-LST BEST in color.jpg

35 minutes ago, Aadams said:

A distinction that has not been bestowed in over 5 years.  How close were we?

Not very. Discussions get banished to the kitchen when they degenerate into personal attacks. If they're only veering way off topic, we just move them to where they fit.

16 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

'I just wish members here would show us photos of their set-ups and listening rooms'

Your system is something I would have dreamed about in the 70s and 80s - the speakers into the 2000s- but things change and I have come to realize that I get more enjoyment in the digital realm.  New vinyl recordings come from digital masters so I don’t perceive any audible advantage in vinyl over lossless digital and vinyl with its trappings is high maintenance.

This is my system. 

This one screen contains every feature shown in your system photo that is outlined in red (below) and will do everything your system will do except overdub.  Program source can be -but almost never is - fed simultaneously to  9s,3as,58s,5s,EPI20+, DCMs and my BLAST Stack. 

Musicplayersnip.thumb.JPG.d311b50be9c3839ff36087b54db710b6.JPG

Musicplayerremotesnip.JPG.93316282153f10d1cda9364a989012e3.JPGmusicsystemsnip3.thumb.JPG.ad5153e26cd853b6be67645aee8443d2.JPG

A curious post by Adams?

I could imagine that my system might evoke interest and even be almost dream-like for some but, to outline a foto of my system in red and state that one has all of the same equipment and still not post a foto of their own set-up is a bit odd to me.

Right now, I'm feeling very uncomfortable especially reading a post like this that is not normal behavior. To deface another's foto has not been done in such a manner by any other member before to my knowledge of being on the site for over 13 years. I wonder if other members would entertain their own fotos used in such a way?

I feel uneasy about the use of my foto like this and ask the moderators to please intervene. Removing my foto from another member's post is not out the realm of the moderator's ability is it?  In addition, an irrevocable warning should also be applied as such behavior is very unsettling to me as a veteran member of this site.

Does anyone else feel similar?

I ask that any other members who agree to please reply.

FM

I'd say that Kent has pretty much nailed the direction this discussion is going.

FYI, marking up someone's photo with new info and reposting it is called "fair use." it's totally legal and there's no rule against it here.

7 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

... to outline a foto of my system in red.....I feel uneasy about the use of my foto.....other members....please reply.

The photo editor who red-marked the OP's out-of-focus image was simply making the point that he has moved from analog to digital, thereby having no need for three high end turntables, a beautiful Revox R-to-R, well-cared-for mountains of vinyl LP's, or other sophisticated electronic control devices. Far be it for me to advocate as a digital devotee - - I am hopelessly stuck in the analog audio Stone Age - - but I fully respect and wish to learn from those who have adapted to more modern technologies and continue to enthusiastically enjoy their audio systems within a more compact or portable format.

7 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

I could imagine that my system might ... be ... dream-like for some....

There is no question that the system shown is large and powerful, very expensive, hugely satisfying to its owner, and capable of producing a superb audio experience. And while the sharing of this information and the enthusiasm expressed is much appreciated when it remains humble, one should not conclude that bigger is better for everyone, or that everyone's dreams stem from an identical or like-minded imagination.    

10 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

still not post a foto of their own set-up is a bit odd to me.

Dear Mr Marsi

What I have shown you IS the "set-up". The control center and music signal transmission is completely portable within the house, though it stays in one location almost all the time and I control it remotely.  I no longer have a room with a complete sound system.   Literally, the function of every item I have outlined in your photo has been subsumed by the computer that is attached to the display you see above.  I just have rooms around the house containing speakers with amps of sufficient power connected to them.  The music is passed through cat5 and wifi.  There is no big setup.  If I presented pictures of everything, I would be giving you a tour of the house and I am not doing that on the internet.

Cordially

Adams

0912170900.jpgI love the "set up" Adams.  Mine is mostly still big antiquated hardware-centric, with  several thousand lp's and cd's and the things to play them on. But for several years now I have also embraced digital technology, and happily use my Squeezebox Touch and computer to stream what now amounts to a personal library of over 1500 albums, plus various radio programs worldwide, and to try out new music from sites such as Bandcamp and Spotify.  It's lovely to have this digital jukebox at my fingertips, particularly in the evening when my wife and I are hanging out and working or doing other things just to be able to put the music on random, or create a playlist, and let it go on for hours if need be. 

No reason anybody has to be trapped with just one medium. It's easy and fun to use everything available to be able to access as much music as you want. 

0816170944a.jpg

0609171805.jpg

mc250.jpg

0616171626.jpg

Most of our old album library is gone, but we've been steadily replacing favorites, as well as expanding our collection of vintage and new-release vinyl on the ECM label.

We do already have a significant portion of the ECM music as CD-quality wav and flac files on our server, and it's interesting to compare the vinyl with the digitized version playing through our Squeezebox Transporter, controlled by an iPad app. As Sam has said, having a significant library at your fingertips is just remarkable - it would've been simply jaw-dropping a mere 20 years ago - but there's still something about being "in the moment" with a spinning record. Maybe it's the knowledge that you'll need to get up to lift the tonearm in a few minutes, but I tend to be more focused than I would be with digital!

And I still get a kick out of looking at photos of large LP collections; staring at a 3TB hard drive just isn't the same. ^_^

As Aadams has written, so much is possible with virtual componentry. Vinyl collecting notwithstanding, the trend certainly seems to be away from "ownership" of media in favor of access to streaming capabilities. The interim will probably see a certain percentage of people who still have collections of LPs, CDs, or files, but at some point the model will be "no-nership", with streaming access a necessity of life. One more monthly charge to absorb into the budget, without thinking twice.

Archived