AR9 Teledyn Big LF Caps where?

Pk Vintage

Hello all, First post

I am picking up my one owner all original AR9's tomorrow and I want to start the recap and re surround process.

I have been doing my research on the High Mid and LF Caps and have decided that I want to go the replacement route.

Can anyone tell me where to find the big caps. I have been looking but yet to find anything 100V or more. It has been suggested that I bunch together to get to the 2500 uf but I would rather use one cap if I can find it at a reasonable price. I guess the 470uf should also be included in this discussion.

I am very excited to hook these up to my big fat Bryston's and here them sing. Yah! Crank it up!

Thanks for any help,

Madisound carries Bennic NPE caps in large size.

For the AR9 you could use (2) 165uF + (1) 140uF for the 470uF  and for the 2500uF (2) 1000 + 500 caps OR (5) 500uF caps.

I would first check and see how the originals measure. They may still be within spec.

5 hours ago, Pk Vintage said:

Hello all, First post

I am picking up my one owner all original AR9's tomorrow and I want to start the recap and re surround process.

I have been doing my research on the High Mid and LF Caps and have decided that I want to go the replacement route.

Can anyone tell me where to find the big caps. I have been looking but yet to find anything 100V or more. It has been suggested that I bunch together to get to the 2500 uf but I would rather use one cap if I can find it at a reasonable price. I guess the 470uf should also be included in this discussion.

I am very excited to hook these up to my big fat Bryston's and here them sing. Yah! Crank it up!

Thanks for any help,

You might want to consider measuring the caps before you replace them.

Welcome Pk

A couple of observations:

1. I like Nebraska Surplus Sales, recommended by AR_pro, but remember you need bi-polar caps. I don't know if their biggies are BP.
  2. Tom and Roy are real experts on AR speakers--both are co-authors of the AR-3a restoration guide. So if they say the caps don't tend to go bad, I'd believe them. Best bet might be to pick up an LCR meter (or at least a C meter) and check them.

btw--if you do need to replace the caps there is nothing wrong with paralleling smaller values. Some people even prefer this approach.

Big Brystons. Cool! :D

-Kent

On 8/9/2017 at 5:02 PM, Pk Vintage said:

Hello all, First post

Thanks for any help,

I'm curious, which Brystons do you have and from which years?

You indicate plural, how are you hooking up the amp(s), what gauge cable and type of spades are you using? Are you fusing them as you should and if so, at what rating?

I have AR-9's also and I have experienced mixed results when bi-amping, I expected more from the speakers.

I ask because, I used two PL amps with 400RMS/per-channel@4ohms which of course, equaled 1600 watts total and the 9's simply soaked it up and seemingly weren't phased, although the amps were "Phase",  get it? 

As a new arrival, do you have any information that you could pass along to some of the ranks here who also have AR-9's even though this may be uncharted territory for you?  You must have some preconceived notions or experienced opinions having come to this point at hand?

FM

Thanks all for the reply's, Firstly, I am not experienced at this! and will be making my decisions based on the forum members recommendations.

I picked them up and they are perfect except for cracked surrounds on the Mids. Not a mark anywhere! I have all literature, boxes, packing including the original purchase invoice.

So I get them home and they sound great bi-wired to my Bryston 4B. I also have a 3B ST I am going to try bi-amping with.

I have been reading quite a bit on the re-cap procedure and have found several opinions based on real world experiences that says doing the large caps, and NOT in a bundled way,  makes a profound difference, even on caps that tested close to spec. They mention that simple testing does not tell the complete story. A fellow by the name of Brett, handle "Diamonds and Rust" seems to have a real good working knowledge on the AR9.

I will be A/B ing the AR 9's with a set of re capped and LF modified Kappa 8's and my re-capped IMF TLS 50's.

Below is a thread I have been reading and make reference to above.

On 8/10/2017 at 1:17 PM, frankmarsi said:

I'm curious, which Brystons do you have and from which years?

You indicate plural, how are you hooking up the amp(s), what gauge cable and type of spades are you using? Are you fusing them as you should and if so, at what rating?

I have AR-9's also and I have experienced mixed results when bi-amping, I expected more from the speakers.

I ask because, I used two PL amps with 400RMS/per-channel@4ohms which of course, equaled 1600 watts total and the 9's simply soaked it up and seemingly weren't phased, although the amps were "Phase",  get it? 

As a new arrival, do you have any information that you could pass along to some of the ranks here who also have AR-9's even though this may be uncharted territory for you?  You must have some preconceived notions or experienced opinions having come to this point at hand?

FM

Bryston 4b NPB on the LF and 3B ST for the mid and high.

Bryston 1B pre amp.

12 gauge cable

Banana plugs

My closest are probably my Kapa 8's which sound very good in all aspects. I think the Kapa's are the best speakers I have ever heard, hence the search for something better. What am I missing? I really like the following that the AR line has. The 9's are sooo very cool. I have always been a lover of old quality items, Cars included, although, they have taken a back seat to the audio for 6 months.

On 8/9/2017 at 2:53 PM, ar_pro said:

You might check some of the threads about re-capping the AR-9, there are many opinions on this.

These guys sell big caps:

https://www.surplussales.com/index/Electrolytic-Capacitors.html

Thank you for the supplier suggestion. There are quite a few there to choose from. Could you narrow it down and maybe make a couple of suggestion for the 470 and the 2500.

I really have no idea. I am not too worried about the cost within reason of course. I am very interested in your advice.

I have never owned or dug into any AR-9's, but I am curious why your attention is solely on the large value caps for the larger drivers. It has been my experience that typically, cap replacement is more intensely focused on the smaller value caps for the HF drivers where there is often an immediate bang-for buck noticeable improvement in performance. Am not sure exactly what your ultimate goals are, but I'd be taking a hard look at the caps for the tweeter and upper midrange circuits right away. 

Showing pics of your crossovers may be useful, too - - many people here can give more specific advice once they've seen which type of caps AR used in your set of speakers. 

On 8/9/2017 at 11:04 PM, RoyC said:

I agree with Tom....These seldom need to be replaced.

Roy

It was my understanding that the big Spragues are robust, but the big aluminum Callins can be suspect.  No?

Anyway Pk, I replaced the big caps in my AR9's with bundled caps and they sound excellent, but I hope you can find a suitable single cap replacement for each of those big cans.  Let us know.

16 hours ago, Pk Vintage said:

Could you narrow it down and maybe make a couple of suggestion for the 470 and the 2500.

No NPE caps available there.

10 hours ago, AR surround said:

It was my understanding that the big Spragues are robust, but the big aluminum Callins can be suspect.  No?

Large Sprague and Industrial Condenser caps generally measure better than Callins.

The problem is there are more "opinions" than measurements in these threads....and a need to believe individuals who claim to be able to hear that which cannot be measured.

Roy

On 8/12/2017 at 7:24 PM, RoyC said:

Large Sprague and Industrial Condenser caps generally measure better than Callins.

The problem is there are more "opinions" than measurements in these threads....and a need to believe individuals who claim to be able to hear that which cannot be measured.

Roy

Diamonds and Rust seems to have done the upgrade a few times and recommends to definitely go with the 1 cap the same value for LF caps. I would like to try to this method first if I can find the caps. 

2 hours ago, ra.ra said:

Do these pics represent the type of components you are seeking? If so, these listings are all over the internet on a major auction site.

sprague 470.jpg

sprague 2500.jpg

I saw these. I have been told through this post that I need non polar caps. I do not know how to tell if these are non polar. Also they say DC.Does that matter? There is another listing on the Nebraska surplus sales site for one that is not DC. I do not know much about this unless it is outright obvious. I am trying to learn so I can do my own upgrades but it is not always easy to.

Thank for the effort in posting this.

Paul

Archived