Repairing and Refinishing AR Cabinets

Charles218

Some of you may recall that I was fortunate to find two pairs of 3A's at a local reuse shop several months ago. I have worked on them on and off as time allows. Mostly cleaning pots, though I am installing a pair of Joe Breen's SA-16-AR Stepped Attenuators in one pair, and replacing the capacitors.

I now want to begin work on making them look as good as they sound, and this may be a difficult chore as there are a few major issues. 80% or so of the cabinets have normal forty year old wear, but there are a few places that need major attention. I posting a few shots of the worst spots to give you an idea of what they look like. I've spent a few hours reading various posts here, but I still don't have a good feel on how to proceed. I guess that in a perfect world, there would be a restoration guide for the cabinets. It's just that I've read so many different threads with so many different methods that I'm feeling a bit confused on how to proceed. Though I really enjoy working on the speakers, I'm beginning to think that I would be happier in the end if I turned them over to someone with woodworking experience.

So my questions are, considering the kind of damage that these cabinets have, can a novice woodworker do a decent job getting them back in reasonable condition? Is there a guide, with step by step instructions, for refurbishing these cabinets? Is there anyone within a couple hundred miles of Ann Arbor who does this kind of work and has respect for these vintage speakers?

Thanks!!!

post-101619-0-69294800-1381553993_thumb.post-101619-0-69341400-1381554006_thumb.post-101619-0-63732300-1381554018_thumb.post-101619-0-98552000-1381554036_thumb.post-101619-0-97398100-1381554057_thumb.post-101619-0-09043200-1381554067_thumb.post-101619-0-72598600-1381554077_thumb.post-101619-0-08422500-1381554094_thumb.

Those look challenging but repairs have been discussed here so search around a bit.

The open corners can be glued together by forcing glue down into the joint with a knife then clamping with big bar clamps. For glue use brown elmer's woodworking glue, hide glue or epoxy tinted with #22 brown Mixol. The epoxy would be my choice because if the seam is not perfectly closed the epoxy will serve as filler.

The pieces of veneer can be glued back on. Chips and corner gouges can be filled with epoxy: Either John O'Hanlons method or Roy Champaign's fave.

John: Use 2-part epoxy and tint it with #22 Tobacco Brown Mixol. For corners you will have to make a form or dam. Masking tape usually works.

Roy: Use Walnut color Mohawk epoxy sticks. This is kneaded in your hand to mix then pressed firmly in place.

The epoxy repairs will have to be filed and sanded to shape. The veneer can be sanded but VERY carefully to avoid sanding through.

The paper is probably the least of your worries. You can probably dampen it with paint thinner/mineral spirits, then scrape it off.

Kent

search for "epoxy" or cabinet restoration in these pages. Here are a couple of threads:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=7807&hl=epoxy#entry96983

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=7787&hl=epoxy#entry96932

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=7424&hl=epoxy#entry94361

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=6284&hl=epoxy

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=6139&hl=epoxy#entry86209

there are lots more

K

or you could go the route that many historical furniture and antique car guys are taking these days - stabilize, preserve, and present as-is; believing their current state is an accurate representation of what they are, what they represent, and where they have been - maintain the function (listening experience) while showcasing the history.....

Yikes.....that looks really bad. Like they sat in moisture for a time. That walnut veneer is not that thick and hence the moisture has it stained black beyond repair I bet. If it was me, I would sand them really well...... then wood glue the corners and bar clamp them for a night..... bondo the chips and sand smooth....and finally.....just put new walnut veneer on them or paint them in a satin oil.

or you could go the route that many historical furniture and antique car guys are taking these days - stabilize, preserve, and present as-is; believing their current state is an accurate representation of what they are, what they represent, and where they have been - maintain the function (listening experience) while showcasing the history.....

Judging by your username you must be familiar with Anthropologie stores which embody that sort of weathered, vintage style. I can easily see a pair of "distressed" ARs like these fitting into that kind of setting quite well, as would an old turntable and the rest of the vintage hi-fi gear that would go along with it. In fact In fact that could be a great way to use a pair of ARs that might otherwise be too challenging to restore. It takes a good design eye to pull off the vintage look and make what could otherwise be considered junk look great, though.

My wife loves Anthropologie so I can tell you the WAF for those speakers would likely be quite high in that kind of setting, and we do have a room like that in our house. But they'd definitely need to be restored if they were headed into our decidedly non-shabby-chic living room.

As lakecat has written, the damage from moisture is significant and extensive; and argues against an amateur restoration, except as perhaps a learning experience.

Unless you can find a skilled woodworker (at a comfortable price) who'd be interested in removing & replacing the veneer so that you could then stain & seal the cabinets yourself, you might be better-served by just sanding & smoothing the ruined veneer, and patching the gaps and splits, with an eye toward painting the cabinets.

I've seen vintage cabinets that have been professionally filled & sanded, and then spray-finished, and they can look as good as many current high-dollar loudspeakers that use a lacquer finish.

Consider it a "resto-mod" approach, where the spirit & performance of the original is preserved, but with an eye toward a modern aesthetic, and taking advantage of 21st Century knowledge & parts.

I think I would go with the "resto-mod" look as ar-pro mentioned.

Maybe a little sanding and quick coat of Restor & Finsh.

Other than that it would take a very skilled wood worker, which I'm certainly not, to get them back in shape.

Either way let us know what you plan on doing.

I disagree. I would find the open seams and the corner bash hard to live with. I do not consider myself a skilled woodworker and my present house has no basement so I don't have a "shop" to work in but it's fairly easy to mix epoxy and glue cabinets. Borrow (if necessary) some long bar clamps. Other than that the only tools needed are a file (optional), some sandpaper and a sanding block. Then do the Restor & Finish followed by either wax or Watco Danish Oil.

Just my $.02. YMMV

Kent

Hi All,

This has turned into an interesting discussion. My goal when working on vintage speakers is to keep them as true to the original as is reasonably possible. Obviously new surrounds and caps can be a necessity in order to come close to the original sound. There is something about the process of keeping them original that I enjoy. With that in mind, I think my first step will be to find a local expert woodworker and get her/his opinion of how to proceed. If the price isn't unreasonable I will probably let them go ahead and repair the damages. I can then certainly restore the finish and end up with something as original as possible

This is definitely not a job for a first-timer. The water-damaged corners probably have structural issues beyond cosmetics, and a proper restoration might actually require cutting out damaged material and splicing in new. It depends on what you find on the inside when you open it up. Ultimately, this may be a candidate for a complete reveneering.

Archived