The Development of the AR9 Loudspeaker

tysontom

On 1/5/2022 at 9:55 AM, AR surround said:

I'll never forget the look on my mother's face...mouth wide open in shock...when we hauled those huge boxes into the house. 

The best description of the inimitable presence of 9s that I’ve ever heard.

This made my day.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/5/2022 at 8:42 AM, tysontom said:

Thanks!  That is impressive that you've had those AR9s for all those years!  Gerald Landau, an early Marketing Director at AR, used to tell hi-fi dealers that AR speakers, once sold, tended to "stay sold."  

My father-in-law was Gerald Landau — I loved hearing his AR stories about the showroom in Grand Central Station. I was wondering if there are any photos of Jerry working in the showroom? And photos of the showroom? 
Thank you,

GGL

On 1/3/2022 at 6:10 PM, tysontom said:

I actually took down the article for now because it is likely to be publshed next month (not for sure, though).

Tom

I would like to read this article. Where is it published?

• 8 months later...

Tom, I thank you for posting that article. At the risk of sounding like a wuss, reading this article gave me a warm-fuzzy feeling about the way things once were in this country.

Back in the early 1970s I was such a proud owner of my AR-3a’s, I endorsed them to every one I spoke to when the conversation was about stereo. I also had a slight glimpse of that same feeling when I finally bought a pair of AR-9’s in 2014. Certainly I feel it when I listen to my system of stacked AR-LST’s these days.

Back in the day similar feelings were common for me as a young person, owning AR speakers was almost a “right of passage’ into quality listening and I felt much pride of ownership. When I was 20 in 1970, I actually started saving any spare change I could with hopes of someday buying AR-3a speakers. Upon discharge from the armed forces, I used some of my “GI” benefits allotted for college and also worked part-time to buy my first pair of AR-3a’s. And by mid 1971, I awarded myself with what I felt at the time was the absolute best speaker on the planet. Coming back from college classes, the first thing I would usually do is turn on my self-built Dynaco PAS-3X and ST-120 amplifier and listen to my brand new AR-3a’s.

So, thanks again Tom and here’s to good listening! Cheers!

FM

Have a listen. https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/10649-do-ar-speakers-really-sound-that-good-more-new-video/

image.thumb.jpeg.8e2d9c61991230b70283b5fc8be3c308.jpeg

On 11/29/2022 at 8:51 AM, AR surround said:

I'm still waiting Frank @frankmarsi .......

Franks 3rd pair.png

Heavy is the head the wears the crown.

I need more time to organize as my vinyl collection is dominating the area.

As is visible with my system, when I get into something, I really get into it.

Then there’s the possibility of you becoming overly audibly intoxicated, then what, how will you get back home-that is of course if you wanted to leave? You may not, and force yourself into taking the spare bedroom which contains the other system with the AR-9s’s coupled to another PL700 Series II. Or, you may insist I build a lean-to for you on the property. What if you go into home-invasion/squatter mode and won’t leave? There’s also the possibility the deer family that comes by several times a day may see you as a rival invader and attack. Last year there was a six-pointer that went into an aggressive pose towards me from 100 feet away. I was forced to back up and leave the area.

Hopefully, in the coming new year, we’ll meet.

FM

15 hours ago, AR surround said:

We are all bloody sickos, Frank.   Here's how to get (almost) all of one's speakers into one system...and throw in a model railroad to boot:

AR9 fronts; AR915 Center; AR90 Surrounds; Boston A70 Rears; Boston A60 Front and Rear Heights; Boston A40 Center Top.

1631679463_AVsystemwithAtmosAuro3D2021.thumb.jpg.38c978aa69d9d32e8eeade72956e2a18.jpg

We really need a "Like" button...!  Well done...!  But, does the train cause Doppler distortion, as it travels around the room, during a movie...?  :D 

On 11/30/2022 at 5:24 PM, AR surround said:

We are all bloody sickos, Frank.   Here's how to get (almost) all of one's speakers into one system...and throw in a model railroad to boot:

AR9 fronts; AR915 Center; AR90 Surrounds; Boston A70 Rears; Boston A60 Front and Rear Heights; Boston A40 Center Top.

1631679463_AVsystemwithAtmosAuro3D2021.thumb.jpg.38c978aa69d9d32e8eeade72956e2a18.jpg

This is an impressive setup!  High fidelity and electric trains, all rolled into one den!  Post some more pictures of this setup if you can.  Looks like an HO layout, but can't tell for sure.  I've never had an environment that came close to this room; very nice!

—Tom

On 11/29/2022 at 8:51 AM, AR surround said:

I'm still waiting Frank @frankmarsi .......

Franks 3rd pair.png

Frank, what an impressive setup!  I've never heard triple-stacked LSTs, but I can just imagine the power of that setup in that large room.  Very nice!  I had stacked LSTs at one point, used an Allison ESW to get response flat to 20 Hz, and I was extremely happy with the sound.  I actually drove the stacked pair (in parallel) with a McIntosh MC2500 right down into the 1.5-ohm load, and everything worked just fine.  Those were fun days!  Tom    

AR-LST-Stacked_003b.jpg.809a859c935ad82f3ed5de95f9b19431.jpg

On 11/28/2022 at 1:03 PM, bjmsam said:

Great story.  Thank you!

AL9nZEXvaABdEs3NmtcsqMpDzIorPUGDtp7_ZgcD

AL9nZEVgOUZvtsLPYj5Tp2FoEEkqrAv1wFGy9A2M

Wow, another extremely impressive setup!  I love that center channel, too!  I did a similar "live-end-dead-end" treatment to a listening room a few years ago, and it worked really well.  Are you using a projector screen setup?  What all are you using in this setup?  Very nice!  Tom Tyson

1 hour ago, tysontom said:

Frank, what an impressive setup!  I've never heard triple-stacked LSTs, but I can just imagine the power of that setup in that large room.  Very nice!  I had stacked LSTs at one point, used an Allison ESW to get response flat to 20 Hz, and I was extremely happy with the sound.  I actually drove the stacked pair (in parallel) with a McIntosh MC2500 right down into the 1.5-ohm load, and everything worked just fine.  Those were fun days!  Tom    

AR-LST-Stacked_003b.jpg.809a859c935ad82f3ed5de95f9b19431.jpg

https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/14790-the-development-of-the-ar9-loudspeaker/page/2/#comments

Hi Tom Tyson, just to be clear I’m not or at least haven’t set up three sets of AR-LST’s just yet.

What you are seeing is a bit of “AR-Surround’s” trickery using a foto-editing app. It was from another post months ago if you’ve missed it. Thanks for complement and the system is impressive for the eyes and certainly impressive sound quality. A culmination of time and experience with AR-3a's since 1971.

Issues like elevating myself with a LST cabinet in hands about 6 feet to be placed on top of the second speaker cabinet. Logistics such as balance while using a single ladder. I’m under 200lbs. or so, the LST is about 90 or so lbs… most home ladders don’t support more than 300 lbs. and I wouldn’t attempt working at the ladder’s limits. Fusing changing would be absolutely dangerous as the speakers are close to the front wall and need to be pivoted, and that would be a very perilous task. Otherwise I have an identical PL-700 amp ready to be pulled from my AR-9’s and give them double PL-400’s in place of the PL-700.

Other regards are that even with just four LST’s with very high amplifier power at higher volumes with suitable program material the room becomes pressurized as it is. I myself can only imagine what the rendered sound effect would be with six LST’s plying their power levels through the air backed by high wattage.  All things considered it might be too much for the room being used but, a very exciting possibility just waiting to happen.

See amateur video:  https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/10649-do-ar-speakers-really-sound-that-good-more-new-video/

FM

On 12/4/2022 at 9:44 PM, tysontom said:

Wow, another extremely impressive setup!  I love that center channel, too!  I did a similar "live-end-dead-end" treatment to a listening room a few years ago, and it worked really well.  Are you using a projector screen setup?  What all are you using in this setup?  Very nice!  Tom Tyson

Thanks! The AR9 pair is driven by an Adcom GFA-585 while the "AR9C" center speaker is equivalent to the top section of an AR9 mounted flush in the treated front wall behind a 120" acoustically transparent screen driven by the bridged channel of an Adcom GFA-2535 crossed over at 200Hz.  A Denon AVR-X4000 configured for 7.0 surround (no need for separate subs!) also feeds Definitive Technology in-ceiling sides and KSI in-ceiling rears. Though some room challenges remain to be addressed, the setup measures extremely well and sounds fantastic.

1 hour ago, frankmarsi said:

https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/14790-the-development-of-the-ar9-loudspeaker/page/2/#comments

Hi Tom Tyson, just to be clear I’m not or at least haven’t set up three sets of AR-LST’s just yet.

What you are seeing is a bit of “AR-Surround’s” trickery using a foto-editing app. It was from another post months ago if you’ve missed it. Thanks for complement and the system is impressive for the eyes and certainly impressive sound quality. A culmination of time and experience with AR-3a's since 1971.

Issues like elevating myself with a LST cabinet in hands about 6 feet to be placed on top of the second speaker cabinet. Logistics such as balance while using a single ladder. I’m under 200lbs. or so, the LST is about 90 or so lbs… most home ladders don’t support more than 300 lbs. and I wouldn’t attempt working at the ladder’s limits. Fusing changing would be absolutely dangerous as the speakers are close to the front wall and need to be pivoted, and that would be a very perilous task. Otherwise I have an identical PL-700 amp ready to be pulled from my AR-9’s and give them double PL-400’s in place of the PL-700.

Other regards are that even with just four LST’s with very high amplifier power at higher volumes with suitable program material the room becomes pressurized as it is. I myself can only imagine what the rendered sound effect would be with six LST’s plying their power levels through the air backed by high wattage.  All things considered it might be too much for the room being used but, a very exciting possibility just waiting to happen.

See amateur video:  https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/10649-do-ar-speakers-really-sound-that-good-more-new-video/

FM

Well, that fooled me!  I haven't been paying close-enough attention.  Six LSTs would be overpowering, for sure.  Tom

10 hours ago, tysontom said:

Well, that fooled me!  I haven't been paying close-enough attention.  Six LSTs would be overpowering, for sure.  Tom

I'm sorry, Tom.   I should have noted that it was a photo-shopped fantasy of what Frank could do with his third pair of LST's.   I thought everyone had been aware of the on going joke between Frank and me.

AR-Surround, no need to be sorry, that’s good clean fun. And after seeing the elaborate system you’ve set up it’s apparent you know what you’re doing. So, everything is hunky-dory, oakie-doakie?

We should all be able to absorb and learn as the directive. You and I, and I bet Tom T. have enough to be able to take it all in our stride and laugh and make light of it. I myself thank you for your response when you first posted a “Six-LST” system which made me not only laugh hardily but added encouragement to the real possibility of doing such a system.

If and when I finally do fully use my options to set up all 3 sets of AR-LST’s, which I could do this afternoon if I were so inclined, you and Tom T. will be the first to know. Maybe when we finally get together, you’ll help me lift the heavy LST’s and be the first to enjoy the experience of it all.

As this thread is about the mighty AR-9, that’ll be where my next efforts will be. The room where they reside needs to be addressed first. Then, it’s balls to the wall.

FM

P.S. Then again Tom Tyson, if you missed this post from Dec. 2021? Perhaps three LST's per-side is not so far fetched?

https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/15258-four-ar-lsts-per-side/

On 12/4/2022 at 8:43 PM, tysontom said:

Post some more pictures of this setup if you can.  Looks like an HO layout, but can't tell for sure.  I've never had an environment that came close to this room; very nice!

OK Tom, here are four pics of the train layout that surrounds the AR surround sound system.  The layout goes through four rooms around the walls of the basement. I don't want to post too many pics as this is a forum on AR speakers and not model railroading.  However...in the third pic, note the Boston Acoustics A70 loudspeaker on the back wall.  That is the right-rear-surround speaker in the 7.1.5 system.  (Actually it is 7.0.5 because there is not need for subwoofers when the five main speakers are AR9, 90 and 915.)

978729149_AlongtheNewRiver2.thumb.jpg.0b15c1c0d3965070976be2ec059ea026.jpg317459340_GauleyBridge2.thumb.jpg.e23766d44a1538adcfe5cc60268a318b.jpg936231682_TrainnearsMCStation.thumb.jpg.6b68589af55fa0d5241fa122a19bd1f4.jpg1135541499_13EngTermnightandstillBS-ing.thumb.jpg.7704708927777ecbf6e4bfed61133689.jpg