Speaker stands for LST-2

Illf8ed

I need a recommendation for speaker stands for my LST-2 speakers.  I bought some used Bell’o SP200 stands.  These are 36” high with a 7”x7” platform….not very stable.  I see Bose FS-1 that are 24” high, but not sure if they can handle the 60 lbs the LST-2 weigh.

29 minutes ago, rjr513 said:

came across these somewhere off internet and saved them to my audio folder for possible reference for LST stands

Those look similar to the stands built by @xmas111  linked at the bottom of this thread about LST stands.  The wood support posts are sandwiching  tensioned steel rods that bind the top and bottom pedestals.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ar_pro said:

Those Bose stands look great, but how easy would it be to tip one over?

With the speaker weight and making sure that the speaker itself is centered on stand they did work well and didn't feel as a tip hazzard,i used them for about 1yr untill i custom built my own ... i still have the stands and using them with  a pair of AR302

rjr513:  the message I take is you were concerned about the Bose stands and custom made new ones.   That’s my concern also.   I think the LST-2 need more than on pedestal under them.

7 minutes ago, Illf8ed said:

rjr513:  the message I take is you were concerned about the Bose stands and custom made new ones.   That’s my concern also.   I think the LST-2 need more than on pedestal under them.

They had already been sitting on those stands for 1 yr with no issues,wasn't really concerned at that point ...as much as my wife giving me grief that the stands didn't match the decor was reason i set out to custom built new stands

Got them off the floor using vinyl record boxes…13.5” high.  I just wanted to hear the AR 20004-0 (AR-48) woofers that got new butyl rubber surrounds.    I bought these as I could not find AR 20004-3 and read somewhere all the later 10” AR woofers with four screw holes will work well for the LST-2.

7F313CC1-1360-44CB-BD02-3C55E7BABF25.jpeg

On 8/2/2021 at 6:28 PM, rjr513 said:

With the speaker weight and making sure that the speaker itself is centered on stand they did work well and didn't feel as a tip hazzard,i used them for about 1yr untill i custom built my own ... i still have the stands and using them with  a pair of AR302

Good to know - the Bose stands always looked cool, but I didn't realize how stable they are.

Are these the stands you used?

tulip1.jpg.ca798155b3899db8d89015d1f04c1add.jpg

I have a very responsible 9 year old son, but I would not use these stands in my home.

It must also be said that I have the LST which are larger and above all heavier than the AR LST2!

An obvious tragedy waiting to happen. I have two of these stands and the idea was quickly dashed as it is an impossibility by all practical means to safely use under my speakers, especially odd shaped ones like the LST's.

Even if a wider wood base was fashioned to better mount the cabinet balance wise, it will never be safe or secure.

The degree of being so off-balance is simply asking for disaster, I would not be willing to take such a chance, not to mention the possible crushing of a foot or angle.

Back in early 2013 when I was moving my stuff into my new digs, I experimented with placement and the new welded steel stands I had bought months prior fit into my planning perfectly.

These seem to have been made by a private smaller welding shop in a limited number. Made of steel, they're rated to support 150lbs. each so their capacity of supporting 300lbs. doubled on each side was an extra safe bet. 

Knowing the AR-LST are 90lbs. each, I decided to use two at a time. They're 16 inches tall and with double LST's on top, they balance perfectly.

Note the AR-LST are sitting almost in the middle of the room and the quality of sound was abysmal. And even though I already knew the LST's were designed to be placed against the front wall, I did it to remind that point to myself and also to plug a few pieces in as I was very excited to have a room I knew would work well as soon I was able to put it altogether. In those early stages of system set-up/experimentation, I already had the idea set in my mind focused where items would go but moving all of it by myself took some time. By the following nite, I had moved things basically where they are today.

CIMG0122 copy 2.JPG

3-27-14work BEST BEST larger 5 copy copy 3.jpg