Kudos to 123 Stitch for their service...

lakecat

Have ordered from them for close to eight years now and never a problem. Ordered the 18 count Lambswool Linen for the pine 3a I am currently doing and finally received it today after some lag time due to their business being very busy and short of help. I get the material out and it just didn't look right. I held it up to the current 3a's I have and it had a much tighter weave but same color. It did have a tag on it saying it was the 18 count so was scratching my head...thinking maybe they have changed it in the last two years. I decided to call them to see what was up. I explained to the lady that it was much tighter weave then previous. She said it might have changed in the last two years.....then said to measure the threads as it should measure 18 threads per inch. I took out a ruler and counted over 25 threads per inch and asked her if there was a next higher count in this material. She replied that the next thread count was 28 per inch!....bingo! 

She apologized and said just keep that material and a new correct material would be sent right away,,,,😃  Thank you 123!

Cat your post got me paranoid. I bought some 18 count lambs wool from 123 Stitch last winter for a upcoming restoration. Had to put on my reading glasses to check. I have had nothing but good experiences with 123 stitch. My only issue with them is that they ship the fabric folded. I immediately put it on a roll to let it relax. I have even got the iron out a couple times.  I also source grill fabric from the Dorr Mill in New Hampshire and Q Components in Ontario. They actually ship with the fabric rolled up in a long box. 

WLjTDTk.jpg

2 hours ago, lARrybody said:

Cat your post got me paranoid. I bought some 18 count lambs wool from 123 Stitch last winter for a upcoming restoration. Had to put on my reading glasses to check. I have had nothing but good experiences with 123 stitch. My only issue with them is that they ship the fabric folded. I immediately put it on a roll to let it relax. I have even got the iron out a couple times.  I also source grill fabric from the Dorr Mill in New Hampshire and Q Components in Ontario. They actually ship with the fabric rolled up in a long box. 

WLjTDTk.jpg

Yea...it comes folded but I wet it after I install on grill and shrinks okay. Your material is 18 count so you're good to go....:)

So much for the kudos!....sigh. Just got this email from 123....no longer available...

This is Nancy from 123stitch.com. Looks like we shipped you the incorrect count fabric on order #2214327. Unfortunately we have just been notified that this fabric has been discontinued and we are no longer able to get it. The only size we have left in stock is a 13x18 so we are unable to reship this fabric to you. I'm so sorry for the mix up!

Anyone know of another source? This sucks.

I got the correct 18ct several days ago and there was a note attached from seller saying they only had one piece 18x27 left. I send her an email saying I would buy two pieces but not one....and explained I only bought one to match a vintage speaker grill to another speaker I had. Told her that this 18ct was a perfect match to these vintage speakers and a shame it is not available anymore. She wrote back....

eBay7?euid=a0901c9aa4c8410bbfdeb5943b95805c&

New message from: nimbleneedle1 (5,579Green Star)

Ok, so your on some kind of social media group... I just had to laugh because after I sold one piece then hours later another and then someone bought 4 pieces very similar just a slightly different color. All with male names.. I couldn't figure it out. Now I get it because my daughter trash picked a victrola and the speakers are this course linen with painted roses on them, I think.
I'll keep my eyes out. There is still the raw color but you would probably want to dip it in bleach or peroxide or something to lighten it up. Essentially its the color a brown paper bag. Thank you for contacting me. And the mystery is solved why this linen hardly sold in these lighter tones and then voila within days it was all gone. I went to order more and that's when I saw it wasn't available.

Soooo...the word got out here!...lol.

I got that last piece in the mail today. Might be enough to do a pair of AR7's or AR18's. Looks like its time to search around for a alternative to this 18 count lambs wool linen. Problem is that unless the material is actually in hand it is almost impossible to tell from a computer monitor what it is really like. 

12 hours ago, lARrybody said:

I got that last piece in the mail today. Might be enough to do a pair of AR7's or AR18's. Looks like its time to search around for a alternative to this 18 count lambs wool linen. Problem is that unless the material is actually in hand it is almost impossible to tell from a computer monitor what it is really like. 

I found another seller that has 12 pieces left. I got 4...and asked that it be left in one piece.

I know that Roy and others looked for awhile for a match back long ago. Shame it is being discontinued. Maybe the 28 ct will have to be the replacement. I am going to stretch this 28ct here over the grill I have to make for the 3a pine and check it out. Or as the sewing lady said...to bleach the darker 18ct they have.

Received this sample card from a linen supplier today. I think the closest ones are Y0300NT or Y7172NT, but unfortunately, I've misplaced the swatches I had of Wichelt 18ct lambswool and original AR fabric. If anyone has some bits they want to send me, PM me for my snailmail address and I can rescan this card with those samples included.

Ulster Linen.jpg

1 hour ago, mike tarelli said:

Had a look at Wichelt website. They have a "new product" in lambswool linen and it's 20 count. Probably explains the demise of 18 count. That must be close enough and available through ever reliable 123stitch.

Mike 123 Stitch does not list it yet, so three days ago I ordered it from Wichelt.com.  Problem is that it takes 10-20 days for them to process the order. I will post comparison photos when I get it.

On another note....today was my turn to do something stupid! I spent the afternoon cutting a grill from 1/4" luan plywood....cutting paint sticks to add to grill for depth so staples won't come thru....gluing the sticks....clamping to grill. Then painting grill with almond latex...

Finally get the grill material out..cut it to size....then staple the heck out of it. I spritz the material with water and use hair dryer to shrink material. Take the grill and set it speaker...perfect! Get the other grill out from other speaker to see how they look together.....and I see they don't match!.....well....cursing begins...because I grabbed the 28ct lambswool linen that 123 sent me by mistake and told me to keep it....more cursing....as I now must remove many...many staples and start again!....sigh...stupid is as stupid does!...lol

Pic shows the 28ct on grill.....with the CORRECT 18ct in bag.

20210517_182005.jpg