AR-10pi versus LST-2

Illf8ed

Hi, I’m new to this forum.  Seeking opinion between these two AR speakers.  A week ago I bought both models in not the greatest condition.  The AR-10pi drivers are all good and the cabinets are recoverable.  The LST-2 also have OK cabinets, but all the tweeters are dead and the woofers are from Radio Shack.  I intend to keep only one or the other.  Driving them with a Pioneer SX-1010.  Which set to keep?

81E36FA8-D64F-4977-8743-9A0C5BB5C88E.jpeg

Genek,

Exactly.  If I go with the LST-2 it will need the original tweeters rebuilt by Chris then find the original 10” woofers.  I tried them with some small Heil transformers I have and they sounded pretty good.

Aadams, I’m in Stockton, Ca.

I have a set of those I purchased for my AR10pi's. They are nice, the correct open pore foam, but the bevels are not the same as the originals I have on my 14's and 12's. 

HtRzvzf.jpgPtOCmae.jpg

Last summer I made two pairs of wood frame grills for one of my 11's and the other one for J Kents restoration of some 11's you can see on page two of this post.

I wish I had your tweeters for my first  generation MkI 10pi's have the later MkII black dome tweeters.

• 1 month later...

Actually I’m doing that.  The 10pi are finished and waiting for Chris to finish the tweeters so I can listen and determine if I want to put more $ into them for proper woofers.

I really like the 10 pi, but not sure I like them as much as my ESS amt1b.  

• 2 weeks later...

The six tweeters arrived at 1pm PDT rebuilt by Chris.  I’m already listening to the LST-2s at 1:30.  Santana and Simon and Garfunkel on vinyl.  Switching between the LST-2 and ESS amt 1b pyramids.  The LST-2 lack a bit on bass (cheap Radio Shack 10”). The highs are equivalent to the Heil Air Motion Transformers which is a huge compliment.  Sound stage on the LSTs is superior to the ESS.  Guess I’ll have to find some AR 20004-3 woofers and keep these.  

Yeah....thanks.  I’m sitting in my toy room listening to them now.  The bass even with the Realistic woofers isn’t too bad when I bump up the 100Hz by 4db on the Pioneer SX-1010 that’s driving these.

52397724-78E6-4353-9E45-7286B5F7F1EC.jpeg