NAD C 326BEE : enough power for AR-11?

Madar80

1 hour ago, Madar80 said:

Hello everyone,

My NAD C 326 BEE has: 50W x 2 Continuous Power into 4 Ohms and 8 Ohms ; 100W, 150W, 200W IHF Dynamic power into 8, 4 and 2 Ohms, respectively

Do you think it's enough to drive my Acoustic Research AR-11?

Thanks a lot.

Arthur

Yes.....are you planning on testing the limits?

Hi Arthur

Newandold beat me to it. Yes.

A lot has been written about 12" AR speakers liking a lot of power. Let's remember the AR amp was IIRC rated at 50wpc into 8 ohms and 60wpc into 4 ohms. High-quality amps (which the NAD are) outperformed their stated specs. Sometimes it's said they were "big" watts. Take a look at this The Absolute Sound review. It talks about how powerful your NAD sounds: https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/nad-c326bee-integrated-amplifier-and-c545bee-cd-player-tas-199

So if you're not planning on using them for a rock concert in a stadium, just enjoy the music!

Kent

If your listening room is of average size and you are not going to play at high levels (two people in listening positions should be able to carry on a conversation without having to raise their voices), you should be ok. If the room is larger and/or you want to play at higher levels, you need more power.

1 minute ago, genek said:

If your listening room is of average size and you are not going to play at high levels (two people in listening positions should be able to carry on a conversation without having to raise their voices), you should be ok. If the room is larger and/or you want to play at higher levels, you need more power.

Thank you for your advice, genek! My living room is not so big, 185 square feet.

I have a pair of 10Pi that are similar to the AR11 and use them on a 60wpc tube amp. Its totally adequate. I do have a 500wpc SS amp that I sometimes play my AR91 with and its gets too loud at about 2/3 volume. Now that I think of it I've never hooked up the 10Pi to the SS amp....................maybe something to try tomorrow.

Just to further reinforce what others have said, I have a pair of AR-11's in a small home theater room (converted bedroom) that is 168 square feet.  When I just listen at normal levels in stereo, which is most of the time, the meters on my McIntosh MC206 amp typically read between .2wpc & 2wpc.  Even at sound levels where music peaks border on uncomfortable, the meters just barely reach 20wpc.  Your room is only slightly larger, so I can't see that your NAD amp should have any problem.