What version do I have?

jomede

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had the renowned Roy C refoam my AR3a woofers this weekend. They turned out amazing. He is definitely an artist when it comes to speaker rebuilding. Spend the money and have him do your speaker work. You will have a piece of mind knowing they are in good hands with Roy C.

IMG_20200315_100632.jpg

IMG_20200315_100605.jpg

IMG_20200315_100622.jpg

Not sure we came to a conclusion. He stated that AR was doing some weird stuff near the end companies demise. Limited, Asian and replicas as for a few other versions. The tweeter was what he was most Interested in. He examined them under a magnifying glass to see it's material and how the dome was attached. I will let him go into the details as he is a book of knowledge on this subject matter.

• 1 month later...

Found this on a Japanese web site seems to have the same labels and tested by sticker. The same ew code before the serial number are they rare 1 set of 200 made for the Japanese market in the UK?.....https://www.hifido.co.jp/sold/18-15694-12914-00.html.

Yes....I really want them to go a good home, to someone who appreciates them for what they are and will get years of enjoyment out of them. If I had room and a dedicated 2 channel listening room I would keep them. Hopefully a real collector and purist will see them and want to add them to his/her collection. I hook them up to my Kenwood KA-701 80 wpc and listen to them on the weekends in my garage they sound really good.

The $4,600 selling price of the Japanese pair that you reference in your Facebook ad is incorrect - they actually sold for 148,000 yen, which is not quite $1,400.

The restored, more-common version of the AR-3a shown right below it sold for over $1,600.

ar-3a.jpg

It seems much longer than it actually has been since I spent a very pleasant Florida afternoon with John listening to music, examining his rare AR specimens, and re-foaming woofers.

The Asian listing John referenced https://www.hifido.co.jp/sold/18-15694-12914-00.html confirms his speakers are from the "AR-3a Limited" series. It was reported by Minh Luong that over 500 AR-3a Limiteds were manufactured for the Asian market in 1989 "some with real walnut and golden oak veneer" (see JKent's post in the first page of this thread). Tags on the speakers in the listing say the pair (serial numbers EW1141 and EW1142) were part of a series of 200 "Produced Exclusively for Japan". John's appear to be identical to those in the listing, but his "EW" serial numbers are nearly 500 digits higher, suggesting there were more than 200 of this version manufactured. Based on the tags, they were all manufactured in England in 1989. Forum member fedeleluigi (Luigi) said he observed this version of the 3a Limited being assembled in Italy in 1991, so there is no way to know how many were actually manufactured.

I believe the 3a Limited's Tonegen tweeter originally had a cloth dome and was retrofitted at the (Tonegen?) factory with a paper dome identical to the dome used in the original 3a. In fact, the original cloth dome's glue ring can still be seen around the dome. The replacement paper dome's rubbery suspension material appears to have been applied by hand. The tweeter is otherwise identical to Tonegen "AR-3a replacement tweeters" I purchased from AB Tech in the early 90's, but they had cloth domes, much like the AR-11 tweeter.

The crossover board in John's speakers is identical to the other 3a Limited boards I have seen, including a "Buyout" pair of crossovers I purchased from Parts Express in the mid 90's. The broken terminals can only be replaced by removing the circuit board, which includes drilling out all the terminals (held in place on the underside of the board), disconnecting the off-board inductors, and breaking the glue bonds holding the circuit board spacers to the back panel. It would have been much more work than we could accomplish that afternoon.

Roy