AR TSW 910 Tweeters-Substitute?

Jenglemn

I did a quick google search and found some discussion on these pages from a few years back. Apparently the 910 tweeters were made by MB Quart and the member sent his fried AR tweets to MBQ in Germany for repair.

Unfortunately, further reading revealed that MBQ is no more. It was bought by Maxxsonics in Chicago and it looks like they only make car & boat stuff.

I found this company: https://www.german-maestro.de/Englisch/Company/  On their website they write; "our factory here in Obrigheim, Germany continues a long tradition in loudspeaker manufacturing which dates back several decades and has started with the production of the brand MB-Quart."  I wonder if they could help?

It's my understanding the originals were 1" metal dome tweeters. Wonder if a new 1" metal dome would work?

They're not correct, but maybe try out these "lesser" TSW tweets? https://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-Acoustic-Research-TSW-410-Tweeter-210-310-510-610-Speakers-Pair/283373611889?hash=item41fa622b71:g:FowAAOSwHQxcYFXO:sc:USPSPriority!07422!US!-1:rk:3:pf:0

(just so the speakers will at least work. They're awfully expensive doorstops). Oh--and install some fuses.

I bring you exhibit  'A' a post by a "owls place" AKA roger the snake man, or was that 'man-snake'?

It doesn't matter see here his post:

Of particular interest is "SteveF's" post. Informative as always, it's all I have to go-on.

Looking at the complement of drivers here which includes two 12 inchers per-side, I pose the guestion.

What if this model is actually the best of all AR speakers made that happened to get lost in the shuffle of the late 1980's?

I mean after the 1960's and 1970's, didn't a lot of us get somewhat lost by the late 1980's, or at least slightly singed around the edges?

Could have these speakers been rejected by the usual snobbery of lovers of the 'classic' original line of AR's?

In any event, now that the dust has been kicked up again, I will keep an eye open and if I see these for a cheap price I may consider them.

See here as they do seem too have notable qualities. https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2011/01/acoustic-research-tsw-910-1987.html

FM

Dirt cheap option if you can make an adapter plate, chosen only because it is an 

8 ohm metal dome.  I've never seen measurements of this on so who knows if it is any good:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dc25t-8-1-titanium-dome-tweeter--275-045

Ideally, you'd want to match the impedance as close as you can, Fc, and passband flatness/shape.

7 hours ago, Jenglemn said:

I have a fully restored set of AR TSW-910's and the tweeters finally blew.  Does anyone have a good suggestion for a replacement for them?

Fully restored inside and out?  New capacitors too?  If so, it's a little odd that both tweeters would simultaneously fail.  Maybe you need to test the driving amp too.  Maybe it's exhibiting high DC offset?

15 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Maybe it's exhibiting high DC offset?

Tweeters are protected by the capacitor as a non-polar cap will not pass DC. It holds/blocks it. Woofers are more likely to be damaged by DC current as they have no cap in series.

It would be nice to see a pic or tell us what cap was used. It could shed some light.

In the meantime has the OP taken a resistance measurement of the voice coil ?

One of the tweeters was a single magnet replacement by AB from 2002.  The other one was a double magnet replacement from AR original 1990's.  I just hooked them up to a Sunfire Grand Cinema Signature Architect (newly purchased) and loaded Van Halen up to almost full level.  That is how I blew them.

• 7 months later...

I just inherited a pair of AR TSW-910's. The foam surrounds are done for. I found a few replacement surrounds to fix them but I want to know if anyone could recommend "better" surrounds and if anyone has had any luck with replacement speakers. Particularly the woofers. And Jenglemn did those tweeters workout? I have the originals but I'm sure one of them is dead but I'm not sure about replacing them with anything else. 

• 2 years later...