Meeting forum members....audiofest near Cincy

lakecat

It was nice to meet Larry at the audiofest Saturday. I ended up trading a nice Nikki NR-1019 receiver for a great pair of AR 2ax's and a pair of 2x's. Cabinets are clean and corners good....labels intact on back...pots turn...so they were not abused. The 2x's still have grill glued on so all original.

Lots of good audio were floating around. Guy came up to Larry and I and heard us talking about AR's. He said he wasn't sure what he had but they have the woofers on the side and are big....and mint!...lol. Well....he got our full attention!

But he lived seven hours away....so the fever left me. But....I bet Larry is still dreaming about those!...:)

• genek changed the title to Meeting forum members....audiofest near Cincy
  • 3 months later...
On 7/16/2017 at 10:30 AM, lakecat said:

But he lived seven hours away....so the fever left me. But....I bet Larry is still dreaming about those!...:)

Just wanted to bring lakecat up to speed on those big AR's our friend was talking about at the midwest audiofest last July. I sent him a text and a picture of some AR9's a few days after the event asking "Is this what they look like?" He replied " Yes that is them"  I ask him to send me some pictures because I am definitely interested. After going back and forth for a couple weeks I never got the pictures.  I decided that I might be beating a dead horse, so I stopped dreaming about them.

Fast forward to about a week ago and I here from him asking if I was still interested in them.  I replied YES, just send me some cell phone pictures. Two days later I got some short videos of them and I immediately made a deal. This morning I made the 7 1/2 hour round trip and got them.  Here they are back in my garage waiting for my buddy to help me haul them inside.

q1ZGyMK.jpg

They had been in his (finished) basement for over 20 years without use. The surround foam didn't survive the car ride back wrapped in blankets. They are way nicer than I imagined. Not a gouge or scratch on the veneer. I believe they have all original parts. The midrange foam inserts are missing, but the high range ones are there. All six grill covers are perfect. Not one rip, stain or snag. One little bugger on the back of speaker that can be touched up with black paint. 

nXlaza7.jpg

PYKnWM7.jpg

AL9wmIH.jpg

fSsBdpC.jpg

They may not be holy grail NOS AR9's, but for 1/5 the price I am very happy to take on this project. I guess good things do come to those that wait. And I always thought that if you snoose you loose. Not true all the time.

Nice find!  Congratulations.  Now, to rain on the parade, just a little.  The tweeters look 'odd' on your new AR9's.  While they may well be stock, and if so, maybe your's are a very early pair, but my AR90's don't have the front wired leads on the tweeters.  Mine look like this one, (from the web).

2_ACOUSTIC_RESEARCH_200029_1_TWEETER_DRI

Now, I'd definitely try 'em out.  They probably sound fine.  I just don't know enough about earlier AR tweeters, before the Vertical Series, to know for sure?

Have fun, and enjoy!  And again, congratulations!  :D

Wow Larry!...nice patience..lol. I wondered if he was blowing smoke or not so glad he was real about his speakers. Those look in really nice shape and untouched. Hope you have a thread on you working on them to bring them up to spec. He was asking a good price at the fest so looks like you got him down on that too. Congrats!

Did you by any chance see the Polk SDA SRS 1.2's he said he had also? That is how I met him when I telling someone beside me about hearing those badazz speakers at friends' house...and he stepped forward and said he had a pair. By sheer luck; one month later; I found a pair of those Polks in a vintage audio store nearby where I live. They were mint and had their boxes....so they now sit in my great room....:)

3 minutes ago, lakecat said:

Did you by any chance see the Polk SDA SRS 1.2's he said he had also?

He still has them and the cable too.  They are even bigger than the 9's. He wants to sell them. If you know of anybody interested I can supply contact information. I like them, but I am out of room. Iam a AR man anyway. AR's will get you through times without money better than money will get you through times of no AR's.

12 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Nice find!  Congratulations.  Now, to rain on the parade, just a little.  The tweeters look 'odd' on your new AR9's

10 hours ago, ar_pro said:

The tweeters appear to be the older 1200011-1 model from the later version of the AR-11

You guys are both right. I would of caught it eventually.  I have a pair of 200029-1 tweeters I got from one of the local larrybody want to be's that was parting out a pair of AR 91 with no grills and water damaged cabinets. The woofers were already gone, but I got the tweets and the mids.  All four drivers ohmed out at 4.3.  I have a  AR11b project coming up and I was going to Use HiVi Qr1's, but now I can use these 1200011-1's.

hx9Dffam.jpgShrx3d9m.jpg

How do you like me now?

vxcxeyFm.jpgj4lVFoym.jpg

Now I need to get busy and re-foam the woofers. I wonder if I can use some filled fillet 8 in surrounds on the lower mids?

Sweet...!  It was the smaller silver ring that was missing!  Now they're gorgeous.  Or maybe I should say handsome.  It just depends on how you see them?  :)

As to foam, I believe the " filled fillet " foam, (" filled fillet " foam , " filled fillet " foam , " filled fillet " foam  - Whew) is fine.  I think there's an 8" Boston foam that works.  And you must be a true AR Man.  You bought a pair of AR9's to fix a pair of AR11b's.  That works!  :D

8 hours ago, larrybody said:

He still has them and the cable too.  They are even bigger than the 9's. He wants to sell them. If you know of anybody interested I can supply contact information. I like them, but I am out of room. Iam a AR man anyway. AR's will get you through times without money better than money will get you through times of no AR's.

Hi Larry....yea....if you could PM me his info, I would appreciate it. I do know someone that would be interested. Thanks.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:33 PM, larrybody said:

Just wanted to bring lakecat up to speed on those big AR's our friend was talking about at the midwest audiofest last July. I sent him a text and a picture of some AR9's a few days after the event asking "Is this what they look like?" He replied " Yes that is them"  I ask him to send me some pictures because I am definitely interested. After going back and forth for a couple weeks I never got the pictures.  I decided that I might be beating a dead horse, so I stopped dreaming about them.

Fast forward to about a week ago and I here from him asking if I was still interested in them.  I replied YES, just send me some cell phone pictures. Two days later I got some short videos of them and I immediately made a deal. This morning I made the 7 1/2 hour round trip and got them.  Here they are back in my garage waiting for my buddy to help me haul them inside.

q1ZGyMK.jpg

They had been in his (finished) basement for over 20 years without use. The surround foam didn't survive the car ride back wrapped in blankets. They are way nicer than I imagined. Not a gouge or scratch on the veneer. I believe they have all original parts. The midrange foam inserts are missing, but the high range ones are there. All six grill covers are perfect. Not one rip, stain or snag. One little bugger on the back of speaker that can be touched up with black paint. 

nXlaza7.jpg

PYKnWM7.jpg

AL9wmIH.jpg

fSsBdpC.jpg

They may not be holy grail NOS AR9's, but for 1/5 the price I am very happy to take on this project. I guess good things do come to those that wait. And I always thought that if you snoose you loose. Not true all the time.

those look pretty darn good to me!   Hard to find much better than what you got there.  

Congrads!

I recapped mine, and they sound Excellent.  Recapping made a substantial improvement.

I still can't believe you got those. Did he say why they sat for so long? And to have the Polks too...crazy. I gave my buddy his number. I think I remember him saying he also had a Marantz 2600. Did he still have that?

Here is the Polks I got locally....the 9' s wouldn't work in my room with the side firing woofers.

FB_IMG_1501887295428.jpg

Lakecat,

Your Polks look awesome.  Very nice.  If interested, you should head over to the Polk Audio Forums.  Enthusiastic guys over there.  Especially in the Mods section.  Some epic rebuild threads in there.  Crossover rebuilds too, that looked like they cost hundreds, if not thousands to do.

Enjoy.

I replaced (for my son's system) a pair of Klipsch Heresy's with Polk RTA-12C. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. Sounded OK at low volume but it all fell apart with volume increase. I was so lucky to score the TSW610.

Are you selling those AR9's?

Did not see or hear anything about a Marantz 2600. Your Polk’s are awesome. About placement of the nines. Against the wall and three feet from the adjacent walls. My room will work, but I have to get rid of sofa and loveseat. Replace with new stuff AR9 friendly. 

10 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Lakecat,

Your Polks look awesome.  Very nice.  If interested, you should head over to the Polk Audio Forums.  Enthusiastic guys over there.  Especially in the Mods section.  Some epic rebuild threads in there.  Crossover rebuilds too, that looked like they cost hundreds, if not thousands to do.

Enjoy.

Hi Stimpy....and thanks....:) I was over at the Polk forum when I first got them....and I gots to say....they are over the top for me. I may eventually do the crossovers but spending hundreds of dollars on improving something that I think sounds fine is not for me. Maybe down the road.....

Archived