Chinese Rheostats

Finjima

I have not see these before nor mentioned here as a option for replacement pots. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25W-15-OHM-Wirewound-Rheostat-Potentiometer-25-WATTS-/262880483677?hash=item3d34e5d95d:g:iW0AAOSwI-BWKRAH

seller has them in different wattages 25/50/100/200 but I only seen the 25 watt and the 200 watt (was wondering about the 50 watter too) listed at this time  same price as the L-pads and no need to mod the cross over.  

*note to those who are about keeping original, do not panic! 90% of the time it is only important to keep it original at a time of sale. the rest of the time its the pursue of sound. unless it isn't and this prevents you from sleeping at night knowing you have something that's not original in your whole house. in that case try to be polite here. there are noob's present

** I would rather have a set of original AR stats in very good condition, that do not degrade the sound and performance of the speaker

There may come a time soon when these pots become a valid option in the repair of my AR-3's I would like to hear from a number of people, including those willing to give these try also

You can buy 4 of those (delivered) for less than the current price of one similar Ohmite rheostats of which the Chinese rheostats appear to be a copy. Will someone step up and buy a couple who has a DMM to check them out? Of course, consistent quality will always be in question. It's good to know though, the Ohmite's are made in Mexico.

I would like to see the comparison between these and the Ohmite's. As far as the 25 watt 15 ohm rheostats, it looks like there are only one available. How different would the 25 watt 20 ohm versions be when used in the same application? There appears to be many of those available. 

On 4/6/2017 at 9:29 AM, larrybody said:

I would like to see the comparison between these and the Ohmite's. As far as the 25 watt 15 ohm rheostats, it looks like there are only one available. How different would the 25 watt 20 ohm versions be when used in the same application? There appears to be many of those available. 

Here's another option. Search ebay for "Set 2x PPB-15G 15 Ohms 15 Watt Ceramic Wire Wound Potentiometer". I bought a set and will report back on them when they arrive. Looks like the shafts are very long but cutting them down should be no problem.

They're Russian pots from a Bulgarian seller. Not 25w like the Ohmite or Chinese pots, but as Roy pointed out to me, the L-pads many of us use are "only" 15w and there have been no problems with them.

-Kent

7 hours ago, JKent said:

They're Russian pots from a Bulgarian seller

Those look pretty nice and robust - - - and hopefully will work well after you test with some measurements. For trimming the shafts, try to find John's (xmas111) posts about using very similar eastern Euro pots in one of his AR rehab projects. The biggest challenge I can see is whether the diameter of these will be small enough to fit side-by-side within the existing spacing of vintage AR's that accept two pots.

Bought eight of these last year for around $30.00 apiece. Used four in some AR3a's. I am now down to four. Currently these are going for $45.00 to $50.00 each. They are getting way too expensive.

IfLrvNK.jpg

Those Bulgarian pots do look impressive and are a even better deal, way better build quality just by pics alone.(compared to the Chinese ones)  I'm not getting the high price for the omites, these mil spec or something? 

I bought four of the rheostats from Bulgaria on eBay (Russian MIL Spec apparently) and used them in my recent restoration of my AR2ax speakers. As noted by others they are open and do need to be covered ( I stapled cloth over the crossovers before re-installing the insulation fiberglass). The shafts are a little longer than the original rheostats by about 1/4" but this is a small penalty considering their low price and the fact that they work quite well.

On 4/9/2017 at 1:25 PM, JKent said:

Search ebay for "Set 2x PPB-15G 15 Ohms 15 Watt Ceramic Wire Wound Potentiometer". . . . They're Russian pots from a Bulgarian seller. Not 25w like the Ohmite or Chinese pots, but as Roy pointed out to me, the L-pads many of us use are "only" 15w and there have been no problems with them.

They came today. 12 days from Bulgaria--not bad. They're just a tad bigger than the A-P pots, smaller than L-pads, so no problem there. Shafts appear to be steel and will have to be cut. I paid $19 including shipping for 2 pair (4 pots) but it looks like the price has gone up a bit. Still not bad IMHO

Russian pots 1.jpg

Russian pots 3.jpg

Russian pots 2.jpg

2 hours ago, lakecat said:

will the AR knob fit on that shaft?

Yes. The shaft is 6mm, or just a tad under 1/4".  btw--I have knobs listed in FS.

btw, SpeakerWorks has the L-pads on sale for $3 each. Also check out their other crossover parts for some good prices.

Archived