What AR speakers are these?

Volumex

Hi,

I have AR speakers I just cannot find any info on them. Its a massive riddle and requires more than Google. The model No: AR SPX MBK, they have a carbon woofer and rear port, Book shelfs 195W, they black with a black laquer centre finish. I cannot trace any info even from the new part guys. Help please?

Hi I don't remember any of the classic AR speakers that were made in Massachusetts having a port because there design concepts was acoustic suspension or a sealed cabinet. It sounds to me something made after they moved to California when they were bought out

• 2 weeks later...

I dont have them in my hands yet, but cannot find any info on them, as soon as I have them i'll post a picture, but so strange that after days and days of searching far and wide, nothing, I own phantom AR;s... Thanks so much for the above posts guys. These have to be rare, even the grill on the bottom is curved, which is odd for the square design AR have always run with.

• 2 months later...

A belated welcome.

A picture of the label on the back would help. What is the name of the manufacturer and where were they made?

The Acoustic Research name has been sold a couple of times, so your speakers bear no relationship to the "classic" AR speakers discussed in these pages. They may be good speakers. I have an "AR" wireless speaker that I like a lot. But it's just not a speaker that guys here know about.

It IS odd that there is nothing about these on the interweb. The photo is fuzzy but it looks like the current AR logo. Maybe their customer support can help:  http://www.acoustic-research.com/care/?p=contactus

-Kent

10 hours ago, larrybody said:

Just went to the current Acoustic Research site and read the about us page. Very amusing  broken translation. Especially the mention of  Edgar Birucha and Henry Cross. Got to love it.

http://www.acousticresearch-hifi.com/about/

That is painful ...

I think these are from the post-recoton/audiovox days....the Hi Res series are about the last models I'm aware of before the bankruptcy/name being sold to audiovox...

Archived