Some of my restorations links

GD70

Hi All,

New here, but love vintage AR's, KLH's, ADS and many more! I look forward to getting to know you seasoned gents here, and hooking up with AK members here as well. I spend a lot of time on Audiokarma, and have documented my resto projects there. Roy C. has been instrumental in many of my AR projects with his amazing knowledge and generous time and guidance and parts needed. I figure instead of re-writing, & re-pasting the pics here, I'd post links if you're interested. On the list are 1960 AR-3's from S.A. for 19.99, LST-2's from a CL listing, 1963 KLH Six's rescued from the trash from the original owner, KLH Twenty Threes-S.A 19.99. So here we go, and look forward to your comments and observations, as well as any advice I can use down the road.

Cheers!

Glenn

AR-3's

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ar-3s-sa-score-maybe-the-best-end-of-year-score-pics.564520/

LST-2's

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ar-lst-2-any-good.528995/#post-6899974

KLH Six's

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/just-picked-up-a-free-pair-of-klh-6s-from-original-1963-owner-pics.520806/

KLH Twenty Threes

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/klh-twenty-three-restoration-pics.649507/

Welcome Glenn.

I've read many of your posts on AK.

You have a unique ability to transform some of the abused vintage speakers back to life.

I especially liked the pictures of the veneer repair in the KLH23 thread.

Thanks for the links.

Good, now I don't have to go look for them at AK when in need of one for reference on something I am doing.

So damn cold here for the last few weeks I have not ben able to do any fun woodwork, gluing etc on any of my projects. Need a heater in my garage so I can keep up with Glenn!

Good, now I don't have to go look for them at AK when in need of one for reference on something I am doing.

So damn cold here for the last few weeks I have not ben able to do any fun woodwork, gluing etc on any of my projects. Need a heater in my garage so I can keep up with Glenn!

Yes. The benefits of having a cave ( read basement) to work in!

Cheers!

Hey, I've meaning to ask you along the way here, where have you sourced your walnut veneer? I should try to track some down.

Hey David,

I've been using old veneer removed from previous restorations, and also got some from other members who also stripped their cabs.

So far I've only used new veneer in one patch on the Twenty Threes.

Glenn

I never would have even thought something like a crushed corner could be repaired until I saw you do it. P.S, your man cave must be dry?? My basement would fill up like a pond if I didnt have one of those perimeter drains with a sump pump.

Hey, what do you think of the ADS 910. How does it compare to all the other oldies you have had? I have the option to trade a marantz for a pair and was wondering if they are amazing or not much of an improvement from something like the ADS L880 or AR-3a.

I never would have even thought something like a crushed corner could be repaired until I saw you do it. P.S, your man cave must be dry?? My basement would fill up like a pond if I didnt have one of those perimeter drains with a sump pump.

Hey, what do you think of the ADS 910. How does it compare to all the other oldies you have had? I have the option to trade a marantz for a pair and was wondering if they are amazing or not much of an improvement from something like the ADS L880 or AR-3a.

Hey bassment!

luckily my basement is dry! I got a lot of gear there.

I would grab the 910's. They are rare and collectible! Do they have the stands? Early ones have veneer on the backs, later are black.

They will put the AR-3's to shame when asked. The sound is so big from these it's amazing.

Glenn

Rats, the deal feel through. I thought he was going to be able to drive them here to Albany from VT but he won't. (Even though I was trading him $900 worth of stuff for his $600 L910s.

No stands..

Early version with the smaller dust cap that shows glue.

how many versions were there? Is one better than the other?

I am sort of chasing the wrong dream anyways.. I am really after a pair of 1590s...

Rats, the deal feel through. I thought he was going to be able to drive them here to Albany from VT but he won't. (Even though I was trading him $900 worth of stuff for his $600 L910s.

No stands..

Early version with the smaller dust cap that shows glue.

how many versions were there? Is one better than the other?

I am sort of chasing the wrong dream anyways.. I am really after a pair of 1590s...

Ahh, to bad. Can't meet 1/2 way?

I know of the two versions, but there may have been more. I'm new to the ADS world.

Yeah, Glenn has a done a great job showing cabinet restoration on several different threads over at AK and many of us delight in taking advantage of it as reference. I have not taken the plunge yet on patching veneer, but when I do I know I can look in on what he did. Only to find suitable old walnut veneer.....

Yeah, Glenn has a done a great job showing cabinet restoration on several different threads over at AK and many of us delight in taking advantage of it as reference. I have not taken the plunge yet on patching veneer, but when I do I know I can look in on what he did. Only to find suitable old walnut veneer.....

Hey David,

I often see beat up speakers at S.A.'s and thrifts that are good for veneer harvesting.

Post a WTB thread for veneer that guys have removed for their restoration projects. I got some that way.

Glenn

Some nice work there... haven't been able to wade through all of it... the KLH veneer job was very impressive.

Maybe a Reader's Digest condensed version is in order here.

Roger

Thanks owlsplace!

They were fun projects. The LST project was especially rewarding.

I thought of re-posting the projects here, but it seemed like a lot of copy & pasting back & forth.

Glenn

Hey David,

I often see beat up speakers at S.A.'s and thrifts that are good for veneer harvesting.

Post a WTB thread for veneer that guys have removed for their restoration projects. I got some that way.

Glenn

I have a couple Dynaco A25 cabinets I can harvest from. Need to know how I guess.

I have a couple Dynaco A25 cabinets I can harvest from. Need to know how I guess.

Use a iron to soften the veneer glue, and use a I inch wide metal putty knife, and slowly wedge it between the veneer and cab. Some pieces come off decent sizes, others small. Keep it all, the smaller pieces are great for the small corner chips etc...

Archived