Thoughts on Amps for 3's

DavidDru

Does it bridge the amps in stereo mode? If so, leave it in 4-channel mode and just use two channels.

I have seen a 2270 drive four JBL Century 100s to chest pounding levels with no problem -- a rather memorable experience from 1970's Germany.

Roger

Was it a 2270 or a 4270?

The 2270 supports 4-Ohm and 8-Ohm, the 4270 only when in 4-way.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either way, those ES model Sony's are supposed to be great. There has been a F606ES Integrated amp on CList here for months at $125 which has been very tempting. It's big brother 808 goes for $900 all the time.

It was a 2270 although my friend also owned a 4270 at the time.

I thought the amp section between a 2270 and 4270 was the same....

Caution: When using the 4270 in the 70 W x 2 mode, do not use 4 Ohm speakers – use 8 Ohms or higher.

Hence the Sony ^_^ (and I just want it -_- )

Can't argue with that! Enjoy ...

It looks like the 4270 amps are bridged in 2-channel mode by the rear panel switch -- hence the caution against low impedance, high-current loads. If you didn't throw the bridging switch I think it would handle them just fine with 70w/channel.

Roger

A few years back I had Vinyl Nirvana refurbish a Thorens TD-160 turntable with a Linn Basik / Shure V15 Type IV setup. After finding the AR-2ax speakers I went somewhat mad with about 6 months of research that ended with a Sansui AU-555a / TU-666 combo. I was not happy with the lack of wpc so after a few months more I finally settled on the Adcom GFA-555 Power Amplifier with the Sansui AU-555a set as preamp. The TU-666 is mostly just for looks with this setup.

I really liked my creation but I will most likely be on the market for a dedicated preamp to use with the Adcom GFA-555 and look for a more fitting set of speakers to use with the Sansui AU-555a / TU-666. Roads go ever ever on...

A few years back I had Vinyl Nirvana refurbish a Thorens TD-160 turntable with a Linn Basik / Shure V15 Type IV setup. After finding the AR-2ax speakers I went somewhat mad with about 6 months of research that ended with a Sansui AU-555a / TU-666 combo. I was not happy with the lack of wpc so after a few months more I finally settled on the Adcom GFA-555 Power Amplifier with the Sansui AU-555a set as preamp. The TU-666 is mostly just for looks with this setup.

I really liked my creation but I will most likely be on the market for a dedicated preamp to use with the Adcom GFA-555 and look for a more fitting set of speakers to use with the Sansui AU-555a / TU-666. Roads go ever ever on...

I bought a Thorens back in the 70's in Wiesbaden, Germany and put a Shure V15 type III on it but left it behind on my westward migration. I am currently using an Adcom GFA-555 II that Kent talked me into buying which I have some reservations about but I'm getting used to it. I have some 70's era SAE and Fischer gear waiting some rebuild time -- perhaps next year after I finish my AR speaker wall :) So little time, so much music ,,, obsessing over gear detracts from the overall experience... for me anyway.

The Sansui is definitely an unusual item and I'm sure it would be happy driving one of the smaller AR bookshelf models. Enjoy ...

Roger

So many options.......

• Some people like the old Dynaco PAS-3 tube preamp.
  • Speaking of Dynaco, updatemydynaco.com has added a preamp to their kit offerings: http://www.akitika.com/PR101.html The phono section is an extra cost item and I have no experience with the preamp BUT I can attest to the excellence of Dan Joffe's other kits and his responsiveness to questions.
  • In my own vintage setup I use a DB Systems DB-1A with the Adcom 555/II. DB is a small company in New Hampshire. The DB-1 came out about 1980 and they sometimes (but rarely) come up on the used market. I had 4 at one time and had all of them checked out by the designer, David Hadaway, before selling 3. I also use an AR-SRC (Ken Kantor's baby) to add remote control convenience.

Of course there are MANY choices when it comes to preamps. The quality of the phono section is a major consideration. Apt Holman is a standout in this area, as is the DB-1.

I think you'll want to decide on tube or solid state, what features you want/need, the visual aesthetics and of course your budget.

A daunting task, but fun!

Keep us posted.

-Kent

PS: Check out this thread on preamps http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=8207

I could use one :)

I don't think there is any equivalent being made now.

One sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago for 199. There's one there now for 179.

I have a spare so if you want to PM me with an offer.....

Kent

Picked up the Sony yesterday.

Turned out it comes from its first owner; complete with original box etc.

Looks like new, no marks, nothing!

Hooked it up to the 4270 and the Rogers Studio 1 and the difference is clear: much brighter and clearer sound.

Now all we have to do is wait on the AR3a's ^_^

Well, happened by the thrift today and there was a Kenwood KA-94 sitting there that looked to be in pretty decent shape. For $10 I didn't have much to lose regardless of how it turns out :)

Some specs here: http://www.nrpavs.co.nz/archive_1_15/Sold_1_15_htm/KenwoodKA-94.htm

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

I am sure that all of the Adcom 555? users understand this but I just found that the Adcom does not have a speaker protection relay/circuit. Do you all accept that or have you decided on a course of action? I can't help think of safety for all AR speakers...

I am sure that all of the Adcom 555? users understand this but I just found that the Adcom does not have a speaker protection relay/circuit. Do you all accept that or have you decided on a course of action? I can't help think of safety for all AR speakers...

Go back to page 6. Thats where that aspects starts to get talked about and references made..

Hi all.

As a starter I will use monoblocked Quad 303's. 90W each and I seldom play loud nowdays. I find them very lovely - almost cute as my wife would describe them :). But you folks have got me to druel over CA-3000's and BA-5000's with tuners as TU9900... ADCOM's and heavy Marantz not to mention Phase Linears of the -70'ies...

No and no - I start with my small 303's :)

Regards

There's no remote device available with all the SRC's functions, but if all you need is volume and mute there's this:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-CUSTOM-AUDIO-50-8394-/50-8394

No specs available for sound quality, so it's a $30 roll of the dice.

That looks pretty cool. There is also a very elegant looking volume control on ebay called the Audiocubics R-Cube but it's more than 10 times the price of the one from MCM.

Anyone who really wants an SRC , please send me a PM (not you RW--yours is set aside).

-Kent

Hi all.

As a starter I will use monoblocked Quad 303's. 90W each and I seldom play loud nowdays. I find them very lovely - almost cute as my wife would describe them :). But you folks have got me to druel over CA-3000's and BA-5000's with tuners as TU9900... ADCOM's and heavy Marantz not to mention Phase Linears of the -70'ies...

No and no - I start with my small 303's :)

Regards

Welcome, your mention of Quads sent me down an interesting road. I haven't read any of the audiophile rags since the 70's so I'm not up to speed on alot of what is out there and I tend to be a bottom-feeder these days but enjoy ogling over a nice Krell, etc.

De Paravicini: Well, my viewpoint is that tubes and transistors should sound alike.

Not when you are buying vintage though :)

Here is the link for that quote: http://www.stereophile.com/content/tim-de-paravicini-page-3

Roger

I happen to have very early pair of EAR509 mono block´s mentioned here. They are made most likely in 1977 as they do have early model bias scheme marked on PCB. They do carry Tim De Paravicini service marks not too long ago. Recapping was not done too well. I did it again to be sure.

They are one longest running amplifier model. They are produced still after almost 40 years.

Best Regards

Kimmo

Archived