Thoughts on Amps for 3's

DavidDru

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erse has a protection circuit option too it seems with a nice diagram. Is this in line with what is being discussed?

http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/ProtectionDevices

I was looking at those. If there is enough interest we should start a new thread on this topic and evaluate all the possibilities, fuses, relays, polyswitches, filament, and the pros and cons of each.

Roger

I was looking at those. If there is enough interest we should start a new thread on this topic and evaluate all the possibilities, fuses, relays, polyswitches, filament, and the pros and cons of each.

Roger

I'm all in for that!

I'm still looking at all the options but the modern fuse-holders hold me off for now.

I'm all in for that!

I'm still looking at all the options but the modern fuse-holders hold me off for now.

Yeah, here is a sob story from a few years back detailing the loss of an AR-11 woofer. The poor man bought the set for $9 and got to listen to them for a year before his amp fried one of the woofers.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=7051

I was actually looking for a reference to what happens if a speaker is plugged in to an AC outlet but did not find it.

Need to put my fuses on before putting the AR's back online :)

Roger

Yeah, here is a sob story from a few years back detailing the loss of an AR-11 woofer. The poor man bought the set for $9 and got to listen to them for a year before his amp fried one of the woofers.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=7051

I was actually looking for a reference to what happens if a speaker is plugged in to an AC outlet but did not find it.

Need to put my fuses on before putting the AR's back online :)

Roger

So what amp are you rocking now? I'm confused as to where we are at in that regard.

So what amp are you rocking now? I'm confused as to where we are at in that regard.

Well, its me and Kent on the Adcom 555II, at least until I can get back with my SAE and/or mod the Adcom. I definitely prefer a warmer sounding amp.

I did find the reference to firing up speakers on 120vAC in some of the AR literature. Definitely not a good idea to use line plugs on speaker wires :)

post-173498-0-81312500-1426903076_thumb.

Roger

I was actually looking for a reference to what happens if a speaker is plugged in to an AC outlet but did not find it. . . .

I did find the reference to firing up speakers on 120vAC in some of the AR literature. Definitely not a good idea to use line plugs on speaker wires :)

Sadly, there are a LOT of YouTube videos showing just that. The first time I found one I was looking for info on some classic speaker and saw a vid of some idiot blowing them up for giggles. A lot of stupid people out there :(

-Kent

Geoff,

Here is another inspiring photo for ya!

thanx David and yes inspired. Waiting for more info on the power input work that was done but i have gotten a partial list of what he has on hand and willing to sell. If any of this is of interest let me know and I can get more details and/or pics if needed. For that matter, is there anything on this list that I should consider for myself? I am toying with the idea of getting the AR 5s and stacking on mine (when done) and driving with my 2325.

1. Pair Vandersteen Model 1 Excellent

2. 1 Single AR 2ax As is

3. 1 Pair AR 5 In the finishing stage

4. 1 Pair Tri-ette 3 way horn loudspeaker could be refinished

5. 1 Pair Kef 2 way speakers (modified)

6. 1 Pair AR-4x As is

7. 1 Pair AR-4 As is

8. 1 Pair Boston 2 Way speakers (modified)

Acoustics

9. 2 H.H. Scott 99d Integrated Tube Amp (mono) As-Is

10. Garrard 86SB Turntable w/cartridge Needs work

11. Assorted AR drivers Tweeters and woofers and 2ax midranges

12. Pioneer VSL Laser Disc Player with 30 laser discs Needs work

13. Sansui 5000x Receiver excellent condition

14. Audio Technica phono cartridge

13. Rega Model 2 turntable excellent

A couple of H.H. Scott Tube FM tuners one mono one stereo

Some other assorted speakers drivers.

Yes, the AR5 may be one of the best items on that list.

Kef's depending which model.

Maybe one if the nicest items on there is the Sansui 5000x if someone was in want of a vintage receiver at 60w/ch. Price dependent.

When would you use the FNM-8/10 fuse with the AR's?

I ordered a dozen FNM-8/10 fuses and fuse holders so if anyone needs a couple send me a PM.

Kent

Over the years I have heard only a handful of setups that made me sit up and take notice.

Sometimes it's just the way things strike you, your in the right mood or the stars are just aligned right.

Anyway, one of those euphoric moments occurred was when I visited a co-workers apartment for a listening session.

The setup consisted of Mirage M3SI speakers, Acurus A250 amp, Adcom GFP565 preamp, California Audio CD player, MIT interconnects and MIT speaker cables.

What I remember the most was listening to a CD of Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony. The presentation was lifelike. As if the musicians were right in front of me. No breakup at high volumes. Simply breathtaking.

I wound up buying the Acurus A250 from him about a year later and he replaced it with an Aragon 8008BB.

The Acurus sounds great with my AR3's and AR3a's and handles the bass with authority.

The relevance to this thread is that the Adcom GFP565 was part of the chain.

Could you do better? For sure. But the Adcom did it's job extremely well.

Although 10 years have gone by, I vividly remember the experience.

He told me that he spent a fair amount of time moving the speakers around until he was satisfied he found their best positions.

A 3' X 4' sheet was hung on the wall behind the speakers.

Other than that, the room was not treated with acoustic materials.

Over the years I have heard only a handful of setups that made me sit up and take notice.

Sometimes it's just the way things strike you, your in the right mood or the stars are just aligned right.

Anyway, one of those euphoric moments occurred was when I visited a co-workers apartment for a listening session.

The setup consisted of Mirage M3SI speakers, Acurus A250 amp, Adcom GFP565 preamp, California Audio CD player, MIT interconnects and MIT speaker cables.

What I remember the most was listening to a CD of Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony. The presentation was lifelike. As if the musicians were right in front of me. No breakup at high volumes. Simply breathtaking.

I wound up buying the Acurus A250 from him about a year later and he replaced it with an Aragon 8008BB.

The Acurus sounds great with my AR3's and AR3a's and handles the bass with authority.

Looks like a fine choice.

Gotta love those Ah-Ha moments.

Here is another review involving this amp: "The Acurus A250 is a fine amp, especially for the money. I bought mine new in 1993, along with the matching L10 preamp. I mate the combo with a very revealing pair of Martin Logan hybrid electrostatics (completely passive) and get crazy smoothness, detail, depth, width, and control. I once heard a similarly powered Aragon amp, which had even more bass depth and control, so that's why I give the amp four stars instead of five. After owning the amp for 20 years and running it through the same power conditioner the whole time, I finally got a wild hair and wondered what it would sound like plugged directly into the wall. Well, I did that, and then my wife and I laughed out loud. The transparency increased by a whole lot. It wasn't subtle. Then I almost cried knowing that I spent 20 years with sound that was not as good as it could have been. Anyway, it's like I have a whole new amp!"

BradleyP a Audio Enthusiast on Audioreview

It's been interesting looking at amp choices after having been out of the scene for around thirty years. A lot of changes over those years mostly focused on the business cycle. Audiophile has always had the connotation of being out-of-the-reach of ordinary mortals; however, we all dream and some us actually try to follow our dreams. That is what makes life interesting.

In a previous post from years ago on the same topic RoyC recommended Audiosource amps. They are in the three figure range. Audiophile these days is in the four to five figure range. So what does Audiophile mean these days, perhaps a new topic for conversation :)

Roger

run, don't walk to pick up that marantz....if there was one near me, I'd beg forgiveness from the wife after securing it...

Man, you are killing me! I already have the Adcom GFA5500, the Dynaco ST400, and a Pioneer SA9100 (albeit in the shop). Plus some Pioneer receivers like the 737, 636, and 1000ta.

I don't need it but if you think it is a great deal.......

my guess is that it a lot like the 9100.

Man, you are killing me! I already have the Adcom GFA5500, the Dynaco ST400, and a Pioneer SA9100 (albeit in the shop). Plus some Pioneer receivers like the 737, 636, and 1000ta.

I don't need it but if you think it is a great deal.......

my guess is that it a lot like the 9100.

I bought a 9100 when I was in Germany in the 70s along with the matching tuner ... fond memories.

Yeah, I have the TX9100 tuner too. Picks up everything.

Many 9100's of their current age are having an issue with the protection fault tripping. There are numerous threads on AK Pioneer section dedicated to helping diagnose and find the failing parts. It seems like most of them being aging out issues and are hard to find. My tech has thought he had mine fixed a couple times now and I have a bag of caps and resistors he has replaced to no avail. He has many hours in it and fortunately won't charge me any more until he figures it out. I think he is taking it personal at this point, but he just does not prioritize it so it has been at his shop for quite a while. I stop by every so often to remind him about it and convey how much I miss it etc just to needle him a bit for fun.

post-173623-0-96591300-1428069268_thumb.

Yeah, I have the TX9100 tuner too. Picks up everything.

Many 9100's of their current age are having an issue with the protection fault tripping. There are numerous threads on AK Pioneer section dedicated to helping diagnose and find the failing parts. It seems like most of them being aging out issues and are hard to find. My tech has thought he had mine fixed a couple times now and I have a bag of caps and resistors he has replaced to no avail. He has many hours in it and fortunately won't charge me any more until he figures it out. I think he is taking it personal at this point, but he just does not prioritize it so it has been at his shop for quite a while. I stop by every so often to remind him about it and convey how much I miss it etc just to needle him a bit for fun.

Just as I remember them. Probably semiconductor fail so would need to alternately heat/cool components until the culprit is found.

The guy I purchased my GFA5500 from is selling off a bunch of his gear including the following:

Marantz 2220B receiver $300
Marantz 2230 receiver $300
Marantz 2226 receiver and wood case $350
Marantz 2235 receiver and wood case $350
Sansui 6060 receiver $200
Sansui QRX5500 quad receiver $375
Pioneer SX-950 receiver $450
Marantz 140 power amp $350
Marantz 3200 preamp $300
Phase Linear 200 power amp $200
Phase Linear 4000 preamp $300

Just a heads u in case you guys might be interested.

http://boise.craigslist.org/ele/4965057250.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My AMP is a Marantz 4270, running 70W at 8-Ohm.

As my AR3a and AR3a Improved will be ready to use this week I discovered that my 4270 cannot run 4-Ohm speakers when in Stereo mode.

I love my 4270 and will not part from it to run my AR3a's.

So I bought a SONY TA-N55ES.

Looks:

2676379578_dd5d6a2aa5_o.jpg

Specs:

2k0732fe8a57.png

I can still use the 4270 but when playing the AR3's I just switch on the Sony connected to Front Pre Main Out of the 4270.

as long as you don't have 4 speakers hooked up to the 4270, it should handle the 4 ohm load of the 3's just fine...

Nôpe, the manual clearly says that 4-Ohm speakers in a stereo (2-chanel) setup is not recommended.

In a quatro (4-chanel) setup there is no problem.

Nôpe, the manual clearly says that 4-Ohm speakers in a stereo (2-chanel) setup is not recommended.

In a quatro (4-chanel) setup there is no problem.

Does it bridge the amps in stereo mode? If so, leave it in 4-channel mode and just use two channels. Or it may be possible to drive four 4 ohm speakers in quad mode.

I have seen a 2270 drive four JBL Century 100s to chest pounding levels with no problem -- a rather memorable experience from 1970's Germany.

Roger

Archived