Just finished restoring another set of 3as.

GD70

I started on these a few months back, just finished them yesterday.

They needed a good amount of work to the cabs, broken grill frame repair and new cloth installed, new caps, and pots. I sent the tweeters to Chris for rebuilding. Someone had been in them before, bypassing the corroded pots, replaced a mid and tweeter on one with later drivers, and soldered the leads back wards. Upon my initial listen, they were not very good, and no sound from the replaced mid. I first did the recap and new pots to confirm all the drivers worked, which they did. Whew! The tweeters had very low output, so off to Chris they went. Next was the cab and grill work, which was extensive. Three joints had mild moisture separation, most rear corners crunched. One grill broken in two places. Thanks to Kent for sending me two pot knobs that were also missing. 

They are now beautiful, and sounding great! The owner is very happy and will pick them up at the next Frankenfest on April 1st.

I have a thread on AK I’ll link here with lots of photos. I don’t have any room to post pics here.

Cheers, Glenn

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ar-3a-restoration-latest.1024859/#post-16268138

That's how I felt when I saved a pair of 9s that had water damage. Thanks to your tips they came out pretty decent.

Glenn, which do you prefer, the 3 or the 3a? I think you did a comparison video on YT. I found the 3s to be more natural.

Any sonic differences in the early 3a with the alnico woofer magnet vs the later ones?

On 3/22/2023 at 3:28 PM, DavidR said:

That's how I felt when I saved a pair of 9s that had water damage. Thanks to your tips they came out pretty decent.

Glenn, which do you prefer, the 3 or the 3a? I think you did a comparison video on YT. I found the 3s to be more natural.

Any sonic differences in the early 3a with the alnico woofer magnet vs the later ones?

Hi David.

Here's two videos I made to compare the 3 vs. 3a.

8 minutes ago, GD70 said:

Hi David.

Here's two videos I made to compare the 3 vs. 3a.

Interestingly, when I recorded these, there was no distortion, which I think my phone is causing with the low end. The 3s sound much more reticent than in person compared to the 3as, which sound much clearer and forward in the mids and highS in the recordings. These are just for an idea not HiFi at all!

Thanks so much for your thoughts and the videos. I had seen the video where you switched them back and forth. In that video the AR3 sounded better, more natural. Played the video on my laptop into a DAC and into my gear with AR90s. In these (new) videos the 3a sounded better; as you described.

Is the earlier 3a with the alnico woofer a better choice, or doesn't matter ?

8 hours ago, DavidR said:

Thanks so much for your thoughts and the videos. I had seen the video where you switched them back and forth. In that video the AR3 sounded better, more natural. Played the video on my laptop into a DAC and into my gear with AR90s. In these (new) videos the 3a sounded better; as you described.

Prefer the Alnico woofer, seems a bit deeper to my ears, but others may say the opposite!

Once I replace the pots in the 3s, I’ll do another video. Curious to see the difference.

On 3/28/2023 at 10:52 AM, DavidR said:

It's personal, but I prefer the Alnico woofers sound and smoothness.

Thanks for the reply.

Pondering a pair of AR5s nearby but would like to hold out for the 3a. There is one set not too far away but the woofers are different. One alnico and one later model.

I think my collection of ARs should include a true pair of ARs and not just Teledyne models.

46 minutes ago, DavidR said:

my collection of ARs should include a true pair of ARs and not just Teledyne models

David If you want pre Teledyne speakers, you need to look for a pair of AR3...AR3a was born under Teledyne ownership! 

If you are patient I would recommend a pair of less expensive AR2a (full Alnico), I have a pair of '63's which I have been listening to for many years, they have been in daily use ever since!! In my opinion (I currently have 28 pairs of ARs and 10 are always available for listening) they are probably the AR speakers I am most fond of.

2 hours ago, Giorgio AR said:

David If you want pre Teledyne speakers, you need to look for a pair of AR3...AR3a was born under Teledyne ownership! 

If you are patient I would recommend a pair of less expensive AR2a (full Alnico), I have a pair of '63's which I have been listening to for many years, they have been in daily use ever since!! In my opinion (I currently have 28 pairs of ARs and 10 are always available for listening) they are probably the AR speakers I am most fond of.

Thank you for that info. I was under the impression that the development of the 3a was pre-Teledyne. Sales years per aphenos>AR-3A: 1967-1976

What about the 2ax ?

7 hours ago, DavidR said:

What about the 2ax ?

David, I also own the AR2ax, these from '72 (therefore woofer with foam surround and 3/4 tw), they don't give me the same listening pleasure... the mid is too present and difficult to adjust to balance it, moreover the older AR2a are more efficient and easily adjustable precisely in the double cone mids to obtain a balanced sound (again from my impressions).
Currently the AR2a are stacked with a pair of Heathkit AS-2a (previously with a pair of AR2 and the stacking was already optimal with only the super tweeter of the AR2a!), the result is excellent.

On the left the current combination, on the right the previous...

113.thumb.jpg.e577cf883979e930e06f6d2dfe2cbc6a.jpg114.thumb.jpg.bdd17d5f9349692c0cad26f5c133f917.jpg

On 3/19/2023 at 10:02 PM, GD70 said:

I have a thread on AK I’ll link here with lots of photos

I also follow you on AK, I've seen your "works" (perhaps saying "masterpieces" is better) I appreciate your passion, dexterity and attention to detail...the attached photos are very useful, helpful and very demonstrative for us enthusiasts.
My compliments on your wonderful restorations of our beloved Acoustic Research.

6 hours ago, Giorgio AR said:

David, I also own the AR2ax, these from '72 (therefore woofer with foam surround and 3/4 tw), they don't give me the same listening pleasure... the mid is too present and difficult to adjust to balance it, moreover the older AR2a are more efficient and easily adjustable precisely in the double cone mids to obtain a balanced sound (again from my impressions).
Currently the AR2a are stacked with a pair of Heathkit AS-2a (previously with a pair of AR2 and the stacking was already optimal with only the super tweeter of the AR2a!), the result is excellent.

Impressive !

Thank you for your thoughts. I'll look around my area and see what's available.

Here's my AR towers >

AR Towers.jpg