AR3 Stands

Shacky

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2023 at 1:15 PM, Shacky said:

What stands do you recommend that are readily available?

11 hours ago, JKent said:

Maybe the new KLH Model Five stands? 

I just heard from a fellow in Canada, Patrick, who bought some of my dynaco speaker badges. He sent me photos of his speakers and the custom stands he had made for them. Here's a picture. He said I could pass along his contact info. I suggested he join CSP but in the meantime you can PM me for his contact.

btw, his comment regarding getting the speakers up on stands: "What an incredible difference that made to the sound produced! It's like night and day difference."

stands.jpg

"btw, his comment regarding getting the speakers up on stands: "What an incredible difference that made to the sound produced! It's like night and day difference.""

The above quote is so true.

Funny a couple of years ago I met up with stiff objection about not putting my beloved speakers on floors but, rather on stands with regard for best possible listening quality. A few novice members disagreed with my opinion of never placing speakers on floors.

When my living conditions changed from the classic book-shelve' arrangement I initially had my AR-3a's in from 1971 to 1978 to a much larger room, everything changed.

I knew I couldn't mount my speakers on the floors, heck, I learned years before that such a consideration was wrong and went and purchased a set of generic 10 inch stands.

In a short time I realized something was off in their presentation and as my suspicions confirmed when I replaced the low stands with 16 steel stands it was like: "It's like night and day differencence". Well, that was way back in 1978.  Presently, I have my speakers mounted 16 inch stands of a different nature and weight capacity because my speakers require it.

FM

10 hours ago, JKent said:

I just heard from a fellow in Canada, Patrick, who bought some of my dynaco speaker badges. He sent me photos of his speakers and the custom stands he had made for them. Here's a picture. He said I could pass along his contact info. I suggested he join CSP but in the meantime you can PM me for his contact.

btw, his comment regarding getting the speakers up on stands: "What an incredible difference that made to the sound produced! It's like night and day difference."

stands.jpg

Hello, everyone. I found a metal work fellow not far from where I live who made my stands for me as I found these on another location (JBL) and thought they were the best thing I could do for my Dynaco A-25XL's. However, my speakers were too small for those stands so I had them made to measure. And yes they made an incredible difference in the sound quality. Worth every penny, and then some.
Thank you, Kent for doing that post for me and helping me find this site. I found him while searching for the Dynaco A-25XL badges that went missing when I replaced the grill cloth of my speakers back in the 80s.

Speaker Stand Front Facing.png

Speaker Stand Side View.png

We all know by now that speaker placement is critical in terms of accurate sound reproduction.

I'm going to start experimenting with angles and heights.

I'm sure there's a body of knowledge somewhere out there that comes from the designers of specific loudspeakers.

Maybe somebody like Tom could share something about this.