2 Questions on AR

DavidR

Teledyne purchased AR in 1967, the same year the AR3a was released. The AR3 was produced till at least 1970. The ADD line was probably around 1976 or 1977. 

There were a lot of Advents being sold in those years. I would go with the AR3a. The AR2ax and AR4 earlier. The LST was not till 1970. All classic AR speakers.

LST's were 1972 till 1976.

I was already attempting to influence friends to buy AR's since I was so sure they sounded the most accurate in musical instrument reproduction. Yet, even back then my mind struggled with the sometimes 'not-enough' level of high-frequencies. By 1974 my chill-pill arrived as "Micro-Static" accessory tweeters.  I simply could not go on feeling and knowing my system wasn't complete if everything else sounded excellent except that certain AR lacking amount of high frequencies.  Once I had all of the other important factors in place all that was left for me to do in 1974 was to buy into the new rage of high-power which I did. I've persisted and never wavered and remained a loyal fan and never felt the need to change. I felt back then as I do today that AR and high-power were foundational to my system and I was set. After that, I only improved input sources, such phono-cartridges and cables.

In 1976 a close friend who would contest and doubt me in a playful masculine competitive way had purchased L-100 JBL's,  claiming he couldn't handle reticent 'highs'.  He changed his mind only after a couple of months and again came to me for info and wanting to buy AR-3a's. I laughed.  He went shopping and could not find any AR-3a's and settled for their newest model, the AR-11. They were nice but, a little thin in the upper bass compared to the AR-3a. Similar to some who can't decide, he sold those and bought Allison Ones. A few years later he bought Thiel 3.5 or 6's. They were like bigger sounding AR-2ax's on stands and slightly more forward sounding.  Today he's back to AR-11's which he is now content with once more but, I still had to convince him about appropriate stands.

Today, as for most of my adult life, I have exclusively owned AR's. One could joke that I've been married to them for over 51 years. Hey isn't that a Golden Anniversary status?

FM

1 hour ago, lARrybody said:

Teledyne purchased AR in 1967, the same year the AR3a was released. The AR3 was produced till at least 1970. The ADD line was probably around 1976 or 1977. 

There were a lot of Advents being sold in those years. I would go with the AR3a. The AR2ax and AR4 earlier. The LST was not till 1970. All classic AR speakers.

I was thinking along those lines, too. But, there could have been several models in development at the time of sale. Are they AR or TAR?

I wish all of us on this forum lived closer to one another so then we'd have listening-sessions just as I did back in the 1970's with many individuals.

And David, drooling is only part of it. During listen-sessions, I've had other's  actually startled and I'd watch their eyes open up wider and heads turn towards the speakers in disbelief then, turn to me a say a big "WOW"!  Moments later letting out a big "Holy-Sh--t" comment after the last crescendo be it rock or classical.*  I had one guest get out of their seat, walk over to with 3-4 feet of the speakers and lay down on the floor. And with their hands behind their necks and their angles crossed acting like they were in listening-heaven'.  I've had others that were initially doubters walk out after we finished a session with their ears pressurized and wearing a big sh-t eaten grin saying; "we gotta do that again". 

Interestingly enough, I've had similar moments all through my AR-life. When I first bought my AR-3a's in 1971, I insisted anyone who came over to give me a few minutes so I could give them a sample of my new system. At 20-21 years old was I being too pushy? Perhaps but, I was so impressed myself I just had to share it with everyone.

FM

* I just purchased a classical disk called; "Mephisto & Co." , Minnesota Orchestra pressed  by  QRP Reference Recordings, half-speed mastered 45rpm vinyl disk. Maybe some others are familiar with it already?  And although I haven't listened to it yet, I'm excited to do so. Click the link below and you can hear a sample of each piece on YouT-be.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&sa=X&biw=1774&bih=890&q=minnesota+orchestra+mephisto+waltz+no.1:+first+ending&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgFuLSz9U3MEyvqMhJUoKwk8ws0yy0RLOTrfRzS4szk_UTc5JKc62K8_PSixexmuZm5uWlFueXJCrkFyVnpBaXFCUq5KYWZGQWl-QrlCfmlFQp5OXrGVoppGUWFZcopOalZOalT2BjBAB2ylwlbAAAAA

Original AR vs Teledyne AR is a fuzzy boundary, because the transfer from Villchur to Teledyne in 1967 retained Villchur's key people for five years. And from interviews with Roy Allison, Teledyne seems to have kept hands off product development during those five years as they concentrated on upsetting the applecart on the financial side of the house. So products released between 1967 and 1972 are probably still mostly "original AR," even if their labels have "Teledyne" on them.

22 hours ago, DavidR said:

(1) What speaker is considered the last of the original Acoustic Research brand vs Teledyne Acoustic Research?

(2) AR3 or AR3a? Probably a personal preference but opinions wanted on the two speakers.

image.thumb.png.e855eee8a3770e47e1c4cbecf98f761b.png

David, are you thinking of seeking out a pair of the AR3a?   I've always felt that the classic ARs did the better job of presenting classical music than the various series that followed.

Maybe

Eyes are open for AR5, AR3, AR3a and LST BUT only if I can get it for a decent price. Prices are crazy right now. Hoping to stumble on a pair at a yard sale with a seller who has 'no clue'. Same with a '58 to '60 Gibson Les Paul. 😉

14 minutes ago, DavidR said:

Eyes are open for AR5, AR3, AR3a and LST BUT only if I can get it for a decent price. Prices are crazy right now. Hoping to stumble on a pair at a yard sale with a seller who has 'no clue'. 

I've been hoping to stumble on a pair of AR3's or AR3a's at a yard sale or an estate sale for years now, too. The closest I ever came was where I raced a guy down a stairwell to the basement at the opening bell of an estate sale. At the bottom of the stairs, he turned and ran to the left, I went to the right. He found the AR3's first and they were sold to him for $200. That was over 3 years ago and the search for The Holy Grail continues...

Last year, a pair of AR-5's popped up on eBay.  Nothing unusual, other than the fact the speakers were just a few blocks from me!  I believe the asking price was $375.  I watched them for a few weeks, then they disappeared.  I figured they had sold outside of eBay.

Well, a couple of months later I stopped at my local deli for supper.  While waiting for the food, I walked across the street to the local antique store.  Imagine my shock when I saw the eBay AR-5's sitting in the corner of the store.  I asked the clerk about them, and he said he couldn't sell them on eBay.  He'd received nothing but low ball offers.  I asked how much, and he answered $75.  I said sold.  Afterwards, he thanked me for not haggling about the price!  :)

Stimpy I love stories like this. They make me feel good inside. I have a beautiful set of AR5's that I drove 60 miles to get. They have the wrong non AR woofers and I paid more than $75.00.  They will eventually be restored.  I also have two pairs of Euro AR5's in Teak. Both came from Cincinnati from two different sellers two weeks apart. One set had been restored and the second set has Hi-Vi tweeters. That set I got from a guy who's wife said he had to many speakers. He had two sets. The AR5's and some Bose 901's. His wife decided they would keep the 901's. I was in agreement with her. 

QQufZoYm.jpgMuqQerQm.jpgnOK0f5Jm.jpg

gKYSNtZm.jpgZfyruWom.jpgmHYungdm.jpgs5MAfacm.jpg 

On 7/24/2022 at 8:25 PM, frankmarsi said:

I just purchased a classical disk called; "Mephisto & Co." , Minnesota Orchestra pressed  by  QRP Reference Recordings

Reference Recordings makes a high quality product.  Recording quality is always excellent. Their recording of Saint Saens 3 performed by the Kansas City SO is maybe the current best available and is also on half speed vinyl.

4 hours ago, lARrybody said:

Stimpy I love stories like this. They make me feel good inside. I have a beautiful set of AR5's that I drove 60 miles to get. They have the wrong non AR woofers and I paid more than $75.00.  They will eventually be restored.  I also have two pairs of Euro AR5's in Teak. Both came from Cincinnati from two different sellers two weeks apart. One set had been restored and the second set has Hi-Vi tweeters. That set I got from a guy who's wife said he had to many speakers. He had two sets. The AR5's and some Bose 901's. His wife decided they would keep the 901's. I was in agreement with her. 

Thanks!  I was definitely shocked and surprised by the find and purchase!  Now, if a pair of AR-9's would pop up like that too, I'd be in heaven.  Maybe I need to check back in at the antique store...?   :D