AR18s

Jas77

Hi all I have just acquired a pair of Acoustic Research AR18s speakers which sound a bit flat so opened them up to find the positive and negative wired incorrectly inside the speaker. With hope that this would change the lower end sound but unfortunately although better it wasn’t as good as expected! I am now wondering if the mid/bass speaker has been replaced with an inferior speaker although all the serial numbers look like they match original parts listing but I was led to believe that most of not all the speakers had the square magnet design whereas the ones installed in the speakers I have are round? If anyone could confirm this that would be great as if the case is that the speakers are incorrect then I will try to source the originals and replace them and give the speakers another go. 

2D3357C8-5CA6-46E4-BC2B-CD8E372F442E.jpeg

ED53A313-6BCD-4472-8E00-577BBFBDEF0B.jpeg

22F36331-0E80-4C23-98DE-3A86BE137A36.jpeg

I can confirm that the woofers are not original (the label on the magnet though yes), even if these are probably Tonegen, however they are not the correct substitutes (if replacement Tonegen they would sound almost indistinguishable from the woofers built in USA and original for AR18S.
If you do not find the correspondents, the most valid and easy to find replacement is always the "universal woofer", as defined by Acoustic Research 200001-1

Giorgio.

These are the woofers AR listed as replacements for the 18 series in 1986. The label says they're US made, so they're not Tonegen.

Is there a gasket under the woofer? If not, you don't have a seal. Even if there is a gasket, it may be too compressed to seal well. Try some new foam tape or sealing putty and see what that does.

4 minutes ago, genek said:

These are the woofers AR listed as replacements for the 18 series in 1986. The label says they're US made, so they're not Tonegen.

Is there a gasket under the woofer? If not, you don't have a seal. Even if there is a gasket, it may be too compressed to seal well. Try some new foam tape or sealing putty and see what that does.

Thanks for the reply.
There is no gasket under woofer so will give that a go but would I be better off getting the original woofers for them as no one I have asked seems to know much about the ones a I currently have??

The 200037 woofer is the woofer that was provided in AR-18s.  It is almost a direct copy of the original 200001 woofer.

Your pictures of the 2 woofers show that the original foam gasket is still on the inside flange, but it probably no longer provides a good seal. 

I agree with genek, a new seal could make all the difference.  I use a gasketing tape sold by Parts Express - https://www.parts-express.com/Speaker-Gasketing-Tape-1-8-x-1-2-x-50-ft.-Roll-260-542.   Remove the old gasket first before you install the new one.

I agree with Giorgio.  There is something odd about these woofers.  I have examined the front baffle photo on three different monitors and it looks to me like the voice coil covers are concave, the surrounds are attached on the back side of the cone and are shiny like butyl rather than dull like foam.   Tell me I am wrong please.

image.png.5bbad98a7e3d5fab47e034705c6d60ec.png

I am also perplexed by these woofers. They remind me of  Tonegen 1210037-2A woofers but that label dose not belong and the terminal plate is different along with the dust cap. I am a big fan of the AR18S and own half a dozen examples. 

iI8Aoph.jpg

Here is a 200037 woofer and a Tonegen 1210037. To me they sound identical.

NS93TaQ.jpg

AOh7k5r.jpg

You guys are right.  The woofers don't look like the 200037.  It looks like someone took a Sharpe and marked out the actual label and stuck on the 200037 labels.

Jas77, if you have a multimeter, check the DC resistance of the woofers.  If they don't measure somewhere between 4.4 ohms & 4.8 ohms, it is very unlikely that they are either the 200037's or 1210037's.

16 hours ago, Aadams said:

I agree with Giorgio.  There is something odd about these woofers.  I have examined the front baffle photo on three different monitors and it looks to me like the voice coil covers are concave, the surrounds are attached on the back side of the cone and are shiny like butyl rather than dull like foam.   Tell me I am wrong please.

image.png.5bbad98a7e3d5fab47e034705c6d60ec.png

Hi the voice coil cover is indeed concave and as you say the surrounds are attached to the back of the cone but they are foam. 

13 hours ago, AR55 said:

You guys are right.  The woofers don't look like the 200037.  It looks like someone took a Sharpe and marked out the actual label and stuck on the 200037 labels.

Jas77, if you have a multimeter, check the DC resistance of the woofers.  If they don't measure somewhere between 4.4 ohms & 4.8 ohms, it is very unlikely that they are either the 200037's or 1210037's.

The resistance across the coil is about 3.2ohms

You do have the correct 200038-0 tweeters. One of the best sounding cone tweeters I have come across.  If you are looking for replacement woofers they were used in some other models. The AR28S and the AR18B I believe. If you can find a pair of Rock Partners they will have the Tonegen  1210037 woofers which will work just fine. 

The Rock Partners will also have the 1210038 Tonegen tweeters which can be back up replacements. Here they are the on the left and the AR USA made ones on the right.

cmhUvLbl.jpg

RFLecEXl.jpg

It looks like you 5uf cap has been replaced because all of mine came with a Unicon electrolyte. I used a Dayton 5.1 and binding post from Parts Express to replace those spring clips.

oeAtml9l.jpg

On 1/17/2022 at 11:21 PM, lARrybody said:

You do have the correct 200038-0 tweeters. One of the best sounding cone tweeters I have come across.  If you are looking for replacement woofers they were used in some other models. The AR28S and the AR18B I believe. If you can find a pair of Rock Partners they will have the Tonegen  1210037 woofers which will work just fine. 

The Rock Partners will also have the 1210038 Tonegen tweeters which can be back up replacements. Here they are the on the left and the AR USA made ones on the right.

cmhUvLbl.jpg

RFLecEXl.jpg

It looks like you 5uf cap has been replaced because all of mine came with a Unicon electrolyte. I used a Dayton 5.1 and binding post from Parts Express to replace those spring clips.

oeAtml9l.jpg

Ideal thanks for the info👍🏻
will probably look at changing the spring clips like you have if I can find some replacement woofers. 

On 1/18/2022 at 12:21 AM, lARrybody said:

It looks like you 5uf cap has been replaced because all of mine came with a Unicon electrolyte

I confirm the use of Interlec capacitors in this period, they are also present in my AR48B crossovers, tested unlike the Elcap / Callins, the nominal values differ from the original specifications by about 20%, much less than the infamous black / red Callins !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 9:03 AM, Jas77 said:

Some more photos. The speaker cabinets seem to be made out of a chipboard type of material?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fiber board, there is LDF Low Density Fiberboard, Medium (MDF), and High or HDF. I think AR and other high end companies used HDF.