Edgar Villchur's discussion of the AR-1W

teknofossil

12 hours ago, teknofossil said:

I thought I'd post some of what I found to be good reading about the design of the AR-1W. 

-T

Bravo Tom, every added piece increases our knowledge on Acoustic Research and on the capacity and innovation that brilliant minds have introduced with love almost 70 years ago ... objects that still amaze today for how they "interpret and render the sound" now in ours ears, great article!

Giorgio.

16 hours ago, teknofossil said:

I thought I'd post some of what I found to be good reading about the design of the AR-1W.

I thought I'd add some practical and humorous observations made about the AR-1 by reviewers who heard and tested it when new.

The first is from the article Audio Etc. by Edward Canby in Audio magazine, August 1955. The second is from the Technical Talk article titled "Audio Thrills and Chills" by Julian Hirsch in the August 1995 issue of Stereo Review.

image.png.d594383346c578502a3277a68630aa78.png00

image.png.6c5b65717d9aebc7c56334dc897589c6.png

6 minutes ago, JeffS said:

I thought I'd add some practical and humorous observations made about the AR-1 by reviewers who heard and tested it when new.

The first is from the article Audio Etc. by Edward Canby in Audio magazine, August 1955. The second is from the Technical Talk article titled "Audio Thrills and Chills" by Julian Hirsch in the August 1995 issue of Stereo Review.

Thanks for this.

I can recall reading Edward Canby's column in Audio, and really enjoying his intelligent, personalized takes on just about anything that came his way. He also had an extensive musicological background, and wrote some excellent liner notes for the Nonesuch record label. 

2 hours ago, ar_pro said:

I'm almost certain that I have an old thumb drive somewhere with lots of Classic era magazine ads - would this be of interest?

Unfortunately, right now it just adds to the backlog. Best to hang onto them until (hopefully) Mark is able to figure out a path forward for the library.

9 hours ago, ar_pro said:

lots of Classic era magazine ads - would this be of interest?

It is nice to read every reference to the history of Acoustic Research and its "men". At the moment there are no other possibilities to enter the library ... we will see in the future. I always read with pleasure any reference or document concerning Acoustic Research, just as I am pleased to have some original paper pieces to consult or read from time to time at my home.

I also like the title with reference to Edgar Villchur a lot

This will become a nice topic!

Ok, how about instead of putting the esponsibility on Mark how about a simple website, administered by a few members, to upload this information? For example, similar in nature to say what Triode Electronics has offered since the late 90's for those looking for tube audio schematics? This could be linked in many places to the Classic Speaker Pages.

http://www.triodeel.com/schindex.htm

-T

Edited by teknofossil
Additional info

If anyone has any concrete proposals to offer and has the web authoring chops to actually do the work - suggest you click on the Contact link on the site homepage and send a message direct to webmaster (that's Mark). I don't think he has time to read the forums much anymore.