Heathkit AS-103a replacement pot problems..

mondo

Hey guys,

I've got a set of as-103as that I have been slowly repairing over time. I just received the replacement pots found on ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-3-AR-3a-AR-2-AR-2ax-AR-4-AR-4x-AR-5-AR-6-wirewound-potentiometer-pot/163074984077?hash=item25f806c88d:g:mF0AAOSw4eJbEGaU). There is a major problem, though, which is that these "improved" pots are much larger in diameter than the originals. They will not fit in the holes provided on the metal back plate. The pots touch together and are too wide.. Any ideas? Should I drill out the hole? Get different replacement pots? What would you do?

Mondo

I thought someone with 103s would have answered by now.  If these pots are larger than lpads then they are large.  Are you saying both stem and cylinder are too large?   Would not drill out holes.  I would find decent used pots before I did that.  Lpads are least expensive and most reliable route if they will fit.

Adams

Wow! That is a big one. 8 ohm 15 watt lpads are 1.5 inch diameter and a snug fit side by side in a 3a box.  Threaded stem diameter is near identical to pots. Some members here have used what you are showing as 3a pot replacement so maybe there is a difference in the mounting hole displacement between a 103 and a 3a or they made mods to the masonite holes.  If you use Lpads with 1" inch stems you can make use of "air rights" inside the box and have more room for wiring and other pieces to run in the horizontal plan.  Setting stem height is easy with supplied spacer washers and nuts.

If the control shown in the  photo and in the Ebay link provided by the OP are the same, they should work satisfactorily. I have one here (provided by forum member Chris1this1) and it is the same diameter as a 15 watt L-pad, which is just a bit over 1.5 inches. Unless, as Aadams suggested, the 103 has a different mounting distance between the controls...? 

Roy

I think it is safe to say that the 103 does have a different displacement between mounting points for the pots. It's only about a mm or two too short for these to work, unmodified. I'll measure the distance later today and report back. Thanks for the help, friends.