AR 2-ax

powerglide

OK, so I finally received the resistors for the mids, finished everything off and reassembled for testing 

speaker one. 100% including L Pads

speaker two. Mid - Hi and L Pads AOK, no Bass. I tested internally with the live speaker cables, positive  good, negative nothing from the speaker terminal all the way to where the bare copper meets the blue driver wire. 

Even when I put the live neg speaker cable directly to the copper either side of the coil nothing, I didn't have much time to trouble shoot, but I cut the bare copper at the blue driver wire connection and tested directly to the copper, still nothing, (see pic) is there a coatinging over the bare copper that needs scraping back before connecting any terminals? 

P

I'll have another play tomorrow, any Ideas? Can't be the coil. 

IMG_0616.PNG

Crossover board 

IMG_0618.thumb.PNG.35d61117360591ec8d252287f8b305c1.PNG

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Progress on my refurb 

freshened up the faces with a matt black enamel chalkboard paint

IMG_0635.thumb.PNG.9ea8827e70cc78824cd9f1129cfcd32e.PNG

because my pots had been savagely cut out from the rear I made complete new crossover boards from black acrylic. I have access to a digital printer so I took a photo off the net of the rear panel text and had it converted to a vector file for printing. I had no accurate measurements of the L Pad location but it looks pretty good.

IMG_0638.thumb.PNG.ecb27a7eb11333a2f3d1206b362743b2.PNG

I put a matt laminate film over the vinyl sticker after I applied it to the acrylic 

IMG_0630.thumb.PNG.8dbb5457e535c38315640de6e02c09ff.PNG

IMG_0636.thumb.PNG.9e6cb8ebdabfd0faac1fcf899dc82eec.PNG

resistors fitted to the mids 

IMG_0634.thumb.PNG.b4a540ec25e95aa5a4f9f6245b674824.PNG

Finished off the cross overs 

IMG_0632.thumb.PNG.4cc2eddb3819a03f6afdf7bee80493d2.PNG

IMG_0633.thumb.PNG.1278585310e9bb780727b4febc845108.PNG

I Sikaflexed around speaker terminals to create a seal 

IMG_0637.thumb.PNG.33d071cd8f3e70f3ebf296a9dbe9f91e.PNG

Completed rear view

IMG_0631.thumb.PNG.f180f3a635ce457a3703ba72a3bdc90f.PNG

IMG_0639.thumb.PNG.cf581dc03300df1af4649f8cde06b70f.PNG

Just got to sort out that bass driver and then I can pack the insulation back in and give them a real test.

I had planned on doing some Walnut front panels with circles cut to the size of each driver with covers out of the original type linen cloth inserted from the rear but I'm undecided, probably just use the originals for a while, I do like their vintage look.

Holy Moly that's beautiful work! Outside AND in! You may claim ignorance and inexperience but that's a masterpiece.

More importantly--I know you're a transplanted Kiwi, living in Oz. We are all saddened and horrified by the devastation in your adopted home and hope the fires will soon be extinguished.

Kent

9 hours ago, powerglide said:

Even when I put the live neg speaker cable directly to the copper either side of the coil nothing, I didn't have much time to trouble shoot, but I cut the bare copper at the blue driver wire connection and tested directly to the copper, still nothing, (see pic) is there a coatinging over the bare copper that needs scraping back before connecting any terminals? 

P

I'll have another play tomorrow, any Ideas? Can't be the coil.

I agree with Kent. Neat work.

Yes, there is an enamel coating on inductor coil wire. Sand or scrape it off and tin it before making connections.

Roy

thank you again Mr Roy, i'll give that a try and report back. I have brought a DAC,  flac files and beer into the workshop in anticipation.   

I've lived in Sydney for 20 years now and fires are a part of summer but this season is off the Richter scale. No major damage to Sydney Metro but unless the winds are onshore, maybe one day in 10, the smoke has be hazardous. A lot of love from around the globe and thanks for your thoughts @JKent  I see you like the Vettes Kent, I have on old 68 Premier which was built down here by Holden part of GM, it has a Powerglide transmission hence my avatar.      

I have the file now so if anyone wants vinyl printed up? can do. the hole locations only suit mine as I never had positions of the original pots, the terminals holes were taken off the old board so they should be generic. 

it would be easy for you/anyone to send a digital file to me with their hole layout and I could overlay my artwork to suit, no different to what we do for most jobs just you guys are in the states. 

3 hours ago, stupidhead said:

Telegraph Road would be a great "christening" powerglide

A little OT but whyzat? I like Mark Knopfler but missed the connection. But yes--it would sound great on the 2-ax's.

Scraped the bare coil copper back at both ends, tinned and re-termanated, success. Loaded the stuffing back in for the maiden voyage 

IMG_0647.thumb.PNG.441557ff4ef4f0ff4d449ff04c93815d.PNG

They didn't disappoint SRV Little Wing then the Staple Hotel California 

IMG_0649.thumb.PNG.14776c1faf75caaba9179917b8d2681d.PNG

We are building an entertainment unit at the moment so I loaded them up 

rebirth

IMG_0646.thumb.PNG.1d4b6ba157c4968461cfea8d0d1cd02f.PNG

very happy with the initial result, but the real test will be when they are in a proper room paired with a better amp and TT, will keep you posted 

not shown in the pics but be sure there’s a barrier between the fiberglass and the woofer.

If the original kimpac is gone use sheer cloth like crinolin or, Roy’s tip: a thin layer of poly batting

And your skill in woodworking certainly shows on the cabinets but that was also carried over to your internal work. If I ever make my dream trip to Australia you can expect an uninvited guest to view your handiwork. I’ll bring the beer ? 

Kent

9 hours ago, JKent said:

A little OT but whyzat? I like Mark Knopfler but missed the connection. But yes--it would sound great on the 2-ax's.

the main reason is as you say "it would sound great on the 2-ax's" and the fact that powerglide is from OZ is "the connection".

Telegraph Road is the first song on possibly the best 20 minutes of vinyl for critical listening imho.

How about "Friday On My Mind", by the Easybeats, followed by "Friday On My Mind", by David Bowie? Covers Oz and the U.K. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iW2_Ec3uEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCgNCczbixc

No kidding, I really admire the work done on this restoration - a skilled, well thought-out approach to bringing these nice old speakers into the 21st Century!

3 hours ago, stupidhead said:

Kent, you are correct. on all counts

for some reason I associate Dire Straits with OZ, sorry for the confusion. I can't always explain what is in my head, remember it is stupidhead

Well, there’s AC/DC and INXS. Not my faves. And of course Men at Work. meh. 

But I do like me a little didgeridoo ?

8 hours ago, JKent said:

If I ever make my dream trip to Australia you can expect an uninvited guest to view your handiwork

Anytime Kent 

current Oz bands worth seeking out if their not on your radar already 

• The Teskey Brothers 
  • Tash Saltana
  • John Butler Trio 
  • Ocean Alley 

NZ local favourites 

• Fat Freddy's Drop
  • Salmonella Dub
  • The Black Seeds 

Powerglide, your attention to detail raises the bar for many of us that have restored these vintage AR speakers. Congratulations on such a excellent restoration. As far as recording artist from down under there is only one that tops my list.

8RjACb5.jpg

Born in Cambridge, Raised in Melbourne, Four time Grammy Award winner and still going strong at 71. 

I've been putting this post off as my first impression of these speakers was "wow" and yet when I got them home things seemed a little flat! I knew they had the minerals I just had to find them. 

I won't be using any BS adjectives, just what I hear in layman's terms that hopefully can be translated. Remember I've never heard any AR's prior and can't even compare what I've changed to that of the original 2ax's 

First Listen in the workshop, 1000 SQM, 8m stud, tin roof, concrete floor, flac files on JRiver Media, Rega DAC, OP shop Amp, albeit a nice unit - Yamaha AX 500.

super nice, overall warm 70's presence, tight balanced bass that came way down low without thumping or overpowering the higher frequencies which I had set at 3/4 and never touched, which were delicate and separated, It was a short session and the environment was poor, gauging any depth or soundstage was impossible.

Second Listen my place 3.6m x 10m x 2.4 stud, Benz Micro Wood, RB600, Rega Planner 3, Exposure XIII phono, Sansui AU-D11 

what the! the AR's seemed to have surrendered any separation and became flat and muddled, the bass had lost its definition and was clearly not reaching the smooth lows of the workshop session, puzzled I pressed on, they faired a little better with vocal tracks and slow electric blues but really it seem like they were scared that my other speakers were going to pounce and devour them. 

I slept on it and accesed the situation throughout the day. Synergy in a system is paramount and I'm very pleased with the way every works together in my chain, my assumption was the Cart, the Amp and the speakers were all a bit mellow for each other. I have JBL 4313b studio monitors that are quite lively and the rest of my system tames them to my liking. If I bring flac files and a DAC in it becomes amazing, for about an hour or so, then I'm stressed and fatigued go back to vinyl and everything is amazing again. Thinking that the AR's were doing the reverse, I tried again. 

Third - Seventh Listen same room, flac files on JRiver Media, Rega DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 351R 

their back! First and foremost is that bass, nice and tight again, nothing window shaking just low and controled. I didn't mess with the L Pads too much, to be honest I find them a bit of a hassle on the back and you need a second person to do the twisting while seated in the listening position. Higher frequency tones were nice and complemented the smoothness of the bass giving a classic 70's sound. I tried a number of speaker positions, like most they were best away from the wall about 1m. I found the wider the better which created a soundstage from about a meter behind the speakers. I switched them sideways in the room giving a 3.6m depth(because I could) and they became a little boomy on some music, they sounded better in that position on the ground tilted up. The speakers enjoyed complex arrangements and much suited to the following bands that I like from the same era, Steely Dan, Little Feat, Van Morrison, Fleetwood Mac (with the ladies) ect. CSNY was the highlight with Neil's "Helpless". They handled modern Rock recordings and classic Prog Rock well, but lost definition with some older fuzzy grungy rock. Acoustic and stripped down blues were great as were female vocalists, Nina Simone, Emma Paki, Tash Santana, Sharon Jones ect. I'll be trying a few different combos over the next weeks and report back.

All in all a very polite speaker that I could happily live with.

This was never ment to be a shootout, but there was another set of speakers in the room that even my listening partner felt did everything a little better, excuse the classy speaker stands

IMG_0664.thumb.PNG.5ceead25ce71df7a17a0990de430c0aa.PNG

IMG_0663.thumb.PNG.e57613c24ab555cadfa7e0f78ed1a0f3.PNG

3 hours ago, powerglide said:

This was never ment to be a shootout, but there was another set of speakers in the room that even my listening partner felt did everything a little better,

Powerglide

Your meticulous restoration has set a new bar for all of us, especially considering the condition of these when you started.  One thing you may not know is the performance of your tweeters is likely so severely degraded that a fair comparison with those JBLs is not possible without a tweeter rebuild or installing a modified HI Vi.  

Adams

3 hours ago, Aadams said:

Powerglide

Your meticulous restoration has set a new bar for all of us, especially considering the condition of these when you started.  One thing you may not know is the performance of your tweeters is likely so severely degraded that a fair comparison with those JBLs is not possible without a tweeter rebuild or installing a modified HI Vi.  

Adams

Agree! One other option would be to add some external supertweeters.

Kent