Just finished the 2x.....

lakecat

Not much info on this series so I assume it was short-lived. I got these in a trade this summer for a Nikko receiver along with some later model 2ax's which are refinished and gone. We have an arctic winter so far so not much desire to get them done.....but I went ahead and recapped, cleaned the pots after getting the cabs done. Not a bad sounding two way. Does anyone have these? Serial numbers are low.....in the 4k range...but not sure how many were ever made. They really threw a lot of drivers at that 2 cabinet over it's life! 

7 hours ago, JKent said:

cabinets look beautiful, cat!

I bet some MicroAcoustic tweeter arrays would be perfect with those!

MicroStatic copyg.jpg

Hi Kent....thanks. What is funny is that there was a pair of Realistic super tweeters that came with it. Never tried them as I was surprised they bring a hundred bucks for a pair on the bay...so I sold them. 

3 hours ago, lakecat said:

Hi Kent....thanks. What is funny is that there was a pair of Realistic super tweeters that came with it. Never tried them as I was surprised they bring a hundred bucks for a pair on the bay...so I sold them. 

I wouldn't mind finding a pair of those for $100.

10 minutes ago, lakecat said:

I meant the super tweeters which shocked me. 

That's what I'm referring to. I'd buy a working pair for that amount for my 2's. They sound good as is, but it would be fun to try to squeeze a little more high end out of them. 

1 hour ago, samberger0357 said:

That's what I'm referring to. I'd buy a working pair for that amount for my 2's. They sound good as is, but it would be fun to try to squeeze a little more high end out of them. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pair-Of-Realistic-Super-Tweeter-40-1310-Speakers/302604273627?hash=item46749ec7db:g:gAEAAOSwIBJaXXSo

Hey Jeff,

Nice restoration! What did you clean up the cabinets with? They look great.

I used those RS tweeters with external L-pads on top of a pair of AR-2ax's in the very early 80's. I recall liking the combo very much with the controls set close to the minimum setting. There is a small cap inside the tweeter housing, and vaguely recall playing around with that as well.

Roy

On 1/16/2018 at 3:32 PM, RoyC said:

Hey Jeff,

Nice restoration! What did you clean up the cabinets with? They look great.

I used those RS tweeters with external L-pads on top of a pair of AR-2ax's in the very early 80's. I recall liking the combo very much with the controls set close to the minimum setting. There is a small cap inside the tweeter housing, and vaguely recall playing around with that as well.

Roy

Hi Roy.....thanks... cabs were done as usual with steam, sanding, Howards, and satin poly. Done so many now that it is down to about three labor hours or so to do everything. 

Yea....I thought the super tweeters were junk I first got them and was going to throw them away!...lol. I thought...what the hell...take a look at Bay completions and was shocked to see what they were going for. Then I saw it had a crossover with one cap and was hefty. Was gonna sell these 2x's anyways so sold the tweeters. I still have those 2ax's with the alnico woofers that are still all original and sound crazy good that I am keeping sooooo....... 

Archived