AR Turntable thread

npt3

Aaaaaaand, here’s the finished product. It cleaned up very well, the dust cover polished up nicely, and the suspension was in great shape - no adjustments needed. :)  The tonearm damping was shot, so I disabled that, and I’ve gotten the LPGear upgrade stylus.  

EA299F59-48ED-418B-A9C0-A504DCE99825.jpeg

786AC2AC-EAF1-4D1E-97AE-7639E6056FE3.jpeg

Shameless self promotion: That's one of my repro AR badges on there. For future reference, any CSP member can PM me for a discount off the eBay price.

Kent

• 1 year later...

I have the first AR turntable with 2 motors, without the tonearm, I will also modify it and put a carbon fiber tonearm. And I will put a new low noise motor to lower the rumble.

I love the wood case, it's real wallnut wood.

I have sold my 2 other turntables, and I will keep only the AR.

Useful links:

vinylnirvana.com/ar-models
vinylnirvana.com/vintage-turntables-for-sale/gorgeous-ar-the-turntable-infinity-black-widow-many-mods
vinylnirvana.com/vintage-turntables-for-sale
wisepick.org/best-record-player

• 3 weeks later...

Still using an almost completely stock single motor AR-XA.

It has had maintenance lubrication twice in the last ten years.

I replaced the original black beauty cap with an orange drop.

It originally had an M-44E, now has an M-91ED with late production Shure replacement stylus.

I also have a couple of the Tonar stylii that really aren't too bad.

I tried a V-15 III but the arm seemed to be a  bit high mass for that cart.

Folks hearing it for the first time can't believe the reproduction that this fifty year old vinyl scraper is capable of.

On 4/19/2019 at 2:56 AM, Ult1mat3X said:

I have the first AR turntable with 2 motors, without the tonearm, I will also modify it and put a carbon fiber tonearm. And I will put a new low noise motor to lower the rumble.

I love the wood case, it's real wallnut wood.

I have sold my 2 other turntables, and I will keep only the AR.

Useful links:

vinylnirvana.com/ar-models
vinylnirvana.com/vintage-turntables-for-sale/gorgeous-ar-the-turntable-infinity-black-widow-many-mods
vinylnirvana.com/vintage-turntables-for-sale
wisepick.org/best-record-player

I have a 2 motor, earlier "TA" version of the XA. It's been restored by Marc Morin, and it's a wonderful sounding and looking table. I rotate it with my other belt drive manual, a Fairchild 412. I have trouble deciding which one I like more. They're both great! I also have 3 automatic idlers that get a lot of time, particularly when I'm lazy. 

Hard to determine which table I could live with forever if I had to choose just one. Luckily, I don't(at least for now...). 

0616171626.jpg

Archived