Hooking up a McIntosh 2205 amp to the LST's...wow!

lakecat

Got the 2205 late last week and been too busy to install it....but finally today got the deed done. This is one heavy beast of an amp at over 85lbs!  No preamp yet so just hooked my Sony ES cd player directly to amp and......just total amazement. For the first time, I could play the LST's over a hundred watts and higher and the 2205 was barely warm!..hurray! And the sound is true heaven....crisp, clear, clean and powerful in spades. 

I have an audio friend coming over next week to pick up his AR3a's with alnico woofers that I refinished for him and new caps....and he's gonna chit when he hears them through this amp....lol. I could never play the 4ohm AR's over 30-40 watts of bass heavy music with my other systems without shutting them down....so those days are gone....:) 

Anyone have this amp in their system? 

Great amplifier, lakecat!

We had the MC2205 with our very first set of AR-9's, and it was just a beautiful match. I think it was the last of the Mac chromed-chassis amps, and besides excellent sound & ultra-reliability, it's been going up in value! The "Hold" setting for the meters is also great for monitoring the peak output level. 

You're going to have a lot of fun with your LST's.

7 hours ago, ar_pro said:

Great amplifier, lakecat!

We had the MC2205 with our very first set of AR-9's, and it was just a beautiful match. I think it was the last of the Mac chromed-chassis amps, and besides excellent sound & ultra-reliability, it's been going up in value! The "Hold" setting for the meters is also great for monitoring the peak output level. 

You're going to have a lot of fun with your LST's.

Not to mention it is simply pretty too...with the large blue meters and trim. I looked at Adcom and others but wanted pretty to go with substance. I decided on the MX-117 pretuner for a match...so on the hunt. First foray into seperates....

2 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Go Big or Go Home philosophy?  A very good choice.  Nice amp and system.  Congratulations, and good luck with the preamp search.  :D

Exactly!..lol. Thanks...

1 hour ago, ar_pro said:

Uh, oh.

With the MX117 tuner/preamp in the system, you'll be in danger of wanting one of these:

mpi4.jpg

That's it....start trouble.....:)  I was looking at cabinets for the 2205 with the panloc system.....and thinking.....how does one install or remove the amp form the cabinet without losing fingers!?????

4 hours ago, lakecat said:

Exactly!..lol. Thanks...

That's it....start trouble.....:)  I was looking at cabinets for the 2205 with the panloc system.....and thinking.....how does one install or remove the amp form the cabinet without losing fingers!?????

If it were mine, I'd just forgo the cabinet and leave it as is with the glorious guts hanging out the back of the pretty front plate.

1 hour ago, AR surround said:

If it were mine, I'd just forgo the cabinet and leave it as is with the glorious guts hanging out the back of the pretty front plate.

Well...I am a wood guy so it would look unfinished to me. If I had a rack system...maybe.

Hi Lakecat!
It is very nice set up with the big power MAC..

BTW I had saw the monster Legendary 2300 MAC at the Estate sale recently and passed it, Mac 2300 ( weights 128 pounds ) $1500 O.B.O, Mac C-39 AV/ control center $500 O.B.O later when I got home thinking again about that MAC equipment I very regret passed the chance to buy it ...
IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

18 hours ago, Liangshan Marsh said:

Hi Lakecat!
It is very nice set up with the big power MAC..

BTW I had saw the monster Legendary 2300 MAC at the Estate sale recently and passed it, Mac 2300 ( weights 128 pounds ) $1500 O.B.O, Mac C-39 AV/ control center $500 O.B.O later when I got home thinking again about that MAC equipment I very regret passed the chance to buy it ...
IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

What a beast!..... yea....funny how you talk yourself out of items....then smack yourself later. That was a pretty good deal. Wasn't this the amp that the Grateful Dead used back in the day with their stacked system?

Lakecat, congrats on the MC2205 + LSTs.  I would love to hear that.   Coincidentally, a friend of mine, a recording engineer, heard I was getting into 70s hifi, and so he loaned me his MC2205.  We had to carry it to my car together, and I got my son to help me when I got home.    I don't think I've got speakers big enough to handle it - the biggest I have are AR-2axs.

Rob

4 hours ago, kurt45 said:

Good luck finding one.

I did find one. McIntoshAudio had two and talked to a Tom Delaney about it. Very nice and interesting fellow who has been around the audio block per say and highly respected. The only downside is I won't get it until they go over it really well since they guarantee them for a year...and that will take around eight weeks since they are so damn busy. Will have all paperwork and the all important McIntosh shipping box. 

Congrats Cat!

I looked at the McIntoshAudio site and noticed under "Non-McIntosh for Sale" they have a category "Floobydust". Have you bought any Floobydust from them? Is it high quality floobydust or just run-of-the-mill? How much dust does one flooby produce? :D

Had to google that one: http://www.pinktronix.com.au/flooby-1-the-national-semiconductor-audio-radio-handbook.htm

5 hours ago, JKent said:

Congrats Cat!

I looked at the McIntoshAudio site and noticed under "Non-McIntosh for Sale" they have a category "Floobydust". Have you bought any Floobydust from them? Is it high quality floobydust or just run-of-the-mill? How much dust does one flooby produce? :D

Had to google that one: http://www.pinktronix.com.au/flooby-1-the-national-semiconductor-audio-radio-handbook.htm

Lol!....I never noticed that heading but I can see their sense of humor after talking to Tom. We chatted for about an hour over the weekend...and at one point, whipped out a joke. So I told him my joke of the week.....

Two kids were playing in the yard and the one kid asked the other, "do you pray before dinner?"......to which the other kid remarked, " no....my mom is a good cook!".....:)

4 hours ago, ar_pro said:

Exciting news, lakecat.

Would your seller be Tom Manley? He and Terry DeWick are very well-regarded McIntosh experts, and will be able to get your new MX-117 into best condition.

Will you be buying cabinets for both components?

Yes....Tom Manley....my goof. I haven't decided yet on cabinets. I may make a wood rack system for them and the Sony ES CD player I use. My space is narrow for the units so I want to stack them...but with a nice wood rack I think. Just getting time to do this is the problem. I looked at a few wood racks but don't want to spend $600 plus for them. 

Archived