Opinions on glue for grills

lakecat

I have the AR3's that I have refinished but when I got them there wasn't any grills. I made up some grills with 3/16" Masonite and added 1/8" paint sticks to this Masonite cut to size for top and sides so the 1/4" staple would not come thru the front when applying the grill material. I found out that after applying the grill material, the grills were very difficult to install and was just a tad too thick to slide into slots easily. So I spent a lot of time carefully removing ALL the staples to save the hard to get matching 3's material....and pitching the Masonite grills.

I found a pair of OEM plastic grills for the 3's and got them. I don't want to staple the material to this plastic so looking at contact or sticky glues that I could use for this plastic. I noticed that a lot of material on these AR3 grills were not fastened on sides but I want to. I  cut thin pieces of wood paint sticks and glued them into the slots on sides of grills to give a flat spot on sides for the glue. Now....I am looking for a decent glue that would work for plastic and grill material to adhere together.

I have some spray contact cement that I use for other projects but wonder if that would work long term. I am picturing a tacky glue but have not found anything. Any suggestions?

"Super Tape" might work.  This may be the cleanest and easiest option depending on the fabric that you are using,

I used the version sold at Joann's Fabrics for the last set of grills that I refinished (not AR).  The sell similar products on Amazon that are less expensive.

http://www.joann.com/super-tape-1-2in-roll-strong-double-sided-clear-tape-with-red-liner--heat-and-water-resistant/10962892.html#q=super%2Btape&start=3

Glitch

I sell a lot of premium linen grille cloth to vintage speaker owners. With it, I provide written instructions on how to install the cloth using a method I used on many cloth installs.

Aileen tacky glue on all four sides, then fold the corners and staple only there. 

PM me and I'll be glad to email you those instructions.

Thanks for thoughts on the different approaches. I thought about hot glue but worry about age with it....especially with the flexing of removing and installing. The tape looks interesting but wanted something not seen such as a glue. Finally, I worry about the tacky glue not holding the AR3 material. It is not a cloth but is almost a plastic and stiff to work with.

I talked with a craftsman today and he recoo'd E6000 and am going to try it. Has many of the qualities I am looking for. I may use spots of hot glue to hold material till this glue sets up. Video here is anyone is interested......  

48 minutes ago, lakecat said:

he recoo'd E6000 and am going to try it

DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!

I used it on an AR-3 saran grille. It oozed through the grille a bit and left noticeable pink stains on the long sides. I believe the solvent in the E6000 dissolved the plastic frame a bit, causing the pink color because the E6000 is clear.

-Kent

AR3 glue 2.jpg

lakecat,

The "super tape" is a double sided tape.  The tape will be covered by the fabric when you are done.  I used a stretchy material on the last set of grills that I recovered.  IMHO, the tape made the job much easier than glue.  For the first pass I lightly pressed the material into the tape.  I could then reposition the material to get the right amount of tension and adjust the pattern.  Once I was happy with the results, I pressed the material hard into the tape to make it permanent.

I wouldn't use the tape if I was attempting a "restoration".  Also, I don't think it would work well for folded corners.  Hot melt or other glue may be helpful here if you are trying not to use staples. 

I can't comment about the longevity of the product.  I'm guessing that it will hold up pretty well.  I tried to readjust the fabric on one of the grills a week after I originally recovered them.  I ended up ripping the fabric instead of lifting it from the tape (i.e the tape bonds well). 

I haven't tried this with a heavier linen type material.  The tape definitely won't "bleed through."  However, it might not "grab" deep enough into the (thick) fabric to really hold the fibers.

I was skeptical about the tape the first time I heard about it.  I bought a roll to experiment with and was pleasantly surprised.  I figured if the tape didn't work for the grills, I could use it for something else.  You can never have too many different kinds of tape on hand.

Glitch

5 hours ago, lakecat said:

I may head there and get that tape and try it. First glance I thought it was red....but see it is clear.

Hey Jeff,

I've successfully used heavy duty spray adhesive. Just spray the frame, and carefully place the material over it...then trim if necessary. I leave enough material over the edge to tuck it in the cabinet molding groove without folding it over the edge of the frame.

I've attached a couple of photos.

Roy

DSC00116.JPG

DSC00117.JPG

Hi Roy. I was originally going to do that but I want to wrap material so it doesn't fray. 

I ended up getting a roll of glue dots and decided to try the E-6000 despite the fear of being messy with it. I stood in the JoAnne's fabric store for an hour looking at glues and tapes and fasteners...lol.

I worked on one yesterday and got sides done. Top and bottom today...then see how it looks. So far...so good...:) Using clamps and weight also.

Hey Cat

One way to prevent fraying is to cut the Mellotone grille material with a hot knife. There are specific "hot knife" tools but I think you can get a knife blade for your soldering iron.

I assume you're using the Mellotone. It's hard to get it to lay flat or go around edges. Someone suggested heating it with a hair dryer. I have not tried that, after destroying some old KLH Model 21 radio grilles, but the Mellotone may be more durable.

Sorry I didn't find this sooner, but when I did mine I used 3M spray adhesive.

-Kent

12 08 21_5246.JPG

Okay...got one done and this is what I did. I glued wood from thin paint sticks into grooves on back to have a glue surface. The grill material already had some bend in it from being on the previous grills I made and discarded. I used glue dots every several inches on back and then then a stream of E-6000 and pressed one side at a time into place and then clamped it. I waited for around fifteen minutes for then 6000 to set up a little and then used my old grills for a straight edge to even out the grill material on back and then clamped again. After an hour, I removed clamps and removed old grill to see if it was sticking to glue. I rubbed a little wax on old grill so it wouldn't stick and reapplied the old grill to back of new grill and laid a weight on it for overnight.

The next day, I did the other side and repeated the steps. Yes, it took four days to do one grill but only about a half hour of time each day. Just wanted the glue to set completely before doing another side. After all four sides were done, I trimmed the excess with a razor blade and melted corners together with a screw driver heated up a little. So....I did manage to bend this material and being set in the glue, I don't think it will ever unravel....:)

Hmm....won't let me put in any pics.  Says...."You are only allowed to upload 931.84kb"....anyone know why? Not enough for even one pic.

• 4 years later...
41 minutes ago, kryten79 said:

@Carlspeak Would you please send the instructions you've worked up for stretching and attaching grill cloth?  I tried to PM you but it says you cannot receive messages.

Sadly, our friend Carl passed away. The information on this thread should be helpful. Post any specific questions you may have.

Kent

aha. I'm sorry to hear.

I removed the grills from the AR-2ax speakers I've had stashed.  It's their turn across the bench.  It took an hour each and the glue spots were not cooperating.  Also, the spots were along the edges, like several places with no glue across the middle section.  Kinda makes sense as that is the weakest place.  As it turns out, I am not going to remove and recover the grills.  The existing grills are in great shape, only one tiny hole in one and my wife prefers the aged natural thread look over the new Wichelt Lambswool.  She also said she prefers the uneven thread thickness.