I'm afraid they won't get any cheaper.........

frankmarsi

Vintage Acoustic Research - AR3a Speakers All Original

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Acoustic-Research-AR3a-Speakers-All-Original-/291997677231

Although I already have three pairs waiting for me to apply some TLC*, if I were close enough, I'd definitely go get these.

FM

* The LST's have taken over my life entirely as I don't have a need to listen to any other speaker at this point in my life.

Tomorrow never knows but, those B&W 800's always catch my eye.

* The LST's have taken over my life entirely as I don't see any need to listen to any other speaker.

I understand that totally. I used to be the same, staying with one pair of speakers for a long time.  Then I started to visit thrift stores and was fortunate enough to acquire, at a relative low cost,  some well known models from KEF(101 and 102), Celestion(6L), Spendor SP-1 as well as those from AR, Advent, EPI, Infinity, Revox, B&O, and MB Quart. Usually I kept them for a while and then let them go to other people. By doing so I don’t feel any strong attachment to any particular speakers. More recently, I acquired a pair of used Infinity Reference R162 speakers. Assisted by a pair of 12” NHT subwoofers(used in NHT 3.3), this combination provide sufficient low bass and clean mid and high that really come alive with vocals and string music.

“the top end with particular delicacy, finesse, and yes, attention to detail. No, there was no phony edge enhancement; these speakers were candid rather than ruthless. They also benefited from sharp transients across the frequency spectrum. All of this contributed to superb imaging.
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/infinity-reference-r162-speaker-system#lDqAhgsdvOmXDPuO.97

Dear ligs, I can appreciate your opinion but, being an 'AR-man' since I first heard AR-4's in 1963 and buying my first AR-3a's in 1972 at 22 years old, I actually have no desire to change. Besides, I'm too far gone as I own a multitude of spare parts and many other AR speakers, I could open a small store. My collection spans the realm of 4xa's all the way to AR-9's. And, I only dwell with-in the confines of the true classics, none of those johnny come lately-s for me, no sir-re bob!

When the AR-LST's first came out in mid-1972, I had dreamed that some day I probably would have a chance to own them. Years went by and outside distractions (called life, career, women, wine and song),

allowed me to more or less forget about that long ago dream. When in 1987, I was offered 5 LST's (one being wrecked beyond saving), I jumped at the opportunity and found myself being-

a devoted owner. I realized I was now in the AR 'big-league' of years gone by. I had not, nor do I even today really dream of considering other speakers. I fully know how accurate and great the LST's sound, why should I bother? Sure, the 1980's and1990's had the Apogees, Infinity Servo-Statics, etc, but, they're monstrous in size and I feel they overly dominate a room more than I care to live with. Four stacked LST's already do that to an extent but, they're my pride and joy and occupy one whole wall in my living room unto themselves.

For one the cost of really good speakers have become a situation where only a small percentage of folks can afford them and although I could make a small loan, I'd rather stay with my dream-boats of yesteryear as I feel the are, and certainly sound phenomenal.

I now have the knowledge that of what my  vintage-system has become, especially presently, I have no need to look elsewhere. Plus,  I've become so immersed with music, more than ever before, I'm completely content.

Oddly enough, I married for life to them and I'm very, very happy about it. Of course when I was much younger I might've strayed but, today, I'm staying put!

FM

P.S. Most younger speaker guys don't really know what a big deal LST's were back in the seventies.

On a similar note, in this morning's Portland, OR Craigslist there's a pair of 10pi's listed for $300. Missing grills and logos and both tweeters look dinged in, but foam looks recent and cabs in good shape. With no room for any more speakers, I'll have to let these go by.  Unless I see the price go down...

25 minutes ago, genek said:

On a similar note, in this morning's Portland, OR Craigslist there's a pair of 10pi's listed for $300. Missing grills and logos and both tweeters look dinged in, but foam looks recent and cabs in good shape. With no room for any more speakers, I'll have to let these go by.  Unless I see the price go down...

Things are hot with AR's in chilly Oregon.......https://portland.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=ar+speakers

14 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

Dear ligs, I can appreciate your opinion but, being an 'AR-man' since I first heard AR-4's in 1963 and buying my first AR-3a's in 1972 at 22 years old, I actually have no desire to change. Besides, I'm too far gone as I own a multitude of spare parts and many other AR speakers, I could open a small store. My collection spans the realm of 4xa's all the way to AR-9's. And, I only dwell with-in the confines of the true classics, none of those johnny come lately-s for me, no sir-re bob!

When the AR-LST's first came out in mid-1972, I had dreamed that some day I probably would have a chance to own them. Years went by and outside distractions (called life, career, women, wine and song),

allowed me to more or less forget about that long ago dream. When in 1987, I was offered 5 LST's (one being wrecked beyond saving), I jumped at the opportunity and found myself being-

a devoted owner. I realized I was now in the AR 'big-league' of years gone by. I had not, nor do I even today really dream of considering other speakers. I fully know how accurate and great the LST's sound, why should I bother? Sure, the 1980's and1990's had the Apogees, Infinity Servo-Statics, etc, but, they're monstrous in size and I feel they overly dominate a room more than I care to live with. Four stacked LST's already do that to an extent but, they're my pride and joy and occupy one whole wall in my living room unto themselves.

For one the cost of really good speakers have become a situation where only a small percentage of folks can afford them and although I could make a small loan, I'd rather stay with my dream-boats of yesteryear as I feel the are, and certainly sound phenomenal.

I now have the knowledge that of what my  vintage-system has become, especially presently, I have no need to look elsewhere. Plus,  I've become so immersed with music, more than ever before, I'm completely content.

Oddly enough, I married for life to them and I'm very, very happy about it. Of course when I was much younger I might've strayed but, today, I'm staying put!

FM

P.S. Most younger speaker guys don't really know what a big deal LST's were back in the seventies.

Dear Frank, 

I could have stayed with only AR if AR was the first brand I ever purchased thus got imprinted for life. But I started building my speakers from parts(most from Norelco) as a hobby when I was a teenager. The first pair of commercial speakers I purchased  were Goodmans Maxim 1's, I did not purchase my first AR4x's until 1970 in my graduate school days. 

Therefore, as far as only speakers are concerned , I was born under a wandering star like this song. 

16 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

Things are hot with AR's in chilly Oregon.......https://portland.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=ar+speakers

geez, 10pi's for $300, AR90's for $500? glad I'm not out there, or my wife would be PISSED!

It would be a bottomless pit. You start by cleaning up the cabinets. Then you have to undent the tweeters. Then recap. Then replace the grills and logos. Then the classic X stands are all wrong and you have to hunt for or recreate the black steel cantilever stands. Then you start thinking about Jerry's biamping scheme, and before you know it, you're ordering a new receiver.

By the time you're done, those $300 10pi's have cost you $1000. And there's still that $500 pair of 90s, and I wonder what happened with that guy in Longview who had that pair of AR-9's for $600...

Archived