Roy F. Allison: 1927–2016

tysontom

Roy-Allison_Australian_HiFi_002.thumb.jp

Roy Allison, from Steve Mowry interview in Australian HiFi, Jan-Feb 2011

Roy Allison, 88, died on March 1, 2016 in Manchester, New Hampshire after an extended illness.  He is survived by his wife and three children. 

Mr. Allison was an acoustics researcher, loudspeaker designer and author of dozens of audio articles and a book, High Fidelity Systems, A User's Guide.  His contributions to the science of sound reproduction are well-known and respected throughout the audio community.  In 1959, he began work at Acoustic Research, Incorporated as Assistant to President Edgar Villchur and soon became chief engineer and  then plant manager; by 1967, he was made Vice President of Manufacturing and Engineering.  He helped the company maintain its industry leadership for many years and was instrumental in the creation of many of the company's most time-honored products, including AR-3a, AR-5, AR-4x, AR-6, AR-7 and AR-LST loudspeakers, the AR Amplifier, FM Tuner and Receiver, as well as improvements to the AR XA Turntable.  His continued vigilance of AR's industry-leading customer-service policies and internal employee relations helped the company maintain its industry-leading position for many years.

After leaving AR in 1972, Mr. Allison did research into room-boundary acoustics and its interaction with loudspeakers, and in 1974 he cofounded Allison Acoustics, Inc., to build loudspeakers of his design (under his 1975 patent #3,983,333) to specifically address these room-boundary problems.  Allison Acoustics manufactured many highly respected, successful speakers during this period, such as the Model One, Two, Three and others.  By 1990, Mr. Allison formed two other companies, RDL Acoustics and RAL, primarily a mail-order loudspeaker business.  In 2000, Allison Acoustics was revived by new owners and moved to Kentucky, where new products emerged, and by this time Roy Allison retired to write and to perform freelance speaker design.

—Tom Tyson

This is a brief obituary on Roy Allison.  Further information and a detailed obituary will follow.

In this crazy world of audio, Roy was always my ultimate "hero".

His genius brought the sound of real world acoustic instruments home like no other.

When others opted for platinum or titanium, Roy stuck with his "treated" paper for all the right reasons. (driver design)

Hats off to one of the greatest of all time in his field, and a wonderful person....he will be missed.

Bill Mina

Thanks, Tom, for distributing the sad news and providing the photo. This attached pic from 2014, cribbed from another website, has always delighted me. This woman had just purchased a pair of speakers directly from Roy in NH, and their mutual joy with this particular transaction appears evident.

Roy A and drummergirl.jpg

Wow.  RIP roy.  Huge impact on many folks enjoyment of music.  That is a pretty personal thing.

Of course I read this news as I listen to music through his Allison Ones here in my home office.  Thats no lie.

Roy´s articles about room acoustics in 1980´s are very informative and sound minded. 

RIP Roy...

On 3/2/2016 at 4:32 PM, tysontom said:

Roy-Allison_Australian_HiFi_002.thumb.jp

Roy Allison, from Steve Mowry interview in Australian HiFi, Jan-Feb 2011

Roy Allison, 88, died on March 1, 2016 in Manchester, New Hampshire after an extended illness.  He is survived by his wife and three children. 

Mr. Allison was an acoustics researcher, loudspeaker designer and author of dozens of audio articles and a book, High Fidelity Systems, A User's Guide.  His contributions to the science of sound reproduction are well-known and respected throughout the audio community.  In 1959, he began work at Acoustic Research, Incorporated as Assistant to President Edgar Villchur and soon became chief engineer and  then plant manager; by 1967, he was made Vice President of Manufacturing and Engineering.  He helped the company maintain its industry leadership for many years and was instrumental in the creation of many of the company's most time-honored products, including AR-3a, AR-5, AR-4x, AR-6, AR-7 and AR-LST loudspeakers, the AR Amplifier, FM Tuner and Receiver, as well as improvements to the AR XA Turntable.  His continued vigilance of AR's industry-leading customer-service policies and internal employee relations helped the company maintain its industry-leading position for many years.

After leaving AR in 1972, Mr. Allison did research into room-boundary acoustics and its interaction with loudspeakers, and in 1974 he cofounded Allison Acoustics, Inc., to build loudspeakers of his design (under his 1975 patent #3,983,333) to specifically address these room-boundary problems.  Allison Acoustics manufactured many highly respected, successful speakers during this period, such as the Model One, Two, Three and others.  By 1990, Mr. Allison formed two other companies, RDL Acoustics and RAL, primarily a mail-order loudspeaker business.  In 2000, Allison Acoustics was revived by new owners and moved to Kentucky, where new products emerged, and by this time Roy Allison retired to write and to perform freelance speaker design.

—Tom Tyson

This is a brief obituary on Roy Allison.  Further information and a detailed obituary will follow.

Audioholics, an on-line audio publication, has just published my tribute to Roy Allison:

http://www.audioholics.com/news/a-tribute-to-roy-f.-allison

--Tom Tyson

1 hour ago, tysontom said:

Audioholics, an on-line audio publication, has just published my tribute to Roy Allison:

http://www.audioholics.com/news/a-tribute-to-roy-f.-allison

--Tom Tyson

Hi Tom,

Thank you for those wonderful tributes, both here and at Audioholics (one of my favorite "reality check" sites.)

For those of us fortunate enough to keep Roy's loudspeakers humming, the tribute will never end.

Bill Mina

• 2 weeks later...

As a young speaker engineer I wrote to many companies looking for work.  Roy was the only one who took the time to write back and offer some personal advice and a friendly note..

A true gentleman.

Rest in Peace Roy

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/2/2020 at 11:14 AM, Kenbuchan said:

Is this the model one 

I can’t post a photo buts its a 10 speaker cabinet.   It’s beautiful. I cannot find any info about them and no model number is given 

The Allison 20 was the only 10 speaker (driver) cabinet to ever come from Allison. 

Plenty of info available here on this site about them. 

The Allison One was a six driver cabinet.

Bill

Edited by newandold