One way to deal with those pesky pots

owlsplace

A Bubba pot mod on the auction site: 1) remove the lock nut on the pot and push inside the enclosure; 2) insert hole saw and carefully cut a hole the size of the pot; 3) pull pot through the hole, etc. Finally, solder a jumper between the wiper disc and the nichrome wire and stuff partially back into the enclosure to permit additional air-cooling.

Hmmmm, could have added a few more leads on the nichrome wire and a switch and made it adjustable :)

Not sure how the polarity on the posts was changed.

post-173498-0-92385300-1431456416_thumb.

Roger

According to the seller; "the tone controls Posts are missing but the speakers still sound great."

Ha! And there are 9 bids already.

Ha! I believe the acoustic seal may have been compromised. ^_^

A side note: what is it about the AR warranty card and instruction sheet that so fascinates eBay & Craigslist sellers?

Why do they almost seem compelled to include multiple close-up photos of these paper stickers, often at the expense of neglecting important cosmetic details?

That recent LST auction originally had two photos of inspection stickers, and zero showing the hacked-in tweeters!

Well, the cabs and drivers look good and the prices of AR-4x's seem to be on the up and up... here is the number for those dying of curiosity: 191576779233

Update: Well the pair sold for just under $250 delivered :rolleyes:

2ax's seem to being doing well these days also.

• 2 months later...

Well, the former owner of the pair mentioned above looks like quite a character although the cabs look more like 2's or 5's to me.

Link to his obit below:

Dr. Robert Washburn, 85, Potsdam, NY

"His further studies included a summer at the Aspen Music School where he studied with Darius Milhaud, and a season in Paris with Nadia Boulanger. He also participated in seminars at the Sorbonne in Paris and at the University of Oxford in England...."

http://northcountrynow.com/obituaries/dr-robert-washburn-85-potsdam

Gene at least they didn't modify the cabinets :)

Roger

Well, the former owner of the pair mentioned above looks like quite a character although the cabs look more like 2's or 5's to me.

Link to his obit below:

Dr. Robert Washburn, 85, Potsdam, NY

"His further studies included a summer at the Aspen Music School where he studied with Darius Milhaud, and a season in Paris with Nadia Boulanger. He also participated in seminars at the Sorbonne in Paris and at the University of Oxford in England...."

http://northcountrynow.com/obituaries/dr-robert-washburn-85-potsdam

Those once were AR-2ax's. I would offer the seller $25 for the grills. What a mess, indeed. :unsure:

Roy

With a major price drop ;)

I suggested to the seller to change his marketing strategy.

He did open them up for photos and they are nothing to write home about.

I imagine the price will keep dropping. Looks like a polypro woofer with butyl surround and a soft dome tweeter -- no guess on the mid. Given the owners history it might be safe to think they are voiced reasonably well, but so is a nice set of AR-5's at the same price.

Roger

Archived